Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:57 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And this is the point I am trying to make...
But you are not a PhD.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Sorry but anyone can claim anything on here...No offense intended...
None taken. My smicha is available for view on line if you'd like to check on me.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:04 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
But you are not a PhD.
I am a very deep thinker...But, you would probably only realize that if you knew me well enough...I know for a fact that I could easily become a Rabbi (no arrogance intended there)...So, what makes you think that I am not a PhD?...Because I don't crow about it?...When I attended college for Engineering, I heard about a guy who, after graduating, bragged about how he cheated his way through and obtained a 4.0, with this garnering him a position in a company as head engineer, however, it came to light, eventually, that he couldn't even comprehend simple electronics because he never actually learned it, he cheated instead...I, on the other hand, drove my professors crazy with questions because I desired to know, not just the facts, but why things worked the way they worked...I became intimate with the workings of electronics, not just that this is the way it worked, but why it worked that way...I am the same with everything, especially Religion...Especially G-d...

Old 01-03-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
because the Torah has layer upon layer upon layer of meaning. It goes on infinitely, it never stops.
One rabbi expounds on one meaning, another on another.
Torah is like a beautiful diamond with many facets, throwing brilliant colors and light in every direction. One rabbi describes the illumination he sees, another describes another.
I'll go with the Rabbi's short explanation...Since you are not a Rabbi...Your explanation sounds like Kabbalah...However, the layers sound as if you are talking about PaRDeS...Which I am very familiar with...But, I appreciate your weigh in...

Old 01-03-2016, 11:57 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
not just that this is the way it worked, but why it worked that way...I am the same with everything, especially Religion...Especially G-d...
and if someone said to you, you are obligated to put into practice everything that you learn in Torah....what would your response be?
because that is one indicator of whether a student is ready to learn, whether he is capable of learning. you may not be.

a teacher might teach you one thing, and until you put that into practice in your life to become a better Jew, then they won't teach you anything else. what would your response to that be?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-04-2016 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 04:45 AM

Quote:
I am a very deep thinker...But, you would probably only realize that if you knew me well enough...I know for a fact that I could easily become a Rabbi (no arrogance intended there)...So, what makes you think that I am not a PhD?...Because I don't crow about it?...When I attended college for Engineering, I heard about a guy who, after graduating, bragged about how he cheated his way through and obtained a 4.0, with this garnering him a position in a company as head engineer, however, it came to light, eventually, that he couldn't even comprehend simple electronics because he never actually learned it, he cheated instead...I, on the other hand, drove my professors crazy with questions because I desired to know, not just the facts, but why things worked the way they worked...I became intimate with the workings of electronics, not just that this is the way it worked, but why it worked that way...I am the same with everything, especially Religion...Especially G-d...
so you are not a PhD. Nor a rabbi. And while PaRD"S might be a useful way to word it, I think Shiv'im Panim is useful here. http://www.mesora.org/shivimpanim.html

Old 01-04-2016, 06:08 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
so you are not a PhD. Nor a rabbi. And while PaRD"S might be a useful way to word it, I think Shiv'im Panim is useful here. Shivim Panim L'Torah
I am so tired that there now three of you who in my point of view don't have enough knowledge together to make up what would be a Rabbi. We now have one who claims to be one and two who try to emulate a Rabbi but know nothing more than what you can parrot out. And you, Rosends, who claims to be a Rabbi have lost your path in understanding what it takes to become one and having a PhD is not one of them. Furthermore why don't you take time a to read your own link and think about what is written there.

Quote:
I feel that this approach of false humility is one of the causes for so many young students leaving learning. Teaching students and children that we can't question a Rashi or a Tosfos is basically telling them that the Torah just has to be followed without understanding. How can we expect our children to love learning if their minds are not stimulated by questions? If they aren't given the courtesy as equal human beings to receive dignified attention to their questions? We must all urge students to ask their questions. And if as parents or teachers we don't know the answers, we must tell them "I don't know". Compliment them as well on their questions. You will never see a student or child light up as much as when they have a great question, and they are told so. Teachers must be on their guard not to seek consistent reinforcement of their authority by squelching a students zeal. This ruins what might be a great student.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:26 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
and if someone said to you, you are obligated to put into practice everything that you learn in Torah....what would your response be?
because that is one indicator of whether a student is ready to learn, whether he is capable of learning. you may not be.

a teacher might teach you one thing, and until you put that into practice in your life to become a better Jew, then they won't teach you anything else. what would your response to that be?
And to you I give the same quote to another poster:

Quote:
I feel that this approach of false humility is one of the causes for so many young students leaving learning. Teaching students and children that we can't question a Rashi or a Tosfos is basically telling them that the Torah just has to be followed without understanding. How can we expect our children to love learning if their minds are not stimulated by questions? If they aren't given the courtesy as equal human beings to receive dignified attention to their questions? We must all urge students to ask their questions. And if as parents or teachers we don't know the answers, we must tell them "I don't know". Compliment them as well on their questions. You will never see a student or child light up as much as when they have a great question, and they are told so. Teachers must be on their guard not to seek consistent reinforcement of their authority by squelching a students zeal. This ruins what might be a great student.
Richard has taken time to learn and question. In not one post have you questioned what is written. You parrot a lesson and question nothing. Why don't you go back to your posts from 3+ years ago and read them. You are doing the complete opposite of what you typed back then. You questioned and didn't blindly follow in your old posts, yet now it is reversed. I'm sorry that neither you nor theflipflop had a true from day one Jewish education, but both of you are missing what was quoted by the poster who states he is a Rabbi.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 01-04-2016 at 06:44 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:

I hold to Torah, so there would not be a problem...Doing Mitzvot helps to make one a better person and who wouldn't want that?...

Old 01-04-2016, 07:43 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
"telling them that the Torah just has to be followed without understanding"
of course it does

it is through the doing that we gain the understanding
we will do and we will hear, is done in that order
not the other way around

"study is not the main thing, but action" Pirkei Avot 1:17

"He must do more than he understands. He cannot fulfill G-d's word only after he's figured it out and has made sense out of it. He must first do and only then attempt to understand."

--from this article on line: http://www.torah.org/learning/pirkei...pter3-12a.html

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-04-2016 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism