Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 555 times

Advertisements

Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Holly Jolly Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Let It Snow, Jingle Bell Rock, Winter Wonderland and Silver Bells were all written by Jews. We’re not even supposed to celebrate Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:49 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
It's not just the song writers, but the singers, too. Growing up, I always thought it was weird to hear Neal Diamond and Barbra Streisand sing not just secular Christmas songs, but also Christmas songs about Jesus. I guess that's show biz...

Old 04-19-2019, 04:54 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I would assume it was Jews trying to assimilate.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:01 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
I once read in an interview, I believe it was with Mel Torme, who co-wrote The Christmas Song ("Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...") that Jews wanted to participate in the Christmas holiday without the religion. So they wrote secular Christmas songs celebrating the holiday.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:33 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I once read in an interview, I believe it was with Mel Torme, who co-wrote The Christmas Song ("Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...") that Jews wanted to participate in the Christmas holiday without the religion. So they wrote secular Christmas songs celebrating the holiday.
That makes sense. Those were different times back then, and there were few ways to gain acceptance and thereby have the same opportunities as everyone else in America.

I'm glad that nowadays we have Jews writing songs about Jewish holidays that gentiles can also enjoy. Expressing our Jewishness in loving, positive (and sometimes humorous) ways is the best way to fight antisemitism, IMO.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:18 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Trebeard?...I assume that you a hobbit fan?...

Old 04-19-2019, 01:19 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
That makes sense. Those were different times back then, and there were few ways to gain acceptance and thereby have the same opportunities as everyone else in America.

I'm glad that nowadays we have Jews writing songs about Jewish holidays that gentiles can also enjoy. Expressing our Jewishness in loving, positive (and sometimes humorous) ways is the best way to fight antisemitism, IMO.

Your video is no working...

Old 04-19-2019, 06:34 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Just business as usual...

Song writers, book writers, scientists, doctors, businessmen, lawyers, keep going, whatever to do except hard physical labor...

Old 04-19-2019, 08:28 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just business as usual...

Song writers, book writers, scientists, doctors, businessmen, lawyers, keep going, whatever to do except hard physical labor...
Exactly. To me, the answer was obvious. For songwriters, there was money in writing those songs. They needed to earn a living.

I am a goy grateful that they did. That music is part of American culture of a certain time and place now.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:35 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
I still remember the first time we heard Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song. It really was monumental and did explain how the Jewish kids, even like myself who grew up in a very Jewish area, felt regarding Christmas. Particularly all the TV shows. Adam Sandler can do no wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism