Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 09:52 AM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Link to underlying article: Glimpses of ‘Lost Tribe’ Jewish Communities in India and Myanmar. Excerpt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times article
In 2017, while I was traveling through India, a friend from the northeastern state of Assam told me about the communities of Lost Tribe Jews in the neighboring state of Mizoram. Having grown up in a Jewish family without ever fully embracing the religion of my observant parents, I was intrigued and wanted to know more.....

Lost Tribe Jews, I soon learned, believe they are descended from the 10 tribes of Israel that were exiled from the ancient kingdom of Israel by Assyrians around the eighth century B.C. I decided to seek out members of the Lost Tribes and see if they would allow me to photograph their rituals and daily lives.

Over the last 30 years, thousands of members of the Lost Tribe communities in northeast India have relocated to Israel — partly because, in 2005, the Bnei Menashe were officially declared to have descended from the original tribe of Manasseh.
There are other Jewish communities that have interesting pasts as well. See Recife Journal; A Brazilian City Resurrects Its Buried Jewish Past. Excerpt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
And right in the middle of the busiest block, one of the most unusual archaeological projects ever undertaken in Brazil is under way: the excavation and reconstruction of the first synagogue built in the New World.The synagogue, Kahal Zur Israel, or Rock of Israel, flourished in the mid-1600's when the Dutch briefly controlled this part of northeastern Brazil and the sugar and tobacco plantations that made it rich. With the return of the Portuguese, though, Recife's Jews made their way to Manhattan, where they founded New York City's Jewish community.....

Even today, when Dr. Kaufman lectures in the interior, ''I am often approached by people who tell me, 'I think I might be Jewish,' '' she said. ''When I ask them why, they produce a menorah or a tattered prayer book and tell me it was handed down to their grandparents by their grandparents before them, or they tell me of family customs that fit squarely within the Sephardic tradition.''
''The ability of elements of faith to persist for so long in such isolation is truly an amazing thing,'' she said.
I have always been fascinated by Jewish history. Obviously our history is full of migration, usually under chaotic conditions. The disposition of the "Ten Lost Tribes" that had earlier separated, as the Kingdom of Israel from the Kingdom of Judea after King Solomon z"l died was of course totally without discernible pattern. Literally no one knows what happened to them, though there are Jewish or proto-Jewish communities in various places in Africa, India, possibly the above-referenced Myanmar, etc. The Recife community has a very strong claim to legitimacy as Jewish since it erupted into view right after more hospitable local government came into power.

What are the readings, thoughts and experience of others?

Last edited by jbgusa; 09-23-2021 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 09:10 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,879,375 times
I recently read about the Jews of Sicily who were forced to leave in the 15th century. Some of them went into hiding and pretended to be Christians, so that they wouldn't have to suffer homelessness.

I don't think this counts as "a lost tribe" -- but many European Jews were definitely lost to us when European nations either forced Christian conversion on them, expelled them from their homes, or outright murdered them.

I was especially fascinated to read how the hidden Sicilian Jews (as well as the hidden Jews of Spain and Portugal) managed to keep alive their faith and traditions.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I recently read about the Jews of Sicily who were forced to leave in the 15th century. Some of them went into hiding and pretended to be Christians, so that they wouldn't have to suffer homelessness. .
Was this similar to what the Spanish pejoratively called the "Marraños"?

Old 09-25-2021, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Was this similar to what the Spanish pejoratively called the "Marraños"?
Yes, exactly. The community in Palermo, Sicily, in particular, is rebuilding.

I know that New York Times links usually require registration, so if you can't get through to this link please let me know: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/w...expulsion.html

Old 09-25-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, exactly. The community in Palermo, Sicily, in particular, is rebuilding.

I know that New York Times links usually require registration, so if you can't get through to this link please let me know: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/w...expulsion.html
I am registered with the New York Times. If anyone wants the article I can PDF and email it with a DM.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am registered with the New York Times. If anyone wants the article I can PDF and email it with a DM.
Very thoughtful!

Old 09-25-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Very thoughtful!
I should have said "DM with email address."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism