Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times

Advertisements

I have noticed in the international and national religious polls the trend of a growing atheist population in Israel. (Over 50%) I have also noticed many of the Jewish culture I personally know are also not religious people. I wonder what event or knowledge is leading so many Hebrews from the old religious teachings and views of the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Maybe laying siege on other humans next door in the name of god is weighing on their conscience?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
I don't think its anything to have to do with the Jewish religion her per se. I think there is a global move towards secularized thinking going on and its happening in Isreal just like many other places. For us Americans, its seems odd because we are experiencing what seems like an increase in religiosity. However, America is a relatively young country compared to the rest of the world so maybe we are just experiencing something that these older countries experienced years ago and have since move forward from. It gives me hope that America will one day have its own move towards secularized thinking.

Another reason why it might seem weird is that the Jewish faith has a strong cultural component to it in addition to the religious aspects of it. Again, it might seem weird to those of us without a strong cultural element to our lives to see people cling to their cultural background but move away from the religious elements of that culture.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
It's not just the Jewish people who are coming to a realization that religion is a fallacy. The world is slowly but surely moving towards disbelief and the freedom from the chains of oppressive thought.

FYI, I consider this a good thing.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I have noticed in the international and national religious polls the trend of a growing atheist population in Israel. (Over 50%) I have also noticed many of the Jewish culture I personally know are also not religious people. I wonder what event or knowledge is leading so many Hebrews from the old religious teachings and views of the past?
It's a good thing for their neighbours

They will love to own Jerusalem some day, all of it, no Swiss-cheesing.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:44 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
I've posted it here time and time again. Many Jews, including some of their leading rabbis, STOPPED believing the literal truth of many things in the holy book. Some don't even believe Abraham or Moses existed OR existed in the capacity in which their holy writ tells them, much less the stories about some of their own ancient heroes. For a long while now they stopped believing in a literal hell, angels, demos, the devil and a few other things. That being said, it is interesting the same people who gave the Christian world half of their Bible treat that half of the bible as myth in great part, but many Christians in this country treat it as absolute truth AND look down on the Jews as lost, misguided blinded souls. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism