Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:37 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

I am so frustrated by this too. And the Boston Market thing actually made me remember something totally relevant to this discussion:

When I was a kid in the suburbs of St. Louis a Boston Market was built near our house and closed less than 3 years later. The building wasn't empty for long though -- Cingular took it over, renovated to their needs and moved in.

I don't know if this is because St. Peters did a better job at promoting smart growth -- even while expanding at a rapid pace -- or because Cingular recognized potential savings and took it, but whatever the reason, why can't this happen more often?!?

There was actually a KFC that turned into a bank now that I think of it too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I used to bank in an old Hardee's, got my dog groomed in the old Chamber of Commerce, ate dinner in an old freight house (although you can do that in KC, too), and published a newspaper out of a former Coast to Coast hardware store. This was in a small town that routinely repurposed buildings, though.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:37 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
I agree regarding the eggregious landuse and waste of resources with regard to land development in many outlying areas of the KC metro. The "me first" culture has created a lot of this waste by encouraging conspicuous consumption of all types of resources and consumer goods. This mentality is particularly evident in JOCO, and I say this with first-hand knowledge of the culture of the area- particularly outside 435.
Once again, no one is saying everyone should move to an urban area of KC, MO, but we could definitely greatly improve upon the suburban built environment as a majority of the population resides in this setting. Too often, the citizenry does not get involved at the city level- so positions of power are often held exclusively by real estate heavy hitters, corporate elites, and those that could care less what the average resident thinks about anything.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:11 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I agree regarding the eggregious landuse and waste of resources with regard to land development in many outlying areas of the KC metro. The "me first" culture has created a lot of this waste by encouraging conspicuous consumption of all types of resources and consumer goods. This mentality is particularly evident in JOCO, and I say this with first-hand knowledge of the culture of the area- particularly outside 435.
Once again, no one is saying everyone should move to an urban area of KC, MO, but we could definitely greatly improve upon the suburban built environment as a majority of the population resides in this setting. Too often, the citizenry does not get involved at the city level- so positions of power are often held exclusively by real estate heavy hitters, corporate elites, and those that could care less what the average resident thinks about anything.
But that is not to say that the average resident is up nights fretting about a Boston Market being torn down to make way for a new McDonald's - or whatever. In most cases, the citizenry is not involved because they simple don't care.

I can think of only one notable exception to that, from my perspective, in recent years. And that was the demolition of the Indian Hills Cinerama Theater in Omaha. That theater was one of only a handful built in the United States a was of singular historic value because its screen was the largest of them all. All of the the biggest movies played there in the 60s and 70s and I saw several while I lived there, including 2001: A Space Odyssey in 1968. An awesome experience I'll never forget.

Anyway, when I found out - from reading a post on the CD Omaha forum - that it had been demolished in 2001 despite public protests, I was speechless and stunned.

But most commercial development falls way short of historical significance, so the decisions made by private business will follow marketplace demand and continue with little public notice or concern - outside of changes to shopping habits.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
We drove past an old empty grocery store in Shawnee yesterday. The SO tells me it used to be a Schnucks (it looks just like one) and that it's been closed and empty more than a decade.

I am stunned by the number of empty commerical properties I see in that part of Shawnee. What should be a nice neighborhood looks almost blighted in spots and it's clearly because of consident overbuilding. That's not good for homeowners, and were I one of them being screwed by my own county gov't I would be livid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City