Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 AM

4 posts, read 5,033 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

I'm a 29 years old italian guy (so please excuse me for my bad english) living in Italy. I'm a diehard fan of the Kansas City Chiefs and when I was 18 years old, I realized the dream of my life: come to KC and go to the Arrowhead to see my Chiefs play. It was great, I say DT playing and everything was great..unbelivable atmosphere and experience.
After 12 years, since renovations of the New Arrowhead Stadium, and Chiefs finally in the playoffs again, I'd like to come back there. I bought a ticket for the playoff game and I will come all the way from Italy on thursday 6.
Since I'll stay there 4 days (I'll leave Jan 10th) do you have any suggestion for me for things to do and see?
What are the top 5 things (Arrowhead apart) I can't miss in KC? And where's the best shop for Chiefs merchandise witch cheap prices?
I read that January 7 at the Kansas City Power and Light District fom 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. there's Chiefs red friday but where's the power and light district? Is there an address?
Sorry for the tons of questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times
Do you know where your staying?
The Power and Light District is downtown, around 14th and Grand, its a pretty fun time

I do not suggest staying by the stadiums because it will be a long trip to all the sites.

A couple suggestions you should check out are the WWI Museum, The College Basketball Experience, The Country Club Plaza and a couple BBQ restaurants, my favorites are LC's BBQ by Arrowhead and Arthur Bryants for the Sausage

Will you be renting a car?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 AM

Thank you for your answer! I think I'll rent a car 'cause I saw that public transportation is really bad. In Italy If I want to go somewhere by bus you can do it easily, every place is covered with public buses. I watched http://www.kcata.org and I immediately saw that things are different there.
I took a room in a hotel near Arrowhead, 3 miles far, 6 minutes by car and 1 hour by bus?!? Definitely I'll rent a car so I can get to all sites easily.

I checked WWI museum and The College Basketball Experience and I badly want to get there! The college basketball experience especially, looks really funny!

What's the difference between a BBQ restaurant (are they fast food type like McDonald?) and a Steak House? I definitely want to try the world famous Kansas City BBQ

Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM

BBQ restaurant is just more laid back, you usually order at a register and then they call your number and you pick up the food. A steakhouse is a little fancier. If you want a little nicer BBQ with sit down service Jack Stack BBQ is a great place, the one in the Frieght House or the one on the plaza are both good options, that is another great BBQ place with some great side dishes, the Cheesy Corn Bake is awesome

Old 01-04-2011, 02:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
In the USA, buses are generally for "those" people .

Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Those Who? What kind of people?

@brewcrew: thank you for your precipue informations, I'll try one or two for sure! Tailgating outside Arrowhead would be' cool also!

Last edited by Arrowhead80; 01-04-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Lets us know what you think about our Airport

Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Depends where in the U.S. you live obviously. The bus I took in Chicago every day was filled with professionals.

Regardless, to the original poster, a car is definitely the best way to get around in a smaller American city like Kansas City, especially because it's a very long way from the airport to the stadiums.

But if you were ever to go to Chicago or New York it would be much easier to get around via public transportation. And for that matter, even a place like St. Louis. I flew to St. Louis last year and we stayed for 4 days and didn't rent a car. We just travelled around on the light rail, bus, or took a short cab ride.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 AM

Yes I've been in NY and Chicago also, and it's true, they have a good public transportation. In you will ever travel in London you'll not need a car also..much of the people living there don't even own a car.
The underground cover all the city and outside. Underground it's a good thing!

I read that MCI is one of the best medium/small airport in the US!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Depends where in the U.S. you live obviously. The bus I took in Chicago every day was filled with professionals.

Regardless, to the original poster, a car is definitely the best way to get around in a smaller American city like Kansas City, especially because it's a very long way from the airport to the stadiums.

But if you were ever to go to Chicago or New York it would be much easier to get around via public transportation. And for that matter, even a place like St. Louis. I flew to St. Louis last year and we stayed for 4 days and didn't rent a car. We just travelled around on the light rail, bus, or took a short cab ride.
well, yea, most the coastal cities are like that. I take buses and subways every day and it's nearly all professional commuters.

Even Denver, Minneapolis are like that to a lesser degree.

I guess I should have said KC and a few other cities.

For it's size (2 million), KC is probably the worst though. I know it has one of the smallest bus sytems in the nation for any metro over 1 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City