Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Our messages crossed wires:

Edit: Ok got a reference point: Bodge, Harrison R (Lucille), Cigars, 107 1/2 W Lexington, Res. 501 N. Main . . . 1940

Looks like it's at the site of today's "Game Cafe" In 1946 it was listed as Elsea's Lunch, and in the pic might have been Briggs Cafe to the left (with Deluxe Beauty & Barber Shop) Maybe Bunting Hardware to the right.
I recall Bunting Hardware being on the south side of the square on Lexington. They eventually moved to the north side on Maple and doubled their space. That area is now a parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:17 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Hints:
- Looking east
- Vastly different now
- The cross street across the bottom of the screen is, and was, Lee's Summit Road.
Crackerneck Rd?

Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Crackerneck Rd?
Close, but no cigar! I'm sure you'll be closer by next week...

Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Anthonie....what was the purpose back then of taking these nondescript photos? How I wish I had done the same but I couldn't forsee that value in shooting ordinary street scenes (shows how lacking foresight I am) Was this part of your job or a hobby or something else? They come in great 30 years later but I'm just wondering what prompted you to take these photos back in that time?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 PM

Default The Memorial Building

Just perusing TMB listing in 1960. I count 63 organizations with telephone numbers, including the Jr High School Cafeteria. Rather interesting list of tenants, from the standard Chambers of Commerce, Veterans groups (VFW), JaCo groups (Historical Society), civic groups (LWV), service groups (Kiwanis, Lions), City offices (Parks & Recreation), even up to your Favorite Draft Board (SS Board No. 48) which no doubt struck fear into the minds of WCHS et al.

The Sweet Adalines were balanced by their male counterparts: Society for Preservation of Encouragement of Barber Shop Singing in America"

As Jack Paar made famous: I kid you not !

Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Just perusing TMB listing in 1960. I count 63 organizations with telephone numbers, including the Jr High School Cafeteria. Rather interesting list of tenants, from the standard Chambers of Commerce, Veterans groups (VFW), JaCo groups (Historical Society), civic groups (LWV), service groups (Kiwanis, Lions), City offices (Parks & Recreation), even up to your Favorite Draft Board (SS Board No. 48) which no doubt struck fear into the minds of WCHS et al.

The Sweet Adalines were balanced by their male counterparts: Society for Preservation of Encouragement of Barber Shop Singing in America"

As Jack Paar made famous: I kid you not !
I recall going up to the draft board in the Memorial Building in December 65 and asking about my status. I dont think the lady had a clue as I did not give my name but gave her my status. I was prime beef, so to speak. She said I would probably be up for call in the next month or so. So I drove directly from the Memorial Building up to the Army recruiting station on West Lexington, on the north side on a left oblique from Chrisman Sawyer bank. Signed on the line. Traded two years of draft service for three years enlistment, chuckle.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Anthonie....what was the purpose back then of taking these nondescript photos? How I wish I had done the same but I couldn't forsee that value in shooting ordinary street scenes (shows how lacking foresight I am) Was this part of your job or a hobby or something else? They come in great 30 years later but I'm just wondering what prompted you to take these photos back in that time?
My Beloved and I have always had a soft spot for history, and she doesn't like change. Therefore when the road-widening projects for these streets were announced we knew we wanted photos to remember the old versions. For each of the major thoroughfares we took photos of each section from each direction, along with the main intersecting streets or portions we suspected would be drastically altered. I do regret that we did miss a couple of streets, which I won't name in order to keep y'all guessing as I post other photos.

Quote:
Just perusing TMB listing in 1960.
You stumped us there! What is TMB? Tom Mix Bomb? Too Many Businesses? We must know!

ETA-Posts posted while typing my post answered the question. Is this info from Polk's?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM

The Memorial Building. Yes from Polk's as listed under the W. Maple section. The alphabetical section might have the same info but I haven't looked there My GPs lived just down W. Maple 3-4 blocks so I went by TMB many times. I think there was a basketball court there with balcony seating too (or was that in the Jr High Building?)

Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
The Memorial Building. Yes from Polk's as listed under the W. Maple section. The alphabetical section might have the same info but I haven't looked there My GPs lived just down W. Maple 3-4 blocks so I went by TMB many times. I think there was a basketball court there with balcony seating too (or was that in the Jr High Building?)
It, the court, was in the Memorial Building as was the Junior High cafeteria.

Next time I get there I will take some photos.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
It, the court, was in the Memorial Building as was the Junior High cafeteria.

Next time I get there I will take some photos.

I remember shooting hoops there on a very cold day (probably over Christmas break) They had the heat turned up, you could 'smell" the heat in the place . . .nice and cozy inside, windy and very cold outside. That might have been the day we foolishly went to Velvet Freeze (or whatever) and ordered our cherry 7-Ups, then took them outside. Stupidity reigned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City