Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 04:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Chuckle. My 33s always seemed to accumulate annoying popping sounds. I cleaned those records like I was supposed to and at one time put them in plastic sleeves, which I think probably was worse because of static electricity. I have heard of people nowadays who will play nothing but vinyl. I dont get that.

I went through the whole gamut of 78s, 45s, 33s, (even had a 16 player combination but dont remember buying anything that was 16rpm), 7 inch tape reels, 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs, etc.

The only thing I did not get into was 10 inch tapes and 4 track tapes.

The 8 tracks were rather bitter sweet. A singer could be in the middle of a really good song and the vocal would fade out while the track changed making a lot of noise in the process then fade in again and continue singing.

I still have an old rack stereo system in the basement that is probably thirty years old and the last system I purchased. It does LPs, cassettes and CDs. Sometime I will ramp up a cassette but the CD player does not work any longer.

Chrysler came out with a 45 player in a car in '56. I thought that was cool (never had one) but it did not last because of all the bumps the car encountered.
My warped sense of humor is kicking in. Imagine this scenario...

A policeman pulls over a speeding car. He asks the driver for his license, and then asks if he has a record. The driver says, "yes sir, I have a whole stack of them on the turntable. One of them is playing now."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM

320 posts, read 310,047 times
M6S85Z24D

Just another view of my area in 1887. Note that Glendale is NOT Selsa yet. Does anyone know where the actual site for the depot would be at today? I used to think it was near the Selsa Road/ 39th Street intersection. But now think it was maybe further NNW? And while Not important, which side of the track. Did the stations all along a track sit on the same side at every stop? Lots of questions for pondering. We'll I now see the image didn't take. I was looking at an 1887 topo map.

Last edited by Major Tom 58; 03-20-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 05:27 PM

A new mystery!

While digging in the attic for some seasonal items we came across an old map of metro KC. It is not in very good condition, and has previously been covered with clear vinyl. It is not dated, but there are some clues as to its era. Below you'll see the Independence portion.

A few clues:

-It shows 71 Bypass following the 24 Highway, Noland Road, 40 Highway route.
-It has Staples Road rather than Salisbury.
-The Independence City Limits are roughly Leslie on the east, and Forest on the west.
-The proposed channel for the re-routed Missouri River at Jackass Bend is shown.
- North River Road is still open NE of Kentucky Road, through the area with the sinkholes.
- The local RR lines are Missouri Pacific and the Alton RR.
- M-78 east of Leslie (the city limit at that time) is also called R.D. Mize.

From these clues can anyone guess the year of publication?

Old 03-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
M6S85Z24D

Just another view of my area in 1887. Note that Glendale is NOT Selsa yet. Does anyone know where the actual site for the depot would be at today? I used to think it was near the Selsa Road/ 39th Street intersection. But now think it was maybe further NNW? And while Not important, which side of the track. Did the stations all along a track sit on the same side at every stop? Lots of questions for pondering.
Your photo did not appear!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:48 PM

I see that; or rather I don't see it either. I've gone back and edited my posting to explain I had tried to upload an 1887 Topo map Independence, and had zoomed in on eastern Independence. I'll try to post the web address for anyone interested.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 PM

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/...dence-1887.jpg
This is where I looked at the invisible topo map

Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
A new mystery!

While digging in the attic for some seasonal items we came across an old map of metro KC. It is not in very good condition, and has previously been covered with clear vinyl. It is not dated, but there are some clues as to its era. Below you'll see the Independence portion.

A few clues:

-The Independence City Limits are roughly Leslie on the east, and Forest on the west.
-The proposed channel for the re-routed Missouri River at Jackass Bend is shown.
- North River Road is still open NE of Kentucky Road, through the area with the sinkholes.

How about, oh, say, um, 1921????

Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
How about, oh, say, um, 1921????
Based on the clues given I can say "Nope, too early!"

Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
A new mystery!

A few clues:

It would have to be pre-48 when the city limits went east to around Woodbury, but exactly when? I thought I saw the Lexington branch on there and the new channel for the Missouri may have been delayed by the war so I will guess 1930-48.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
M6S85Z24D

Just another view of my area in 1887. Note that Glendale is NOT Selsa yet. Does anyone know where the actual site for the depot would be at today? I used to think it was near the Selsa Road/ 39th Street intersection. But now think it was maybe further NNW? And while Not important, which side of the track. Did the stations all along a track sit on the same side at every stop? Lots of questions for pondering. We'll I now see the image didn't take. I was looking at an 1887 topo map.

Here is a photo posted previously. The station is to the west of the tracks. I would think a station's position would be dictated more by the topography rather than policy. At the time, it was perhaps, a quarter mile to half mile north of 39th. I watched the Jesse James robbery reenactment when the last Gulf, Mobile and Ohio (Chicago and Alton) passenger train came through toward the end of 1961. Not long after that the station burned, most probably set my vandals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City