Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 01:25 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Correct again!

A better answer:

pearjas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:26 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
A better answer:

pearjas
Indeed!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:54 PM

320 posts, read 310,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
A better answer:

pearjas
I've been wondering if it is now pearwas...

Old 06-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Whereas y'all like to wax nostalgic;
Whereas this is connected to Old Independence (though I didn't actually see Indep);
Whereas we have had on our pages in the past photos of these upon the Square;
Therefore I now present for your viewing pleasure...

[SIZE=3]
Part 1 Kansas City Streetcars - YouTube
[/SIZE]

Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 PM

320 posts, read 310,047 times
Quote:
Whereas y'all like to wax nostalgic;
Whereas this is connected to Old Independence (though I didn't actually see Indep);
Whereas we have had on our pages in the past photos of these upon the Square;
Therefore I now present for your viewing pleasure...

[SIZE=3]
Part 1 Kansas City Streetcars - YouTube
[/SIZE]

I guess if it's on film, it's on YouTube.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:00 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
I noticed the old yellow on black KC street signs, but also noticed some black on white street signs. I suspect those must have been KCK.

By the time I went to Swope Park the miniature train was a MOPac diesel instead of the miniature steamer shown. But, I never did get to ride it.

I also mentioned way back when that the tops of the street car rails could be seen peeking through the asphalt on Liberty in front of the Jones Store.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I noticed the old yellow on black KC street signs, but also noticed some black on white street signs. I suspect those must have been KCK.

By the time I went to Swope Park the miniature train was a MOPac diesel instead of the miniature steamer shown. But, I never did get to ride it.

I also mentioned way back when that the tops of the street car rails could be seen peeking through the asphalt on Liberty in front of the Jones Store.
If you'd like a souvenir of the old Swope Park Zoo Railroad stop in at the 1879 C&A Depot. They have spikes pulled from that RR for sale, along with a photo of the old locomotive.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
If you'd like a souvenir of the old Swope Park Zoo Railroad stop in at the 1879 C&A Depot. They have spikes pulled from that RR for sale, along with a photo of the old locomotive.

I have been in the 1879 depot but guess I did not notice those spikes being for sale.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
In reading the article “On the Right Side of the Tracks: The Wyandotte, Kansas City & Northwestern Railroad Then and Now,” the author says there was a Masso Spur going northwest just west of Turner Road in what would have been in the settlement of East Independence.

This spur serviced two quarries at the settlement of Pixley west of East Independence. The spur paralleled Massman Road, which is no longer there.

He says the Lexington Branch from Masso Spur was severed all the way to Lake City Junction in 1935 but the right of way continued to be used for telegraph lines through the sixties.

He mentions the Masso Spur as still being there (2007) but from Doc’s map the Lexington Branch line (or Pixley Spur nowadays) going east seems to have been reconfigured to go north just west of Vista Road to meet a shortened Masso Spur and then circles back somewhat.

I thought the Independence Power and Light at Truman and M-78 was built in the fifties to use natural gas to power the electrical generators. Then sometime in the 70s or 80s the plant was converted to coal. I thought coal was brought in to the plant on the Lexington Branch from Lake City junction. Now, the power plant is again converting back to gas or has converted back already.
There is a slight name difference between that shown in the Jackson County Historical Society Journal article and the name on the pass.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
There is a slight name difference between that shown in the Jackson County Historical Society Journal article and the name on the pass.
In the 1877 Historical Atlas of Jackson County it is labeled as W. KC & NW RR. Perhaps it was a dual-identity RR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City