Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,141 times

Advertisements

At a luncheon a few weeks ago, I met a woman who also lived in Independence long ago. Her daughter (I think it she said) was going to buy her a computer and teach her how to use it. I promised to put her in touch with you when she is ready. Keep fingers crossed. She may have some stories also.

Good luck to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 05:18 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
You are correct Sally. The building pictured is the second one the Independence Sanitarium and Hospital occupied. The first one was immediately east of the one pictured. It was a nursing school after the second building opened. Sometime after the third building for the hospital was built (around 1974) the nursing school was demolished and replaced with a parking lot and helicopter pad as part of the newest ER entrance.

In this first view the original building is just visible on the left.

http://www.bobbundy.com/Auctions28/5...dependence.jpg

A better view is from this postcard. You can see all phases of the hospital. The 1974 addition is the large section on the right. The Board of Education now occupies part of this section, along with a new business incubator. Most of the shorter section that connects the various towers was also built in 1974, except the ER entrance, which was accessed from the lot just to the right of the smokestack.

The Independence Sanitarium and Hospital

The North Tower was the second hospital, it is at left center (the tallest of all sections). The portion of the structure that connected it to the 1974 section was demolished at the same time as the north tower (last year).

The far-left is the Truman-Forest Professional Building, once home to many doctor's offices. It is now vacant.

Finally, the original Sanitarium and Hospital building is the three-story brick building nearly at dead-center in the photo. It has a stairway on the outside.

For other old photos from the area go to this site. Put "Independence" in the search box, sit back, and enjoy clicking and scrolling.

Missouri Valley Special Collections : Home

I do regret that it may be January before I have time to dig out my old photos. Christmas activities will keep me hopping.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM

152 posts, read 767,163 times
Do appreciate all your input, Anthonie. Will anticipate January's photo's ! Have a wonderful Christmas Season--and remember--Jesus is the Reason for the Season !! Don't do to much 'hopping' or you will turn into a Mad Froggie !

Hazel, so glad to hear from you ! Can't wait for participation from your friend . . . Thanks very much for telling her about my thread. Have a great holiday season. Hope your children/grandchildren don't get Rocks in their Christmas Socks !!

Old 12-24-2011, 09:02 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
Merry Christmas to all fans of old Independence!

P.S. I promise to post some photos next month!

Old 12-25-2011, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,751 times
I recall the overhead system to be a cord running back and forth from various locations in the store to the processing point. Today it reminds me of a ski lift. The money and ticket would be "clipped" onto the cord which whisk it away.

I also recall the box in the shoe department where we'd stick our feet in and be x-rayed. I remember being too short to look into the eye piece to see the xray.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Canapier, what else do you remember? So glad to have a 'new face.' Yes, those money carriers on high in the dept. stores were fascinating. And they made a certain traveling sound, remember? Wish I knew what they were called. My Mom used to talk about Will Call. It's called Lay-Away now--in the few places left that still have it. Milgrams Grocery was right on the South Eastern corner of the Ssquare, do you recall that? I'd shop there with my Grandpa when I was small. And I thought they had a huge supply of different breadfast cereals then!! Ye gods. Nothing compared to now.

Certainly those big boxes where children's feet could be viewed like an ex-ray were convenient and lots of fun for kiddies, but guess the powers that be decided the rays were ultimately bad for our bodies and discontinued them. Just like the old green glass coke bottles, these items are sure fun to recall. I still get excited when I see a 20s-30s floor model radio in an old movie or an antique store. I spent many an hour on the floor beside ours, imagining the antics of Henry Aldrich and Fanny Brice, etc. They were all tiny little people inside the big radio, of course! Tell your neighbors and friends about this thread on Old Indep. I'd dearly love to read some fresh memories!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
Do appreciate all your input, Anthonie. Will anticipate January's photo's ! Have a wonderful Christmas Season--and remember--Jesus is the Reason for the Season !! Don't do to much 'hopping' or you will turn into a Mad Froggie !

Hazel, so glad to hear from you ! Can't wait for participation from your friend . . . Thanks very much for telling her about my thread. Have a great holiday season. Hope your children/grandchildren don't get Rocks in their Christmas Socks !!
I hope she got her computer for Christmas as they promised. I cannot promise when I'll see her again. We are a group that meets for lunch some two or three times a year and I don't decide when.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Here I am! I feel all alone. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER OR KNOW WHERE 'THE POINT' IS? When I was young, The Point was THE place to go for dating couples to "neck." It was near the river, I believe, and in a rocky area with a high spot reached by steps where a picnic table stood next to a huge old tree. I have never been able to find it on my trips back, since I wasn't a driver back in the day and really didn't know much about areas outside of town. I'm sure my old boyfriends would remember, but they're either dead and gone or their wives would rather I didn't call !! Would love directions so I can find out if "his" and my initials are still carved on that treetrunk !

Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
Here I am! I feel all alone. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER OR KNOW WHERE 'THE POINT' IS? When I was young, The Point was THE place to go for dating couples to "neck." It was near the river, I believe, and in a rocky area with a high spot reached by steps where a picnic table stood next to a huge old tree. I have never been able to find it on my trips back, since I wasn't a driver back in the day and really didn't know much about areas outside of town. I'm sure my old boyfriends would remember, but they're either dead and gone or their wives would rather I didn't call !! Would love directions so I can find out if "his" and my initials are still carved on that treetrunk !

If you mean in Independence - I'm sure you do - I cannot help. I know where the Point was in Kansas City - down on Quality Hill.

Sorry.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 AM

Sally, did you get my note about the woman and the new computer? I do not see it here which may mean I messed up in posting. Hazel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City