Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Besides Cooper's Hobbies, there are several other businesses out that way as we've noted before:

I recall a home business (much like the Coopers had), a printing business further east called Monte Parker Printer. That was @ 1106.
Last time I was in Independence, the sign was still up on the home at Monte Parker Printer, but I was not convinced there was still a printing operation there. But I just did a search and apparently it is still going strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Default Galen Boyer Pontiac

Do you think that the 907 W Lexington address was the used car lot? And the Maple Street address the new car lot?

I cannot for the life of me remember GB near the Granada. I was several times in the service area and recall the big garage space that fronted onto Lexington. I am almost certain there was a showroom there too. My impression was that it was the entire company at that location.

However, and I'll have to find it again, the W. Maple location had more than one entry. One might have been for service or for used cars, the other the showroom/offices.

But then again, I can't remember Sally's Bostian either!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Last time I was in Independence, the sign was still up on the home at Monte Parker Printer, but I was not convinced there was still a printing operation there. But I just did a search and apparently it is still going strong.
There's been at least two owners since the original "Monte Parker" it appears. Bruce "Bob" Robert Harvey is mentioned as buying the business in 1971. Then Robert "Moe" Hunter acquired it and retired in 2002. So there must be another buyer or two since. Must be a nice little printing business to have lasted all that time in that location (presuming it's always been at 1106 W. Lex . . . I seem to recall it in a different house, but then again I was wrong about Mrs Cooper's Hobbies too!)

Streetview shows it to be on the NW corner @ Walnut, a little 2-story gray building with green trim and awning "Monte Parker Printing" (vs. "Printer")

Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
There's been at least two owners since the original "Monte Parker" it appears. Bruce "Bob" Robert Harvey is mentioned as buying the business in 1971. Then Robert "Moe" Hunter acquired it and retired in 2002. So there must be another buyer or two since. Must be a nice little printing business to have lasted all that time in that location (presuming it's always been at 1106 W. Lex . . . I seem to recall it in a different house, but then again I was wrong about Mrs Cooper's Hobbies too!)

Streetview shows it to be on the NW corner @ Walnut, a little 2-story gray building with green trim and awning "Monte Parker Printing" (vs. "Printer")
It is difficult to imagine a small printer still being in business in this day and time.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:44 PM

It is difficult to imagine a small printer still being in business in this day and time.

That is true, so I imagine it's a testament to the work of skilled craftsmen. Often those solos/small enterprises do very high quality work. It wouldn't surprise me if alot of the orders came from "across the street"

Old 08-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Default Another Newspaper

Speaking of the Pictorial Shopper there was another newspaper publication that I heard a lot about when I was a kid but I don't believe I ever saw an issue.

I don't even know where it was published but it was probably in Fairmount.

That publication was the
InterCity News.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 PM

Default Independence Daily News

I have mentioned the Independence Daily News a couple of times on this thread.

I was around ten years old when my younger sister and I had our pictures on the front page of this newspaper when we participated in a Rotary Club Fishing Derby at the Triple Lakes on the then US 71 Bypass (now M-291). We were fishing with cane poles on the lake bank and I had on a cowboy hat and my sister had on a Chinese coolie hat. We never caught anything and I don't think we even had a bite.

The Daily News published from January 1, 1950 through April 17, 1963, according to one web site. Another says it started publishing in 1900 and went belly up in 1963. Craig Siegfried was the publisher. I recall that name as a civic leader in Independence but other than that cannot place him.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I have mentioned the Independence Daily News a couple of times on this thread.

I was around ten years old when my younger sister and I had our pictures on the front page of this newspaper when we participated in a Rotary Club Fishing Derby at the Triple Lakes on the then US 71 Bypass (now M-291). We were fishing with cane poles on the lake bank and I had on a cowboy hat and my sister had on a Chinese coolie hat. We never caught anything and I don't think we even had a bite.

The Daily News published from January 1, 1950 through April 17, 1963, according to one web site. Another says it started publishing in 1900 and went belly up in 1963. Craig Siegfried was the publisher. I recall that name as a civic leader in Independence but other than that cannot place him.
According to Billboard magazine of August 2, 1947, radio station KIMO began operation on August 1, 1947 at Independence. It was to be a 1,000 watt broadcaster, daytime only operation. One of the owners was listed as Craig Siegfried, an Independence attorney and real estate broker.

I had a cheapie crystal radio that I purchased for 98 cents or $1.98, I cannot recall which, and it had only one earphone. My aerial was a copper wire that I ran from my bedroom to a tree in the back yard. The only station I could get was KIMO, but it came in loud and clear. The format was country and western. The station location was in the 300 block of north Osage.

KIMO was the second radio station to broadcast in Independence. The first was KLDS which went out of business sometime in the early 40s.

The below was taken from a legal brief on the web. Craig Siegfried sued the Kansas City Star for damages. I don’t know what the outcome was or how much was involved.

“The period for which damages are asked runs from January 7, 1950, to December 12, 1957. Plaintiff during all of such period owned and operated a publishing business which published and distributed the Pictorial Shopper, primarily a throw-away advertising circular, and The Independence Daily News, a daily newspaper published Monday through Friday and on Sunday. From January 1, 1953, to December 12, 1957, plaintiff was the sole owner of radio station KIMO, located in Independence, Missouri. From 1947 to 1953 he owned said station jointly with three associates.”

Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 AM

239 posts, read 257,416 times
This has already been mentioned, but now there is just one pharmacy around the square area that I know of - 50 Plus Pharmacy, which is located at 211 West Lexington. It's actually a good place to get your prescriptions. I don't know why they specialize in "50+" individuals, but I know you don't have to be 50+ to be a customer/get your prescriptions there, etc. It appears The 50 Plus Pharmacy is not in the location that any of the previous pharmacy locations were. Funny how things shift around..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independence did seem rather "old" compare to the suburbs so I guess one could expect alot of pharmacies. Several were clustered in the same areas, The Square, and out on Winner Rd.

Bogart & Brown was at 131 W. Lexington & 10819 Winner

Bob Bunyar Drug Co. @ 121 W. Lexington & 10901 Winner

I guess the "BB" pharmacies were chasing each other!

Add Petey Childers at 10900 Winner.
Denton Drug @ 128 W. Maple
Katz @ 201 N. Main

Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 AM

239 posts, read 257,416 times
Sally,
I'm definitely going to look into this!! Do you know about where it might have been on Lexington? I'm assuming it was West Lexington. Definitely going to look into it though!! Thanks for the information.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pearjas -- I can tell you who has a warehouse full of old pix of Indep !!When I was there in 04 there was a big"store" on Lexington run by a Mr. Plowman who had boxes and shelves and tables and files and more boxes full o old photos ! I can't recall his first name but he was brother to Gene Plowman who was in my graduating class. We browsed and talked and he said he was going to go out of business soon. He had a pic I wanted but couldnt afford it then so got his address and said I*d write or call later.

Don't know where he is now or if he still has the collection or not or if he is still living. Wish I couldd give u more info. Don't know where that address is now. Probably in storage in California! I still want tht color photo of the south wall of the old Indep. Laundry with all the beautiful and colorful scrolly writing on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City