Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
It looks like a service station across the street (gas pump). Winstead's didn't look to be around during the time frame MAD gives to the photos, but would have been on the opposite of where the billboard stood I believe when it did open for business.
I thought he was asking what ad was on the billboard flip side, chuckle. There was Winsteads, a filling station, and then the Tru-Bla-Ind so called museum. You might be right, though, about when Winsteads came in but I think Winsteads is what MAD was driving at.

I noticed that Safeway only offered one hour free parking. A lot of people would need more than that to do their shopping but maybe not back then.

I also think the Safeway building was in the running as a leased city hall before the city selected the building in the next block down past the tracks as the city hall. Even though the selected building was a new building at the time, it was a poor man's city hall to be sure.
City Hall was down there until the city took over the vacated Bundschu Department Store on the square. Then they built the new City Hall at the end of Maple Street--that building is by now far too small I am sure.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 12-29-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I thought he was asking what ad was on the billboard flip side, chuckle. There was Winsteads, a filling station, and then the Tru-Bla-Ind so called museum. You might be right, though, about when Winsteads came in but I think Winsteads is what MAD was driving at.

I noticed that Safeway only offered one hour free parking. A lot of people would need more than that to do their shopping but maybe not back then.

I also think the Safeway building was in the running as a leased city hall before the city selected the building in the next block down past the tracks as the city hall. Even though the selected building was a new building at the time, it was a poor man's city hall to be sure.
City Hall was down there until the city took over the vacated Bundschu Department Store on the square. Then they built the new City Hall at the end of Maple Street--that building is by now far too small I am sure.

Isn't Faith Bible College where Safeway used to be? (Hope everyone had a good Christmas!)

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Isn't Faith Bible College where Safeway used to be? (Hope everyone had a good Christmas!)
That it is: About Faith bible College

Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Someone did a redo on the City Hall built in 1911 at Kansas and Main. It might be lawyer offices now. Or, the county may have something in it. I just noticed via Google Earth they closed up the old police entrance--perhaps some time ago because the shrubs and trees are blocking the old entrance.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Someone did a redo on the City Hall built in 1911 at Kansas and Main. It might be lawyer offices now. Or, the county may have something in it. I just noticed via Google Earth they closed up the old police entrance--perhaps some time ago because the shrubs and trees are blocking the old entrance.
Attorneys are in the old Police Annex building (where I worked in my youth) at Liberty & Kansas. I do believe the county ended up with the old city hall. If you use Google Streetview, and go just west on Kansas from Main, you'll encounter the historic tour covered wagon in front of the log courthouse.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Attorneys are in the old Police Annex building (where I worked in my youth) at Liberty & Kansas. I do believe the county ended up with the old city hall. If you use Google Streetview, and go just west on Kansas from Main, you'll encounter the historic tour covered wagon in front of the log courthouse.
I got a photo of the covered wagon in front of the log courthouse last year on a trip. Seems to me the mules wore hard rubber shoes but I could be wrong. I am glad the town has something like that for tourists but on my last trip I noticed the per person ride prices posted over at the old firehouse, and those tours are not cheap--but neither is corn and hay, I suppose. My first thought was "I wonder where those mules live."

Last edited by WCHS'59; 12-30-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I got a photo of the covered wagon in front of the log courthouse last year on a trip. Seems to me the mules wore hard rubber shoes but I could be wrong. I am glad the town has something like that for tourists but on my last trip I noticed the per person ride prices posted over at the old firehouse, and those tours are not cheap--but neither is corn and hay, I suppose. My first thought was "I wonder where those mules live."

I'm not sure where the mules "live", but I have seen them at the northeast corner of Pleasant and Pacific. They seem to have a staging area from which the wagons start their tours. they have a large horse trailer there and I've seen whom I assume was one of the drivers, hitching up the mules for their next trip.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I'm not sure where the mules "live", but I have seen them at the northeast corner of Pleasant and Pacific. They seem to have a staging area from which the wagons start their tours. they have a large horse trailer there and I've seen whom I assume was one of the drivers, hitching up the mules for their next trip.
If this were a few years ago, I would guess they lived at Benjamin Stables, but I dont think that place exists anymore.

I Google Earthed on that corner and the building and the trailer have signs that say Pioneer Trails. I would guess the wagons are inside. They say they can handle up to 64 people and have three wagons and six mules. I suppose for the trips around Independence it must be one day on two days off for the mules.

Still did not see where they live, though.

They have a web site: Pioneer Trails Covered Wagon Adventures

Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
If this were a few years ago, I would guess they lived at Benjamin Stables, but I dont think that place exists anymore.

I Google Earthed on that corner and the building and the trailer have signs that say Pioneer Trails. I would guess the wagons are inside. They say they can handle up to 64 people and have three wagons and six mules. I suppose for the trips around Independence it must be one day on two days off for the mules.

Still did not see where they live, though.

They have a web site: Pioneer Trails Covered Wagon Adventures
Benjamin Stables is apparently just Benjamin Ranch (Benjamin Ranch) that's operated by the Faulkner family. (About Us - Faulkner's Ranch) The mules could be at the Misty River Equestrian Center on Eureka Road just off of R.D. Mize, which would be a lot closer to the square.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
My feeble memory recalls an Examiner article about the mules when the service first started. I'm thinking they live on a private farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City