Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times

Advertisements

We might have covered this once before but,

In the fifties there were four banks in Independence and no branches. I think at the time banks were not allowed to have a branch under the banking laws in effect then. The best they could do was to have a co-located drive in but I don't think this happened until the sixties.

First National Bank, Bank of Independence, and Chrisman-Sawyer Bank were all located on the square. Standard State Bank was on Independence Avenue in Fairmount.

First National became Bank of America and might have been something else in between. Chrisman-Sawyer was absorbed by another bank, which went belly up.

Bank of Independence was the only home town bank that moved off the square. They moved to Truman and Liberty and then became Boatman's Bank and then something else, but that building is now a Jackson County office of some type.

I dont know what happened to Standard State Bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
We might have covered this once before but,

In the fifties there were four banks in Independence and no branches. I think at the time banks were not allowed to have a branch under the banking laws in effect then. The best they could do was to have a co-located drive in but I don't think this happened until the sixties.

First National Bank, Bank of Independence, and Chrisman-Sawyer Bank were all located on the square. Standard State Bank was on Independence Avenue in Fairmount.

First National became Bank of America and might have been something else in between. Chrisman-Sawyer was absorbed by another bank, which went belly up.

Bank of Independence was the only home town bank that moved off the square. They moved to Truman and Liberty and then became Boatman's Bank and then something else, but that building is now a Jackson County office of some type.

I dont know what happened to Standard State Bank.
Looks like it was absorbed by a Bank IV Missouri . . which I've never heard of. Around 1991 from what I can tell.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
When I started working during high school in the fifties, I had a savings account at the First National Bank of Independence, now Bank of America.

I learned I could get more interest by depositing with Blue Valley Federal Savings and Loan at 310 West Lexington. So I went to Blue Valley. At the time the rate was 4% at Blue Valley, which might have been one percent or so above First National. I stayed with them for several years. They had a rather new office with an all glass front trimmed in brick with a glass entry door, all carpeted within, light and airy, and was a nice place to do business. I tried to get a loan from them to buy a car but they turned me down because the law back then restricted them to real estate loans.

Last year I drove by there expecting to see my old place of banking, but the building is boarded up and looking really seedy. Apparently, the home office in Kansas City went out in 1990 or so.
Here ya go:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-blue-valley-savings-lexington-just-west  

Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
More IMR RR fun:

Using Google Earth, zoom in on Dave's Bakery and Deli on the first block of the north side of West Maple Street.

You can make out the outline of a granite historical marker mounted on the very narrow brick wall facing west at the east end of the windows which has the "DAVE'S" lettering.

To read it though, you will have to make a personal trip. The marker has been there since 1948 and commemorates the site of the terminus of the Independence and Missouri River railroad.

One might also note that on the map the city limits of Independence once went up to the Missouri River taking in Wayne City Landing.

Sorry, I know that I've jumped back a ways, but I thought everyone might want to see this:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-air-line-plaque.jpg  

Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 PM

[quote=SilverDoc;27450707]Here ya go:
[/quote
Thanks, I forgot that the Savings and Loans back then did not pay "interest," they paid "dividends," chuckle.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Sorry, I know that I've jumped back a ways, but I thought everyone might want to see this:
There were no engines running on that railroad. The cars were horse drawn. Somewhere I read that the track rails were not rails as we know them but straps of flat bar iron laid on ties.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Here ya go:

That drive way to the east of the Blue Valley Savings and Loan led to a small parking lot in the rear of the building.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Additonally, Independence had at least 3 Savings & Loans, plus a branch of another S&L:

ISL @ 220 W. White oak (corner Osage)
Blue Valley FSLA @ 310 W. Lexington
Metropolitan SLA 10124 Truman Rd
Also: While First Federal S&LA was Downtown KCMO, it did have a BRANCH @ 4217 Blue Ridge Blvd. So at least branches appeared available for S&L Associations.

State Banks listed were BOI and CSB

Those banks with trust depts:
BOI
CSB
FNS @ 129 W. Lexington
Standard State Bank @ 10110 W US 24

Under "Loans- other" was Household Finance Cor @ 204 1/2 N. Liberty
And real estate loans could also be had from EC Harrington and Sons, which owned the Harrington Bldg @ 323 W. Lexington

Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Additonally, Independence had at least 3 Savings & Loans, plus a branch of another S&L:

ISL @ 220 W. White oak (corner Osage)
Blue Valley FSLA @ 310 W. Lexington
Metropolitan SLA 10124 Truman Rd
Also: While First Federal S&LA was Downtown KCMO, it did have a BRANCH @ 4217 Blue Ridge Blvd. So at least branches appeared available for S&L Associations.

State Banks listed were BOI and CSB

Those banks with trust depts:
BOI
CSB
FNS @ 129 W. Lexington
Standard State Bank @ 10110 W US 24

Under "Loans- other" was Household Finance Cor @ 204 1/2 N. Liberty
And real estate loans could also be had from EC Harrington and Sons, which owned the Harrington Bldg @ 323 W. Lexington
I recall ISL, Independence Savings and Loan, they had a really nice office. There is a Hawthorne Bank there now. I don't recognize the layout so there must have been some remodeling.

I noticed the parking lot for Blue Valley Federal has an access from Maple now. Back when the only way in and out of their parking lot was off Lexington next to their building. It did not hold a lot cars.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:28 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:

I learned I could get more interest by depositing with Blue Valley Federal Savings and Loan at 310 West Lexington. So I went to Blue Valley. At the time the rate was 4% at Blue Valley, which might have been one percent or so above First National. I stayed with them for several years. They had a rather new office with an all glass front trimmed in brick with a glass entry door, all carpeted within, light and airy, and was a nice place to do business. I tried to get a loan from them to buy a car but they turned me down because the law back then restricted them to real estate loans.

Last year I drove by there expecting to see my old place of banking, but the building is boarded up and looking really seedy. Apparently, the home office in Kansas City went out in 1990 or so.
Blue Valley built a new building at the NW corner of Truman & Osage. I think it is now Commerce Bank. After BV moved both a title company and a travel agency occupied the Lexington building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City