Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Additonally, Independence had at least 3 Savings & Loans, plus a branch of another S&L:

ISL @ 220 W. White oak (corner Osage)
Blue Valley FSLA @ 310 W. Lexington
Metropolitan SLA 10124 Truman Rd
Also: While First Federal S&LA was Downtown KCMO, it did have a BRANCH @ 4217 Blue Ridge Blvd. So at least branches appeared available for S&L Associations.

State Banks listed were BOI and CSB

Those banks with trust depts:
BOI
CSB
FNS @ 129 W. Lexington
Standard State Bank @ 10110 W US 24

Under "Loans- other" was Household Finance Cor @ 204 1/2 N. Liberty
And real estate loans could also be had from EC Harrington and Sons, which owned the Harrington Bldg @ 323 W. Lexington
Household Finance Corporation (HFC) was big as far as advertising on the local channels in KC. Their interest rates were sky high compared to a loan with your local friendly bank.

Blue Valley was a branch. I know S&Ls were different from banks at least according to law. I think that law provided for them to pay "dividends" rather than "interest." That same law prevented them from making auto loans or personal loans and they could not have checking accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 11:11 AM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Sorry, I know that I've jumped back a ways, but I thought everyone might want to see this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
There were no engines running on that railroad. The cars were horse drawn. Somewhere I read that the track rails were not rails as we know them but straps of flat bar iron laid on ties.

The first railroad into Independence was mule drawn between Wayne City Landing on the Missouri river and the Independence Square. It's purpose was haul goods up from the river into town. It only lasted a short time. The second railroad was the Kansas City Southern Railroad, commonly called the Airline. It was major means of transportation from Kansas City to Independence, both passengers and freight. It also served Stndard Oil Refinery in Sugar Creek. The railroad station was on the northeast corner of Maple and Osage. When automobile travel became common the Airline ceased passenger service but kept freight service. It was a major source of transportation for oil tankers from Standard Oil. It served lumberyards and other businesses on W. Truman Road (Blue Ave.) At the end of tracks was McConnell Grain and Coal on the southeast corner of Osage and and White Oak, now the location of the Chamber of Commerce. Coal and grain became less important when Independence became more of an urban center and less of a farm to market town. There was no longer a real need for a freight line to serve one declining business.

Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-portion-august-1916-sanborn-map-showing  

Old 12-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
The first railroad into Independence was mule drawn between Wayne City Landing on the Missouri river and the Independence Square. It's purpose was haul goods up from the river into town. It only lasted a short time. The second railroad was the Kansas City Southern Railroad, commonly called the Airline. It was major means of transportation from Kansas City to Independence, both passengers and freight. It also served Stndard Oil Refinery in Sugar Creek. The railroad station was on the northeast corner of Maple and Osage. When automobile travel became common the Airline ceased passenger service but kept freight service. It was a major source of transportation for oil tankers from Standard Oil. It served lumberyards and other businesses on W. Truman Road (Blue Ave.) At the end of tracks was McConnell Grain and Coal on the southeast corner of Osage and and White Oak, now the location of the Chamber of Commerce. Coal and grain became less important when Independence became more of an urban center and less of a farm to market town. There was no longer a real need for a freight line to serve one declining business.

On the plat map, did anyone notice the ice cream plant next door to the dry cleaners?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
On the plat map, did anyone notice the ice cream plant next door to the dry cleaners?
HMMMM, veddy interesting! I suppose that if in the winter the ice cream plant had to use snow and ran across dirty or yellow snow, they could take it next door and have it cleaned without it melting! I know I know, boo hiss!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:18 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
I guess you guys need something a bit tougher on this cold blustery day:
Me thinks it is time for another clue.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I guess you guys need something a bit tougher on this cold blustery day:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Me thinks it is time for another clue.

Me thinks you thinks right! Think west of the old Blue Ridge Mall.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Silver Doc, what was the date on the map with the depot shown at Maple and Osage?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:15 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Me thinks you thinks right! Think west of the old Blue Ridge Mall.
That did it! As soon as My Beloved heard that she remembered it as being on the corner of 40 Highway & Hardy, the old 4-Pines nursing home.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Silver Doc, what was the date on the map with the depot shown at Maple and Osage?

It was a 1916 Sanborn map.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
That did it! As soon as My Beloved heard that she remembered it as being on the corner of 40 Highway & Hardy, the old 4-Pines nursing home.

Had ya goin' for a while though, huh? Your turn!

I'm leaving town in the morning so someone else can have a chance. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas! Yes, I'm being politically incorrect, (well, at least according to some people, anyway!) BUT...I don't forget the true meaning of the holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City