Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 09:15 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I have not seen any information to that affect.

However, a couple web sites say communists bombed his business in Independence.

In an he interview, he said he did not know who it was that did the bombing.

I dont have any information as to the exact location of his business.

Minuteman
Robert (Simon) Bolivar DePugh

Eventually captured near Truth or Consequences, NM . . . that news was the first I'd ever heard of the place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Minuteman
Robert (Simon) Bolivar DePugh

Eventually captured near Truth or Consequences, NM . . . that news was the first I'd ever heard of the place
That place was once called Hot Springs, NM. It was renamed after a Radio and TV hilarious quiz show called Truth or Consequences. I never heard the radio program but I saw the TV program when I was a kid. I cannot remember much about it except that it was quite funny with all kinds of outlandish stunts needed to be pulled off to win.

I thought that the town was named for the TV program but a web site says it was the radio program. The host announced that the program would be broadcast from any town that renamed itself after the quiz program. Hot Springs bit.

Robert Bolivar Depugh is the correct answer. There was a house on the south side of 23rd St at Hocker that was raided by federal authorities with the support of the Independence Police and, I think, Jackson County sheriff deputies.

That house is now gone but in the basement they found quantities of heavy arms and ammunition belonging to the Minutemen. I think Depugh was on the run by that time.

At any rate, after his place was bombed he relocated to Norborne, Mo, and started a biological lab of some type that was very profitable. But he had to go into hiding and was caught in Truth or Consequences quite a while later.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 PM

I just read that about T or C on Wikipedia. I probably had heard of its unique naming before but it didn't ring a bell. I do recall the T or C TV show. Also didn't Ralph Edwards host "This is Your Life" ?

Originally named Hot Springs, the city changed its name to Truth or Consequences, the title of a popular NBC Radio program. In 1950, Ralph Edwards, the host of the radio quiz show Truth or Consequences, announced that he would air the program from the first town that renamed itself after the show; Hot Springs won the honor. Edwards visited the town during the first weekend of May for the next 50 years. This event was called "Fiesta" and included a beauty contest, a parade, and a stage show. The city still celebrates Fiesta each year during the first weekend of May. The parade generally features area celebrities such as the Hatch Chile Queen. Fiesta also features a dance in Ralph Edwards Park.[citation ne

Old 08-02-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
W.C. Brown Grocer
Comingo & Slover, Attorneys
C.S. Crysler, Attorney
Chrisman & Sawyer, Bankers
County Clerk
Chicago & Alton Depot
Cunningham & Company, Grocers
Gates, Wallace, & Sea, Attorneys
Jas. Goodin, residence
C. R. Haller Grocer
W.H. Joseph Saloon
Journal Office
J.C. Lefiwich Saloon
Larkin & Son Livery Stable
McCurdy & Son Agricultural Implements
J.H. Morrison Druggist
McCoy & McAfees Woolen Mill
Missouri Pacific Depot
Nichol Brothers Hardware
Pacific Express
Thomas Rogers, Tinner
Sentinel Office
A.T. Slack Grocer
United States Express
Western Union Telegraph Office
Woodson & Sheeley Express
G.E. Wilson, Grocer
Waggoner & Gates Flour Mill
M.R. Wright Boots & Shoes
M.R. Wright residence

The above list was compiled for a very specific reason. Your task is to identify that reason. The list is complete, except for one word and one entry that would be a give-away.

It did cost a bit to get on the list.

The list was only really useful for those on the list.

The list, now much longer, is still compiled annually. (I have several copies of the modern version.)
Are you going to spill the beans or continue to torture us with this Stumper?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I just read that about T or C on Wikipedia. I probably had heard of its unique naming before but it didn't ring a bell. I do recall the T or C TV show. Also didn't Ralph Edwards host "This is Your Life" ?

Originally named Hot Springs, the city changed its name to Truth or Consequences, the title of a popular NBC Radio program. In 1950, Ralph Edwards, the host of the radio quiz show Truth or Consequences, announced that he would air the program from the first town that renamed itself after the show; Hot Springs won the honor. Edwards visited the town during the first weekend of May for the next 50 years. This event was called "Fiesta" and included a beauty contest, a parade, and a stage show. The city still celebrates Fiesta each year during the first weekend of May. The parade generally features area celebrities such as the Hatch Chile Queen. Fiesta also features a dance in Ralph Edwards Park.[citation ne

Ralph Edwards did do "This is Your Life."

The TV version of Truth or Consequences was hosted by Jack Bailey when I watched it. He was really a cut up, which was a big switch from "Queen For a Day," which he hosted in the daytime. It was a woman's program, but during summer when I had nothing to do I would watch it with my mother.
This was back when there was only one channel (WDAF 4) on the air.

The Truth or Consequences TV program did not take place in the town but I recall one time they did a live remote. The TV program was eventually hosted by Bob Barker but by that time I was working after school and no longer was able watch it.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 08-02-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM

320 posts, read 310,110 times
Quote:
W.C. Brown Grocer
Comingo & Slover, Attorneys
C.S. Crysler, Attorney
Chrisman & Sawyer, Bankers
County Clerk
Chicago & Alton Depot
Cunningham & Company, Grocers
Gates, Wallace, & Sea, Attorneys
Jas. Goodin, residence
C. R. Haller Grocer
W.H. Joseph Saloon
Journal Office
J.C. Lefiwich Saloon
Larkin & Son Livery Stable
McCurdy & Son Agricultural Implements
J.H. Morrison Druggist
McCoy & McAfees Woolen Mill
Missouri Pacific Depot
Nichol Brothers Hardware
Pacific Express
Thomas Rogers, Tinner
Sentinel Office
A.T. Slack Grocer
United States Express
Western Union Telegraph Office
Woodson & Sheeley Express
G.E. Wilson, Grocer
Waggoner & Gates Flour Mill
M.R. Wright Boots & Shoes
M.R. Wright residence

The above list was compiled for a very specific reason. Your task is to identify that reason. The list is complete, except for one word and one entry that would be a give-away.

It did cost a bit to get on the list.

The list was only really useful for those on the list.

The list, now much longer, is still compiled annually. (I have several copies of the modern version.)

Original Better Business Bureau Members.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Are you going to spill the beans or continue to torture us with this Stumper?
The torture seems like more fun for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Original Better Business Bureau Members.
Nope.

Many towns and cities had such lists. The very first was New Haven, Connecticut, which published their list in February of 1878. The list you are working on is from 1880.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
The torture seems like more fun for me!

Nope.

Many towns and cities had such lists. The very first was New Haven, Connecticut, which published their list in February of 1878. The list you are working on is from 1880.

I wonder how many people actually use the phone book today?

Phone company no longer has white pages delivered and only a yellow book that is very small. Toss them when they come.

Maybe the older folks who absolutely refuse to look at a computer need one.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I wonder how many people actually use the phone book today?

Phone company no longer has white pages delivered and only a yellow book that is very small. Toss them when they come.

Maybe the older folks who absolutely refuse to look at a computer need one.
So is "first telephone directory" your Final Answer?

Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
So is "first telephone directory" your Final Answer?
To be accurate, "the first telephone directory for Independence", which came out in 1880. Notice that there were only two residential customers. I slipped the word residence, and the last entry, when you all were distracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City