Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 03:00 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Doutt's Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Doutt's Lake.

No doubt about it! Since it had been a recent topic I thought I should show it.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 PM

320 posts, read 310,452 times
Any aerials of the Truman/291 area where the rodeos were held in the early 60's?

Old 08-14-2014, 06:00 PM

Robert Depugh’s troubles seem to have begun in earnest in 1967.

The Independence Police picked up two young girls, one of them sixteen, late one night. They told the officer they had just escaped from the Minutemen after being held for a week and after being kidnapped at the Brookside Manor apartments. They had been living at the Manor folding Minutemen flyers in exchange for a reduced rent.

Police advised Lawrence Gepford, Jackson County prosecutor, who decided to file charges against Depugh. He sent the Jackson County Grand Jury investigator with the Independence police to look for and arrest Depugh. At 613 East Alton, the group was let in and the facility was searched. Depugh was nowhere to be found but they confiscated a machine gun.

Other strange things were noticed during the visit.

The next night a raid was executed with another warrant for the purpose of searching 613 East Alton for illegal weapons. In the meantime, Depugh had returned to the building and took all the Minutemen records and membership lists. This time the police were refused entry so the door was broken down. They confiscated a bazooka, 200 sticks of dynamite, hand grenades, 45 caliber grease guns, carbines, rocket launchers, land mines, and other explosive stuff.

Depugh was subsequently arrested and posted bail. The Minutemen organization said that Gepford was a man of high political ambitions and the kidnapping charges were not true. The girls had been recruited for seductive spy purposes.

The kidnapping charges were later dropped when it appeared there was no proof of kidnapping but some proof to the seductive spy purposes, which the girls decided they did not want to do.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Any aerials of the Truman/291 area where the rodeos were held in the early 60's?
Sorry, this is the best I could come up with. I hope you see something familiar there...

Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:

One can see the sand beach and the diving platform

Also it looks like three roads into/out of

Was the cleared area to the SE the picnic area? It has its own ingress/egress

Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indepmo View Post
Aah, the Sugar Creek pool
I just heard not so long ago of the closing and razing of the Sugar Creek pool. When I heard that I thought "Why did they do that, it was just built not that long ago."

I think it was leaking seriously enough that it could not be repaired. That plus the age spelled its doom.

When I was a lad, pools were few and far between. Here, there are pools within walking distance everywhere. I take my dog for a walk just to enjoy the pool scenery. Almost all of the pools are HOA pools such as ours. Only 290 families share the pool.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 AM

Today's mind game- Identify this location as viewed in 1957. You must use the 1957 names in order to get credit.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Today's mind game- Identify this location as viewed in 1957. You must use the 1957 names in order to get credit.

THAT is Lee's Summit Rd and 40 Hiway

Old 08-15-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I just heard not so long ago of the closing and razing of the Sugar Creek pool. When I heard that I thought "Why did they do that, it was just built not that long ago."

I think it was leaking seriously enough that it could not be repaired. That plus the age spelled its doom.

When I was a lad, pools were few and far between. Here, there are pools within walking distance everywhere. I take my dog for a walk just to enjoy the pool scenery. Almost all of the pools are HOA pools such as ours. Only 290 families share the pool.
I've mentioned this before and don't recall a reply/comment, and since we have some new blood on board, maybe they will know:

But I recall the SC Pool water was very whitish in color compared to other pools. In fact the photo posted seems to show that. Someone told me there was a lot more chlorine (or other chemicals) in the water. I suspect if that was the case, it had something to do with the proximity of the Standard Refinery and the associated emissions from the plant.

Or maybe Sugar Creekers were just more inclined to pee in the water?

Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City