Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 07:13 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Then it must have been Vauxhall.
If you insist! It was Vauxhall, which I had never heard of until seeing it in the ad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The building at 9701 E Truman Road was used for a different transportation related purpose after the car dealers left. What was it?
Quote:
I hereby declare you stumped! Boats and bicycles were sold here, beginning in 1960. The establishment was Ketchum's Marine and Bicycle Shop. Prior to 1960 the shop was located at 827 W Lexington.
I just made an interesting discovery. In the 1960 directory it shows this to be a very busy and probably crowded building! It was occupied not only by the Ketchum Marine and Bicycle Shop; but also by Olien Peters Notary Public and Eisfelder-Phillips Rambler. I'm guessing the autos had the northern showroom facing Truman Road, with bikes and boats to the south and/or lower level.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:39 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
I just made an interesting discovery. In the 1960 directory it shows this to be a very busy and probably crowded building! It was occupied not only by the Ketchum Marine and Bicycle Shop; but also by Olien Peters Notary Public and Eisfelder-Phillips Rambler. I'm guessing the autos had the northern showroom facing Truman Road, with bikes and boats to the south and/or lower level.

Here is something also interesting.

The Kansas City Times of February 7, 1959, and November 18, 1959, both show Eisfelder-Phillips at 11008 east Truman Road. I don't remember anything about that location.

A Nash dealers web site shows

Hawes Nash opening in 1940 in Independence but no address listed and no end date.

Hodges Nash existing from 1948-50 at 9510 E Truman (across from future Van Horn high school on the north side of Truman)

Eisfelder-Phillips opening in 1956 at 9701 E Truman with no end date.

This list does not mention Clipper-Rodekof on west Lexington or on Winner Road in Englewood.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM

What was the first subcompact car mass produced in the United States?

It was sold in Independence at more than one location.

Tom McCahill was a famous automobile reviewer writing for Mechanix Illustrated. I use to read him every month because he was so funny. About this car he said “It is not a sports car by the weirdest torturing of the imagination but it is a fleet, sporty little bucket which should prove just what the doctor ordered for a second car, to be used either for a trip to the movies or for a fast run to a penicillin festival.”

The car was aimed at women and also marketed to police departments for use by meter maids. I can recall Independence meter maids having small golf cart like vehicles but do not recall any of the ladies driving this small car in question.

It sold at total of 95,000 units over its lifetime.

Item: The car is not a Crossley. I guess that car did not have enough sales to qualify as a first.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Here is something also interesting.

The Kansas City Times of February 7, 1959, and November 18, 1959, both show Eisfelder-Phillips at 11008 east Truman Road. I don't remember anything about that location.

Hawes Nash opening in 1940 in Independence but no address listed and no end date.

Hodges Nash existing from 1948-50 at 9510 E Truman (across from future Van Horn high school on the north side of Truman)

Eisfelder-Phillips opening in 1956 at 9701 E Truman with no end date.

This list does not mention Clipper-Rodekof on west Lexington or on Winner Road in Englewood.
This will help clear some of that up, a complete listing of auto dealers from 1960...

Old 05-06-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:

They didn't make the 1940 directory, 1942 shows them at 150 E Maple.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:

The car was aimed at women and also marketed to police departments for use by meter maids. I can recall Independence meter maids having small golf cart like vehicles but do not recall any of the ladies driving this small car in question.
The meter-maids used to putter about in little three-wheeled Cushmans. I don't think I have a photo of one in my PD collection.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
This will help clear some of that up, a complete listing of auto dealers from 1960...

O&E Motors is on that list. Used Cars.

I bought my first car from them in the summer of 1957. I was about three months shy of my sixteenth birthday but I was working and made enough to make the $37.50 monthly payment.

The car was actually purchased in my dad's name. Of all the cars I have owned, that first car, which was five years old, turned out to be the worst car I have ever purchased. it was always breaking down. And, if it was not breaking down something was wrong with the equipment.

I once drove 400 miles round trip with a hole in the radiator and the radiator cap off. The hole was stopped up with a rag and I had to fill up with water along the way. Eventually got that fixed. The heater would not work, never did fix that. The speedometer quit working and cost $10 for a major repair. Twice it had a broken axle and repaired each time. Other things went wrong.

But, it had turn signals and a radio. For a while, I was the only guy on my side of town to have turn signals.

After I sold it, I was driving by in my new six year old car and noticed my old car with a new paint job sitting on the same O&E lot. I stopped and took a nostalgic look at it with the salesman close at hand. He could not open the hood, so I opened it for him--it was broke also and I never fixed it.

A used car lot is still there in the same location.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM

Here is another doorway to hell in Independence.

Where is it?

Old 05-06-2015, 10:47 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:

Here is another doorway to hell in Independence.

Where is it?

I think we've seen the one before......but if so, I sure don't remember

Was it a salon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City