Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Bundschu perhaps?
Nada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:40 PM

37 posts, read 35,425 times
No, the lake was on the north side of US-50. However, there is a chance that it was not US-50 but some other road to the west of Noland down that way. All I remember is that it was called Sunny Shores (pretty certain of that name) and was, at most, a few miles west of Noland down in the Knobtown area. There was at least one building there and picnic tables, etc. I remember there being a sign (billboard?) at the entrance. As a kid it seemed like it was far away as we lived near Ott elementary and the drive along Noland was pretty rural- especially south of US-40. We tended to go to Doutt's more often since it was much closer. But I recall Sunny Shores as being nicer than Doutt's so sometimes we would make the drive. My parents would also show me some of the remaining evidence from the Ruskin Heights tornado. I think the tornado did a bit of damage at Noland north of US-50 and remember, in particular, a house on the east side of Noland that still showed some evidence- could have been that it lost a 2nd story and was repaired without restoring the 2nd story (??).

Old 06-27-2015, 05:31 AM

37 posts, read 35,425 times
Looking at google maps this morning I am starting to think Sunny Shores was off Banister rather than US-50. I believe Noland sort of came to and end and we turned right which,from the map, makes Banister a more likely candidate. It is rather hard to remember the details after 50 years.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
This fellow has a five-mile long street in Independence named after him.

One of his claims to fame (?) is that he ordered a huge number of expensive ten-cent cigars after a salesman gave him a great and perhaps extraordinary sales pitch.

Our subject must have thought the sales pitch was over hyped or comical and believing the order could not be processed bluffed an order for 10,000 of the miracle smokes.

A few days later, 10,000 showed up in a shipment.

He could not hope to sell them at retail so he advertised them at 5 cents a pop, incurring a substantial loss.

Who is this guy?

"Bob" was born in Liberty during the Civil War.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
"Bob" was born in Liberty during the Civil War.
His father laid out the town of New Independence on the bank of the Missouri River.

He (our subject) gave a very well known Independence resident his first political appointment.

At the time of the cigar incident, he owned a drug store, but he also owned a meat market and grocery store at the same time. He was also at one time in the hardware business.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
His father laid out the town of New Independence on the bank of the Missouri River.

He (our subject) gave a very well known Independence resident his first political appointment.

At the time of the cigar incident, he owned a drug store, but he also owned a meat market and grocery store at the same time. He was also at one time in the hardware business.
If someone in Independence were to see him walking down the street, they just might say "He come de Judge."

Old 06-27-2015, 11:44 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWC75 View Post
I also recall a swimming lake east of the Bundschu at US-24 intersection. Does anyone recall? If you have already discussed these let me know - I will get to them eventually as I keep reading the old posts.

Thanks, Chuck WCHS 1975

This is probably the one you remember. It was drained about 10 years ago and replaced with houses.
Photo taken June 29, 1963.

[/url]

Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWC75 View Post
No, the lake was on the north side of US-50. However, there is a chance that it was not US-50 but some other road to the west of Noland down that way. All I remember is that it was called Sunny Shores (pretty certain of that name) and was, at most, a few miles west of Noland down in the Knobtown area. There was at least one building there and picnic tables, etc. I remember there being a sign (billboard?) at the entrance. As a kid it seemed like it was far away as we lived near Ott elementary and the drive along Noland was pretty rural- especially south of US-40. We tended to go to Doutt's more often since it was much closer. But I recall Sunny Shores as being nicer than Doutt's so sometimes we would make the drive. My parents would also show me some of the remaining evidence from the Ruskin Heights tornado. I think the tornado did a bit of damage at Noland north of US-50 and remember, in particular, a house on the east side of Noland that still showed some evidence- could have been that it lost a 2nd story and was repaired without restoring the 2nd story (??).

The RH Tornado did indeed go thru Knobtown, finally dissipating at what is now Independence Center. Fortunately back then (and pretty much the case today) that area of Raytown/Knobtown/East of Noland was sparsely inhabited.

If MAD would be so kind, he could post photos of the tornado's path thru that part of town. Ironically, those aerials were taken within weeks of the tornado so the path is traceable, using that and descriptions found online.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
This is how Knobtown appeared on June 28, 1963. Just above the first "2" of "22" there is a small lake. It is still there today. Would that be that of which you reminisce?

[/url]

On the NW corner was the "Knobtown Fruit Market" (aka the Fruittown Knob Market by smartasses on my bus). Whenever we had a kid(s) that the route had to pick up off of creepy Rickey. Murkins or Frost Rds which were closer to Noland than Woodson Rd, the bus would continue on to Noland/50. I don't recall much about the rest of the intersection even though the pic shows something at all corners a few years earlier.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
A note about the area known as Knobtown at Noland and then US 50.

There was a gas station out there near or at the intersection. That station would from time to time sell gas cheaper than anywhere else would. I learned when gas was lower in Knobtown from classmates as this was too far for me to drive to gas up if the price did not prove to be lower than in Independence when I got there.

Back then, there were no traffic lights, no stop signs, and no Kansas City, Missouri from US 40 to US 50. It seemed like it took forever to drive there but the distance is only five miles between those two highways.

However, at the time it seemed a long, long way to me.

It felt a long, long way too, even if the speed limit was 50 mph. We lived near Noland/40 and it was rather scary after I got my license to take Noland to 50 Hwy and back. I hated the two lanes and curves and remember someone dying about that time in an accident, rolling down an embankment and lodging up against some trees. More often I'd do the "scenic" and safer route via Blue Ridge to Raytown Rd, to 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City