Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times

Advertisements

East Side Homicide of shooting victim on Thursday has died
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/01/2768623/man-shot-thursday-in-inner-city.html (broken link)

24 or 25 entire metro minus KCMO (3 non-criminal and 13 kck)
19 KCMO (2 non criminal and 2 northland)

Another little side note:
Crime has reportedly (http://www.kmbc.com/news/27109761/detail.html - broken link) been on the rise in Prairie Village. Residential burglaries have jumped 400 percent in the last five years, and last year, there were 105 assaults (compared with 65 in 2006). And this will make you feel even more uneasy: Criminal damage cases and sex offenses doubled int he last five years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw

Last edited by brewcrew1000; 04-01-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
East Side Homicide of shooting victim on Thursday has died

24 or 25 entire metro minus KCMO (3 non-criminal and 13 kck)
If you have them, would you post a link to any news articles about the homicides as you go?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:54 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
That is confusing.

Can you change how your are reporting this?

Entire metro area should include KCMO to get the big picture.

So 44 entire metro? Why do you have 24 "or" 25?

I would say something like:

44 entire metro area
it would be interesting to see this broken down by city.
19 (KCMO) (2 non criminal and 2 northland)
13 (KCK) (3 non criminal)
2 (Independence) etc etc
X (X)
etc.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM

I edited the first link for the source
I think the reason why i'm doing this is to show that crime is widespread and not confined to one specific area. I don't think many people that realize that poverty in Johnson County is becoming an concern, i saw a report that 1 in 10 children live under the poverty level in Johnson County.
One out of 10 children live under the poverty level in Johnson County - NBCActionNews.com - Kansas City

Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM

I can change it but i don't have the specific breakdown, if i would have put all the sources in the previous postings it would have been easier

I have 24 or 25 because I was going off memory when i first started it, so the numbers are a tad off to start

I think the breakdowns are like this but not for sure, just going off memory
Also, the non criminal ones are police officers doing the damage, none of these account for self defense or anything that might happen later down the road
13 KCK
1 Shawnee
2 Olathe (1 Non-Criminal)
3 Clay County
3 Independence (1 Non-Criminal)
1 Blue Springs (Non Criminal)
1 Lenexa

Old 04-02-2011, 08:10 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,336 times
This thread needs to be locked. You guys are treating people who are killed as stats. You offer no conversation on how to improve things. It's absolutely pathetic. Lock it down.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:16 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
This thread needs to be locked. You guys are treating people who are killed as stats. You offer no conversation on how to improve things. It's absolutely pathetic. Lock it down.
People are not being treated as statistics; however, statistics are kept on categories of crime, including homocide. See the difference?

The thread topic is "homocide statistics" not "how to improve/decrease homocide". If you'd like to start your own thread on a topic you would like to discuss, feel free to do so.

If you don't like a particular subject you are not required to read or respond to a thread. Lock it down? Do you want to pretend KC metro area does not have crime, specifically homocide?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:27 AM

It's the nature of the thread always being on top and treating murders as stats. There are people from all over the world who read this forum. They all have crime in their areas but are not posting stats ever day, keeping it alive everyday.

The allusion that you're going to solve it by posting stats is pointless. Now if you want to start a thread about how to deal with issues with murder, that could have meaningful impact and I'd participate.

All this murder counting does is keep the thread alive with numbers and literally tells people not to come here.

It's like the TV news... they press the crime every day, almost glorifying it. The murders mostly happen to people getting themselves in trouble, not random. The constant pressing of it everyday gets people to fear the city. This thread is accomplishing the same thing and does nothing to actually reduce crime.

So don't lock it down, but it is tasteless and no different than sensationalized TV news. Yes, it's pathetic.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
It's the nature of the thread always being on top and treating murders as stats. There are people from all over the world who read this forum. They all have crime in their areas but are not posting stats ever day, keeping it alive everyday.

The allusion that you're going to solve it by posting stats is pointless. Now if you want to start a thread about how to deal with issues with murder, that could have meaningful impact and I'd participate.

All this murder counting does is keep the thread alive with numbers and literally tells people not to come here.

It's like the TV news... they press the crime every day, almost glorifying it. The murders mostly happen to people getting themselves in trouble, not random. The constant pressing of it everyday gets people to fear the city. This thread is accomplishing the same thing and does nothing to actually reduce crime.

So don't lock it down, but it is tasteless and no different than sensationalized TV news. Yes, it's pathetic.
Hey, right now you are the one keeping the thread alive. The thread is informative. If you think any thread on CD is going to "accomplish" something in regard to LE's approach to crime control you are kidding yourself. This thread is not about the hows and whys but about stats., get it?

If you are a member of the KC City Council or hold another elected position or are a public servant trying to shut down free speech or whitewash over unsavory crime statistics in the KC Metro area, please identify youself.

If people have irrational fears they are born of their own mind. Threads on CD are not going to create them nor erase them.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Have at it if you find it fascinating to get daily updates and not discuss a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City