Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times

Advertisements

We are driving to from Denver to KC this coming Thursday

No experience with this drive. Tips / distance / watering holes appreciated.

Best breakfast near Marriott Country Club Plaza very appreciated.

Thanks from San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
We are driving to from Denver to KC this coming Thursday

No experience with this drive. Tips / distance / watering holes appreciated.

Best breakfast near Marriott Country Club Plaza very appreciated.

Thanks from San Diego.
Done this drive so many times.

Don't start driving till after 10am so the sun is not in your face the entire time .

Otherwise not much to see till you cross into Missouri. Pick a small town and grab some gas and fast food. If you time it right, Manhattan would be a nice place to stop (maybe aggieville for a bar and grill). It's a nice little college town, but it's off the interstate a bit.

I would blow through Topeka. I usually take 470 rather than 70 through Topeka, it's faster and has more places to stop and eat if needed.

Never been, but I hear this place is good:

http://eggtc-kc.com/home.aspx (broken link)

Old 08-08-2011, 08:30 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
Classic Cup on the Plaza has a decent breakfast and is within walking distance from the Marriotts. Which Marriott? There are 3 brands on the Plaza. EggsTc is not bad, would need to drive. For something funky/different and if willing to head towards downtown, You Say Tomato is quite good and Succotash is good for weekend brunch - both E of Crown Center.

Check this thread for places to eat...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...laces-eat.html

Here's a city guide on main bus line...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

How long in KC?

Edit: If you want a quick counter bite, Ingredient on the W side of Plaza has a pretty doable breakfast for contemporary counter food. For low brow older school diner, maybe Winsteads on E side of Plaza - is pretty basic though.

Last edited by xenokc; 08-08-2011 at 09:22 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Done this drive so many times.

Otherwise not much to see till you cross into Missouri. Eggtc. + Kansas City, MO (http://eggtc-kc.com/home.aspx - broken link)
OMG. Your hatred for Kansas never stops, does it? Granted, it is a long drive through Kansas, but the Flint Hills are beautiful and scenic, and I much prefer that to the urban blight and trash lined streets you see through much of Kansas City, Missouri. Plus, Kansas takes better care of their roads.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
OMG. Your hatred for Kansas never stops, does it? Granted, it is a long drive through Kansas, but the Flint Hills are beautiful and scenic, and I much prefer that to the urban blight and trash lined streets you see through much of Kansas City, Missouri. Plus, Kansas takes better care of their roads.
Well, the drive is pretty boring from about Aurora, Co to Salina. That's a whole lot of nothing!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
KS roads are definitely better than MO. MO is not as good because MO has about the lowest gas tax in the country. Means cheaper gas but I'd rather raise the tax for better roads.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, the drive is pretty boring from about Aurora, Co to Salina. That's a whole lot of nothing!
I'm thinking more like from Aurora to about I-70 and 18th Street where you can see the kcmo skyline

Kansas is not bad east of Salina (pleasing to the eye). It's still a long boring drive though and no place really worthy of stopping and entering metro KC from the west via 70 is not exactly impressive (sort of depressing you see farms and factories right up to about five miles from MO), so seeing the skyline is the highlight for me.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Avoid entering the KC Metro area between 4pm and 5:30pm as you'll hit a rush hour slowdown Eastbound on I-70 headed into downtown beginning the I-435 West end loop.

Road Conditions: Requirements

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions you gave the OP ...

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
KS roads are definitely better than MO. MO is not as good because MO has about the lowest gas tax in the country. Means cheaper gas but I'd rather raise the tax for better roads.
I would have agreed with this ten years ago. MO's roads were absolutely brutal. But not today.

Most of the interstate system in the KC area is now smoother on the MO side. Missouri was recently rated having the most improved highways in the country.

Modot has rebuilt the triangle, completed Bruce Watkins, rebuilt the paseo bridge, widened 29 north of downtown, completed 152 and added many new interchages, repaved all of 435, repaved all of 470 and added new interchanges, repaved 635 and added new interchanges, repaved all of 29 all the way to KCI, rebuilt many bridges over the downtown loop, rebuilt 70 between 470 and 7, rebuilt 71 south of grandview, added center crossover cables to most interstates and is widening 150 out south and 169 and 210 up north and rebuilding the highways around the sports complex. The last thing left to do is rebuild 70 east of downtown and widen it between 435 and 470. That project is about five years out.

StL has also rebuilt most of that region's freeways, their next big project is a new I-70 bridge north of Downtown.

70 and 44 across MO are also nice and smooth now, especially compared to 35 south of KC in Kansas and even stretches of 70 in KS. There are real nice new four lane sections connecting KC to the lakes and Branson to the rest of MO.

But 70 and 44 is sort of a mirage. It's been resurfaced, but the concrete under that new asphalt is in dire need of replacement, so it won't stay smooth for long.

But I think MoDot has done wonders with MO highways in the past ten years. MO went from worst to one of the better states over night. But they had to go into deep debt to do it. So now they are suffering and unless MO voters raise funding, MO will return to one of the worst states in the next 10-15 years.

Missouri has one of the largest road systems in the country with one of the lowest gas taxes. One problem with MO is that so many state highways and roads that are maintained by the state should be maintained by local cities and counties. MO should turn lose about 1/4 of its system to local jurisdictions so they can concentrate on state type roads (like Kansas and most other states do).

MoDot took a chance and went into major debt to hopefully win browning points with voters to get a higher gas tax passed. I hope people have noticed and respond accordingly or it's going to revert back to the way things were.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-08-2011 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City