Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Although I'm unconvinced it has a serious effect on the convention inductry, I'm happy to agree with you that the strip club changes are not only asinine and pointless but also the opposite of true limited government conservatism.

But for those of us on the left of things, take heart: MO ain't as red as sometimes it has appeared to be and its bellweather status is still very much in play. We're gonna have a tight race in MO in '12 Obama, Romney tied in Missouri - Public Policy Polling
yea, I was just looking for a reason to slam bartle, I'm sure strip clubs probably have no impact on conventions. But that guy just bugs the crap out of me. I think people elected into office should be there to deal with roads, public safety, schools, finance, taxes etc. I don't think they should be elected to enforce religious moral issues. But I guess that's the "liberal" side of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
yea, I was just looking for a reason to slam bartle, I'm sure strip clubs probably have no impact on conventions. But that guy just bugs the crap out of me. I think people elected into office should be there to deal with roads, public safety, schools, finance, taxes etc. I don't think they should be elected to enforce religious moral issues. But I guess that's the "liberal" side of me.

I don't think they should be elected to enforce religious moral issues. But I guess that's the "liberal" side of me.[/quote]

I thought it was the right wing evangelicals that did that? Kinda like they are doing in KS.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times
I have a couple of friends who travel for business and they said going to strip clubs is a big thing for traveling businessmen because they can go there and put it all on the corporate credit card.

I know I had an account manager I use to work with come into town and I had to take him out and we went to Bazooka's because that is where he wanted to go. I think he dropped $300 of the companies money in there.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:25 PM

886 posts, read 2,225,352 times
Quote:
I doubt it all that damaging, but just a great example of what elected officials shouldn't be doing. There are other more important things.

When did you become the god of what people talk about on internet forums anyway? Everything you post is so "chamber of commerce ish". While I do that too, It's okay to look at things that could be improved as well.

Bartle bugs me. Get him out of there. And people know that in places like Chicago and NYC they can find entertainment. This is not a convention center area thing, but a state wide issue anyway.
I love how these small government, conservative republicans want to have the government get in citizens personal business and force their opinions of morality on other people.... completely hypocritical.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:58 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
^Truth.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
Quote:
Like it or not, having adult entertainment options is part of the entertainment package for conventions.
Quote:
I think it would have some impact on retaining conventions.
Quote:
I'm sure strip clubs probably have no impact on conventions.
Wow.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Wow.
yea, well everybody talked me out of it. But I googled it and sure enough, I'm not the only one that thought there is some connection between adult entertainment and convention biz.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,352 times
Quote:
yea, well everybody talked me out of it. But I googled it and sure enough, I'm not the only one that thought there is some connection between adult entertainment and convention biz.
It's funny how people will come at you if they think your wrong, then if they successfully change your mind, they give you crap for not sticking to what you originally said...

I just think laws like this make MO look like small minded conservative backwoods religious nutjobs... I love KC, but being in MO is one of the things that makes me want to leave. The sad part is, I get it... most of small town MO is super conservative.... but don't pass state laws that enforce your beliefs on the liberal cities who make the money that keep this state going.... keep that in your own community.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:06 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I just think laws like this make MO look like small minded conservative backwoods religious nutjobs...
I don't think tighter restrictions at strip clubs do that. Now not being able to buy liquor at a grocery store in NY and WA states is pretty backwards while MO has probably least liquor restrictions of any state. Liquor restrictions are more backwards than strip club restrictions by far.

You apparently haven't spent much time in the South. MO has conservative rural mentality but try Georgia and other Southern states. Outside of Atlanta it's truly backwards. MO is literally politically/socially balanced... compared to deep red states MO seems more blue, compared to deep blue states MO seems to lean red.

According to religious stats that show religious identity, MO is average - and less religious than Illinois or Minnesota. Politically it went red last election but not over 50%. McCain was something thinkg 49.4% and Obama 49.3%. Latest MO polls are showing Obama over any GOP candidate.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 PM

216 posts, read 623,094 times
I don't see what "adult entertainment" has to do with liberalism. Seems like a euphemism for exploitation of women, particularly vulnerable young women, and a venue for trafficking and human rights abuses. Cities like Saigon and Bangkok have more "adult entertainment" than any city in this country, and the true liberal values of freedoms, equality, and human dignity seem to be lacking in those places.
The liberal in me would like to see a city where human dignity is respected, and less people, particularly young women, are exploited for the entertainment of wealthy businessmen.
I might not agree with Bartle and his agendas, but I can't see defending this industry in the name of keeping revenue in KC.
Plenty of men and women manage to travel the world for business and avoid strip clubs. If that's where we have to go to attract travelers, heaven help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City