Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,837 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am likely moving from Maryland to the Kansas City area in the fall to live with my fiancee. He currently lives in Shawnee, but at the moment we're not sure if we're going to stay there or move nearby in Kansas. I currently work at a biotech company but have degrees in biology and public health/ environmental sciences. As far as I know there's not a whole lot of biotech in the area (at least not as much as in the DC metro area) so I am definitely open to other science type jobs, especially considering that biotech isn't exactly a thrill for me these days. I'm looking for advice on where to start looking; does anyone know any desirable companies in the area? I'm not sure what the commute is like and so I'm not sure if I want to have to drive too far to get to work. Any help or insight anyone has about job hunting or about moving to Kansas in general would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkellar1 View Post
Hi! I am likely moving from Maryland to the Kansas City area in the fall to live with my fiancee. He currently lives in Shawnee, but at the moment we're not sure if we're going to stay there or move nearby in Kansas. I currently work at a biotech company but have degrees in biology and public health/ environmental sciences. As far as I know there's not a whole lot of biotech in the area (at least not as much as in the DC metro area) so I am definitely open to other science type jobs, especially considering that biotech isn't exactly a thrill for me these days. I'm looking for advice on where to start looking; does anyone know any desirable companies in the area? I'm not sure what the commute is like and so I'm not sure if I want to have to drive too far to get to work. Any help or insight anyone has about job hunting or about moving to Kansas in general would be great. Thanks!
Some good suburbs in Kansas in the KC meto would be Shawnee, Lenexa, Overland Park, Prairie Village, or Leawood. In terms of companies I am not that familiar with what is available in that area, but other posters should have some ideas. Commuting times anywhere in the KC metro should be around 30 minutes unless you live out in a rural area where it would take longer to get somewhere on the many interstates in KC. If you are looking at buying now is the time because it is a good buyers market with a lot of good affordable houses in many of the suburbs. In fact, many older 1970s 4 bedroom homes are going for around 200-225K. This is excellent affordability considering the high wages and fairly high median incomes that exist in Johnson County.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 PM

17 posts, read 74,175 times
Post Just a thought

Have you thought about or looked in to Quintiles Bio Research Center?
Work Worth Doing - it might be a good fit. Their center is located in Overland Park, which is the middle of Johnson County.

If you are planning to relocate and need help with finding a place to live, I am happy to help. I am a KS/MO Real Estate professional and I am happy to help you and your fiancee.

-Keri J.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 AM

104 posts, read 688,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkellar1 View Post
Bayer in Shawnee may be your best bet for a "science" related job..however, unless you have MUCH to offer, it is extremely difficult to get your foot in the door...but give it a go anyway.

Housing in JOCO is a joke...way overpriced, in spite of what the other poster wrote. It is a seller's market....not a buyer's market.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
Bayer in Shawnee may be your best bet for a "science" related job..however, unless you have MUCH to offer, it is extremely difficult to get your foot in the door...but give it a go anyway.

Housing in JOCO is a joke...way overpriced, in spite of what the other poster wrote. It is a seller's market....not a buyer's market.
They're moving from Maryland. They're not going to think it's overpriced. :-)

With recent woes in the mortgage industry I'm curious as to how you can claim it's a sellers market throughout Johnson County.

Do you have anything you could reference in support of your postions, I'm certainly curious?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM

5 posts, read 20,439 times
I am also curious how it may be a sellers market, I am not knocking your opinion but want to know as much as possible about the area

Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post

From my personal observations it looks like a buyer's market. In cental Overland Park their have been homes for sale that have sat on the market for many months that have not been sold, or have been taken off the market.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
From my personal observations it looks like a buyer's market. In cental Overland Park their have been homes for sale that have sat on the market for many months that have not been sold, or have been taken off the market.
This has been my experience too, my co-worker's house has been on the market for *a while* and so have several in my neighborhood.

I'm thinking the earlier poster just had sour grapes for some reason about Johnson County or Kansas, which I occasionally see on this forum. However, perhaps they can back it up with a link to home sales etc.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:43 PM

17 posts, read 74,175 times
Post Johnson County

As a Realtor in Kansas and Missouri, specializing in Johnson County, I can tell you it certainly is more of Buyer's market. There are different definitions of what a Buyer's market actually means, although the primary explanation is the length of time a house is sitting on the market and the absorbtion rate (how many houses are on the market as competition). Some will tell you that Buyer's can get a 'deal', and I will agree in some instances, yet the houses that are priced right for the current market and staged to sell will certainly net a better dollar for the Seller (it also pays to have a good negotiator on your side). The market is different than it was a couple of years ago, and houses are not getting bidding wars, yet Seller's are still pricing them as if that is the case. In a nutshell, it really depends on what the market is doing right now, not what one hopes it is doing or what it was doing 5 years ago.

In response to the question about a science related job- it may be worth looking in to KU Med and their research center. Welcome to The University of Kansas Hospital and click on Research Facility.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,837 times
Thanks everyone for your replies; hopefully I'll be able to find a job soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City