Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times

Advertisements

I've never thought of KC as bible belt. I remember this topic in a school text book and seeing a map (which I can't find one quite like it now) that showed more of a belt shaped swath across the middle of the South.

I think the key here is that this is coming from "people on the internet" who are most likely from the coasts and think of everything in fly-over county as being a homogenous, religious, conservative wasteland. To many, there's no difference between KC, Little Rock, Cleveland, Memphis, Minneapolis, etc.

Also, (try not to get to excited about this kcmo ) I think the work "Kansas" makes many people automatically think KC is a deeply conservative Christian city. For many people, the only that Kansas is known for as being the state that teaches Intelligent Design, and being home to Fred Phelps. Even if people know that KC is in MO, they still associate our city with these fools to the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, this is quite interesting as you are referring to a scholastic secular work environment.
Not really that surprising, since the bulk of my work is with predominantly severely disabled individuals. Most Christian denominations speak particularly to giving of one's self, time, and talents to help those in need, and professions that work closely with people with special needs are often quite attractive to people who have been raised with this particular spiritual perspective.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
newest religious data. Compare KC to STL

STL metro

KC metro

So I can kinda see how KC might be considered Bible Belt. Evangelicals are the largest grouping by a pretty big margin, then Catholics. In St. Louis, Catholics are the largest grouping, followed very closely by Evangelicals.

But in a true Bible Belt city, Evangelicals would be far and away the largest.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
I think the work "Kansas" makes many people automatically think KC is a deeply conservative Christian city.
The state of KS actually is below US avg for religious identity if this stat is correct...
Religion in Kansas

Is consistent with the notion that the further West you go, the less religious identity. But KS does have a handful of loud evangelicals who get involved with politics (and school board).

JoCo, Lawrence, Wichita and even WyCo are below US avg. WyCo has significantly mostly non-religious (66%), then Hispanic Catholics and otherwise non-denominational Christians.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not really that surprising, since the bulk of my work is with predominantly severely disabled individuals. Most Christian denominations speak particularly to giving of one's self, time, and talents to help those in need, and professions that work closely with people with special needs are often quite attractive to people who have been raised with this particular spiritual perspective.
Well, that is very true and it is a good thing when people are generous with their time and talents.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:16 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I don't even know what a Evangelical is and find religion to be kinda dumb. But then again, I don't know much about it! I know enough about religion to know that it makes no sense to me. I was raised catholic in urban kcmo, then later interacted with the Baptist religion (via my kc area family) and married into Lutheran where my son was recently confirmed (which I totally support and he will have to decide for himself if he wants or needs faith). I have nothing against those that are into religion though, so long as they don't play games and it seems like a lot of religious people play games with what they say vs what they really think etc. Kind of annoying. I'm not sure I would say I don't believe in god, I just don't believe in organized religion. I just think a lot of people need it, but others hide behind it. Ok, way too much info probably...

While I would not say that KC is bible belt and the stats are interesting about how religious KC is. There is a noticeable difference between the KC area and the DC area. For one there seems to be far less churches. In KC, they are just everywhere. That could be a total illusion, but that's the impression I get. Second, people don't seem to go to church out here. The percent of people that go to church every sundy in KC seems relatively small, but out here it's almost as if people don't go at all with the exception of a very few. The percent seems way less than KC and those that do are very quiet about it. In KC, little leagues would often work around church hours etc. Out there, church doesn't even seem to cross anybody's minds.

So while KC might not "identify" with one religion, it does seem like religion is more a part of a higher percent of the population there or maybe people out here are religious, but they just rarely actually attend church or discuss their faiths with others. It's almost a "it's none of your business what church I go to or what faith I am" attitude vs the more in your face mentality of the south or the more social interaction of the midwest. It's just different.

Again, these are just observations.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
So I can kinda see how KC might be considered Bible Belt. Evangelicals are the largest grouping by a pretty big margin, then Catholics. In St. Louis, Catholics are the largest grouping, followed very closely by Evangelicals.

But in a true Bible Belt city, Evangelicals would be far and away the largest.
Actually, unclaimed is the biggest group by far in both cities, which is pretty telling. And it bears mentioning that the Catholic church has lurched rightward in recent decades, and is is exhibiting an increasingly evangelical (little "e") bent.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Actually, unclaimed is the biggest group by far in both cities, which is pretty telling. And it bears mentioning that the Catholic church has lurched rightward in recent decades, and is is exhibiting an increasingly evangelical (little "e") bent.
unclaimed is the biggest group in most cities, even in the Bible Belt. check out Nashville

The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

it doesnt necessarily mean that those people arent religious. Theyre just not registered with a parish or church. My family is like that. This is especially true for denominations that have a lot of foreign born people

Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't even know what a Evangelical is and find religion to be kinda dumb.
I mentioned the meaning in an earlier post, if you care to know, although since you find religion to be kind of dumb, it's doubtful that you'll read on, but perhaps someone else might take something from it. In a nutshell, it's one who feels called to evangelize, which is, literally, to preach the Gospel, particularly to those who have not heard it, in hopes of conversion. Being evangelical, in common parlance (or identifying as an "Evangelical Christian"), typically means that one considers oneself philosophically "born again," and is compelled by doctrine of faith to be actively vocal regarding his or her faith, in the hopes of bringing others into the fold.

All Christian traditions are evangelical (small "e," adjectival form), to an extent, as one of the tenets of Christianity is to share the word of the lord, as you understand it. But, for some traditions (i.e. various mainline Protestant sects), more emphasis is placed on sharing one's spirituality indirectly, through acts of kindness, charity, compassion, etc., and not so much on proselytizing.

This is why you may see the evangelical Christian who feels that the best way for him or her to live his or her faith is to have head-on, frank discussions with people about whether or not they consider themselves "saved," and talk to them about whether they have committed their lives wholly to their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the presence of others...and you may see, say, a Episcopalian, Presbyterian, or Lutheran (although it gets complicated with Lutherans, because some small sects of Lutheranism identify as Evangelical Christian...but they are not the majority) parishioner who feels that the best way to live his or her faith is to collect food for food depositories, sponsor families in sister congregations in third world countries, or knit or crochet blankets to donate to homeless shelters and maternity wings of hospitals. The mainline Protestant would consider what they are doing to be evangelical (small "e"), as they are living out the tenets of the faith they are taught through their actions. But they're not necessarily having the proverbial "Come to Jesus" discussions more common to Evangelicals.

Speaking from my personal experience with mainline Protestantism, I've never been concerned in the least about "bringing someone into the fold." I have no interest in compelling someone to make what I feel is a very personal decision. If somebody wants to explore their faith, cool, but it's really not my business or place to "convince" them. Evangelicals typically feel otherwise. Some mainline may feel otherwise, as well, but, again, I can only speak to my personal experience.

Edit - Hopefully, this won't get deleted for being deemed to be more appropriate to the religion forum, as this thread could have gone either way, and the info is pertinent to the discussion, IMO.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
^ Thanks. Actually, religion in general is interesting to me and I did read your post. When I said dumb, I meant the overall choosing a religion, pushing others on that religion, fight wars over religion etc. I think religion is fine, it's just that so many people take it to an extreme and judge others based on their religion or lack of religion, which is exactly what I thought religion teaches you not to do (most religions). The entire idea is puzzling to me but I do find it interesting. But again, thanks for the post, your description is about what guessed, but with some nice details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City