Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 10:32 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joco a world class city View Post
I wonder if that still holds true since the 80s and metropolitan areas look a lot difference since then. A lot of the white flight happened in the 80s , I’m not an economist but I would wonder why cities like the phoenix area are booming when Phoenix is a bad core city imo.
Climate, principally. Economics isn't everything. And lots of people like the mountain scenery surrounding the city. It's better known as a place to retire to than as a place to make your fortune.

And yes, the ties between the economic performance of core cities and their suburbs remain as strong as they did in the '80s. Dick Voith, then a Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia economist*, wrote the paper below for an academic journal in 1998; I don't think you will find the links to have attenuated to any significant degree since then, your claims to the contrary notwithstanding:

Do Suburbs Need Cities? (Journal of Regional Science 38(3) (1998), pp. 445-454)

tl;dr: Yes. The relationship is less one-way than it once was, but it's still symbiotic.

To offer a cultural example of the symbiosis: Do you really think that everyone going to First Friday in the Crossroads or Westport on a Saturday night lives in KCMo exclusively? One of Philadelphia's most popular adult playgrounds, Main Street in the northwest neighborhood of Manayunk, fills on the weekends mainly with college students from the Main Line suburbs across the Schuylkill River, who have no such entertainment districts close to their campuses.

*Yes, We're Acquainted. He now works for a private economic consulting firm in Philadelphia, and his wife is an accomplished architect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 02:17 PM

21 posts, read 11,357 times
Yea most the people at the airport and chiefs games are from Kansas now (mostly JOCO). But I know people who live in Olathe and Overland Park who have never even step foot in Missouri. And many don’t know where the river market or the crossroads even is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City