Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:27 PM

87 posts, read 135,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
As far as the original topic. Lidia's is awesome. The one in Pittsburgh is great too. Both are in awesome near downtown locations in historic structures within gentrifying industrial districts. KC is lucky to have that place.
We've actually been to the one in Pittsburgh, and it was very nice! I imagine the one in KC is equally impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:28 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
To the OP. I would just get this house and be done with it.

709 W 50th St, Kansas City, MO 64112 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Bella Napoli in Bside is one of the few legit in KC. The also use imported IT cold cuts on stock sammies - capocollo/cappicola, prosciutto, soppressata, etc. Corrollo's in City Market use both imported and E Coast versions and maybe Consentino's too though I see mostly Boarshead, which I don't see the fascination with. The majority of 'Italian' delis in KC are otherwise pretty watered down with cheap meats, like d'Bronx.

BTW, there's a new small AmItalian joint in Westport called Cucina della Ragazza that is quite good for 3rd gen+ AmItalian and also nice neighborhood happy hour bar - mostly lesbian crowd at bar. Place is always busy. If not too hot out, they do old school air conditioning with a fan in front of ice bucket, which is a cute touch. Cool small urban rehab joint with maybe 6 tables and bar.

Cucina della Ragazza - Kansas City, MO | Yelp
Great information! Thank You! The authentic cold cuts and real cured meat will be important to my father especially. He will certainly ask me about it, so now I have an answer and a recommendation.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoCucuzza View Post
As it pertains to the "River Market", could you tell me some more about that. It appears to be a planned urban community which is part condo development, part apartment complex, part farmers market, part restaurant strip, and part retail plaza. I'm unsure I have ever seen anything like it before. We wouldn't live there ourselves, but is my interpretation of it accurate? It looks quite impressive.
River Market is actually one of oldest parts of city, not really a 'planned' area, though the City Market was moved into a re-planned area. Is mostly 19th century warehouse type lofts that have been converted over last 15 years and attracts mostly young professionals. Very cool area with a very good city/world market (though only one Italian called Corrollo's) - otherwise Central/S American to N African/Ethiopian to Asian markets/eats. E of there is Columbus Park that used to be the historical Italian district but is now mostly SE Asian - still a couple AmItalian passable places but not particularly great. Brookside is more of a 'family' environment with a cute walkable 'town center' with tudor style buildings - more comparable to old 'inner ring' burbs on E Coast.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM

495 posts, read 778,602 times
Quote:
To the OP. I would just get this house and be done with it.

709 W 50th St, Kansas City, MO 64112 is For Sale - Zillow

That house is amazing, but what's up with all the monkeys in the bathroom

Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
That house is amazing, but what's up with all the monkeys in the bathroom
Yea. Seems like if you are going to sell, might make that a bit more neutral especially since the rest of the house is pretty well done. Great modernized older home in a nice central location (can walk to plaza and Loose Park), one of the best private schools in the city is just a few houses down the street. Big private lot, mature trees. This would cost 2-3 million in DC.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Yea. Seems like if you are going to sell, might make that a bit more neutral especially since the rest of the house is pretty well done. Great modernized older home in a nice central location (can walk to plaza and Loose Park), one of the best private schools in the city is just a few houses down the street. Big private lot, mature trees. This would cost 2-3 million in DC.
That is a lovely house, no questions about it. It's a bit out of our desired price range, and we are still a few months away from making a move, but one thing is for sure.....you have great taste! I don't even want to think about what that house would cost in some of the more affluent areas of the northeast......nevermind what the taxes would be out here!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:42 PM

131 posts, read 185,098 times
Quote:
yea, it wasn't really directed at you but more of a post directed at defending the Royals. You didn't really say anything negative about the Royals, but I do hear such comments all the time from MLS fans. Although I'm sure many Royals fans will put down soccer too.

I have been a fan of the "wizards" since they came to KC, so it's been nice watching them finally get things going with the community.

As far as a downtown ballpark. I'm not sure it matters as much with soccer, but most of the newer MLS stadiums are being proposed for urban locations. I think the MLS is even trying to require new MLS markets build downtown stadiums (not sure how enforceable that is). I have not been to a game here in DC, but will go to them once the new stadium opens near the baseball park. I think you have the ability to pull from a different demographic with urban stadiums. You will lose some of the suburban crowd and smaller children (due to perceived parking issues, crime etc), but gain more of the younger urbanites that would prefer the location and areas around it. As for the Royals, I think a new stadium would have really brought in some nice crowds for a few years, but then it would settle down and depend on performance of the team. But they would bring much needed energy and spin off development to downtown KC (hotels, etc) and help justify transit investment. Sorry to keep this off topic. Anyway. Good to see Sporting do well. Hope it keeps up. Location is not really my cup of tea, I have been to a couple of games at the stadium though and it's a nice stadium with great atmosphere, I'm just not fond of the suburban/rural retail mall location. Kind of like Kauffman with its industrial and run down residential location. But like Kauffman, its location wouldn't keep me from going to games if I still lived there. I would just be going to lot more if it were downtown.

Yeah completely agree with the location, it's a shame that the plan to build it at Bannister didn't go through, its more in the city core, and that area could of definitely used the boost.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:22 PM

131 posts, read 185,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoCucuzza View Post
Thank you again to all of you.

We have never had Google Fiber here on the east coast (that I know of anyway) and have always simply used whatever cable provider offered RAI, BeIn Sport, and other entertainment necessities. As long as some provider there can offer those stations, then we will simply use that provider. That is, as silly as it may sound, a necessity for us.

As to these other suggestions about possible locations to watch soccer, we will look into those as well. I have been reading that the soccer culture in Kansas City is "as close to a European soccer culture that can be found in the U.S." Of course, it mentioned Seattle as well, but nonetheless that is also encouraging.

The schools are the next thing we are examining, however with private school options it is less than pivotal for us. We will likely find a community that we would like to live in, where my parents would also be comfortable, and then figure out the school thing from there. My son, who is 8 years old, would be enrolled in elementary school upon our relocation.

As it pertains to the "River Market", could you tell me some more about that. It appears to be a planned urban community which is part condo development, part apartment complex, part farmers market, part restaurant strip, and part retail plaza. I'm unsure I have ever seen anything like it before. We wouldn't live there ourselves, but is my interpretation of it accurate? It looks quite impressive.
Then I would definitely give Border Star a look if you considering the Brookside area and considering public schools. The community of the school is close knit and it attracts kids from all walks of life (It also has a pretty big bi-ethnic european-american student body).

To add to what xenokc 's description of the River Market, it also has a few bars, cafes and coffee shops. The market aspect is only lively during the weekend but these stay open during the rest of the to provide entertainment for the Lofts.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:01 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
I don't like to post St Louis stuff in other cities, but you should really consider The Hill neighborhood in StL. It's an Italian-American enclave that is Sicilian as all heck. Part of the film "Miracle Match" was filmed there, about the 1950 USA World Cup team (which was about half from that neighborhood).

Pictures: Groth Guide to The Hill - nextSTL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City