Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:47 PM

196 posts, read 396,982 times

Advertisements

I know this article is 14 years old and I know it's from England, but as soon as I stumbled upon it I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry by how ridiculous it is:

Kansas City: Bush country where guns and God hold sway - Telegraph

Even for 14 years ago, this had to be the most ignorant, inaccurate, and untrue description about KC (metro or proper) that has ever made it to print.

I realize KC in 2000 wasn't exactly an urban paradise (it has drastically improved since then), but it wasn't exactly Arkansas either. This UK article suggests that KC is the "buckle" of America's bible belt; most people aren't educated about politics and are all self-proclaimed, gun-toting, bible-thumping rednecks.

Kind of makes me wonder, is THIS what foreigners perceive KC to be like? ...or at least those that are aware of KC's existence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:09 PM

638 posts, read 627,217 times
I imagine foreigners are completely ignorant of Kansas City. So ignorant in fact that their opinions aren't even worth being bothered by. I mean, some Americans probably think that outside of Moscow Russia is a bunch of cavemen in igloos. Or that all the British are soft and drink too much tea.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:15 PM

196 posts, read 396,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
I imagine foreigners are completely ignorant of Kansas City. So ignorant in fact that their opinions aren't even worth being bothered by. I mean, some Americans probably think that outside of Moscow Russia is a bunch of cavemen in igloos. Or that all the British are soft and drink too much tea.
Random "KC" residents are quoted in the article above, so I assume the person behind this article actually travelled overseas to KC. Did he just skip downtown and only visited in the rural outskirts?

Whoever labels KC "redneck", "country", and "bible belt" (whether they be foreign or not) should be dragged into the street and...well, you know.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:02 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,295,754 times
Yeah, that's one of the stupidest articles I've ever read lol!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 PM

638 posts, read 627,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
Random "KC" residents are quoted in the article above, so I assume the person behind this article actually travelled overseas to KC. Did he just skip downtown and only visited in the rural outskirts?

Whoever labels KC "redneck", "country", and "bible belt" (whether they be foreign or not) should be dragged into the street and...well, you know.
I don't understand what your trying to say. I was just answering the OP in stating that I don't even think most foreigners know KC exists, and their opinions of it would be so uninformed that they wouldn't even be worth listening to. The article is apparently referring to KCK, since Missouri was not mentioned once.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:16 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,582,351 times
I could kind of see this being the view of people outside of KC... I mean the westboro church in kansas doesn't do the area any favors... and KC does have kansas in it's name... they might confuse the state with the city in this case?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,750,615 times
Hah, I'll run it by my lovely sister-in-law, a KC native who expatriated to London twenty years ago, when I go visit her in a couple of weeks. But I do know that she and her Scottish husband come back for visits, they always bring a bunch of Brit friends with, because they all love their time in KC so much. When we had our wedding in KC in January, the British contingent that came with them was fairly big.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,982,401 times
I wouldn't really call that an article, more like some made up dribble catering to whomever they are catering to.

Two thoughts though.

1. This is not too far from what many people out here on the east coast think of Kansas City. KC takes on the political and stereotypical images of rural conservative America and whatever Kansas stereotypes. It is what it is.

2. It has always seemed to me like many in the UK don't think too highly of most of America, not just KC. In many ways, all of the US is sort of "redneck" compared to the UK, or that's kind of how I see it.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:27 AM

3,565 posts, read 8,007,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
Nice.

I like this because it pisses off the self-loathing types and people who worry too much about what others think. It's interesting to think that places like Texas and Nashville are so successful despite these things being much truer and well known about them. That makes me wonder why people in Kansas City are so worried about what others think in terms of this type of stuff. It makes me wonder what's really holding Kansas City back and why anybody would think such an image/perception would be the culprit when it clearly doesn't have that effect in so many other places, even where it's much truer. Could the very attitude of insecurity and inferiority complex that is displayed about the perception of Kansas City be related to what is holding it back?

Old 09-05-2014, 04:41 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Nice.

I like this because it pisses off the self-loathing types and people who worry too much about what others think. It's interesting to think that places like Texas and Nashville are so successful despite these things being much truer and well known about them. That makes me wonder why people in Kansas City are so worried about what others think in terms of this type of stuff. It makes me wonder what's really holding Kansas City back and why anybody would think such an image/perception would be the culprit when it clearly doesn't have that effect in so many other places, even where it's much truer. Could the very attitude of insecurity and inferiority complex that is displayed about the perception of Kansas City be related to what is holding it back?
The real question is where did this notion that there is something "holding Kansas City back" come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City