Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 07:46 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
So overland park is part of KC when it come to the sports teams and other entertainment in KC,mo but any other time it's just Kansas! Sounds about how I remember it!
Nah, OP is way better than KC. For starters the schools in KC are horrible and graduate mostly future prison members which is the bulk of the KC population I think....but hey lets have a fair and honest conversation because hey, it's possible that KC will be a utopian paradise in the future so I don't want to cast any aspersions upon it.....

Seriousy guys?

News----> Speculation lot factual ----> Called out on it ----> Eruption blaming the OTHER side of the state line

Honestly guys? WTF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 10:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_t80 View Post
It seems like this 1.8 billion dollar project is getting close to getting approved. This looks to be another Mission Farms type mixed use place but with slightly better access (being right off the Antioch exit). This also includes a 3500-capacity performance arena. I live close to this area. I am not sure if I am excited or a little concerned about the potential increase in traffic in the area.

What do you all think? Is this a good move for the OP/KC?

Brookridge development project in Overland Park clears another hurdle. | The Kansas City Star

The potential increase in traffic is a concern. Same with the project at the site at the old Meadowbrook golf course. I remember before Sprint was built in Overland Park. There was so much less traffic, fewer stop lights, and the lights that were there were on sensors, not timed. So I could really drive down Nall from way north - 75th or so - to past 119th and rarely if ever have to stop. The lights changed to green as I approached them.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why would losing Overland Park jobs NOT be metro job losses? I agree, JoCo is part of KC only when they want to be. Royals win the world series and all of the sudden JoCo people are proud to be from "KC" or when people visit, they show them the plaza or downtown, but the next time Kansas poaches a KCMO company or the MO side ask the KS side to work with them to fund transit or the zoo or the stadiums, they will be back to being Kansans again.
I lived in Johnson County before you were born, I'm sure - back before there WERE any Kansas City Royals. It was the Kansas City As. I was there when Royals Stadium was new. I attended games at the new stadium when I was in high school. And I have ALWAYS been a Kansas Citian. I grew up experiencing BOTH sides of the state line - American Royal, Philharmonic, Kansas City As, Chiefs - yep, I was alive when they won the Super Bowl and I actually remember it - KC Zoo, King Louie, Shawnee Mission Park, Benjamin Stables, sledding at country clubs on the Kansas side - and there was not the animosity then that there is now, nor the hatred toward those who chose NOT to live in Kansas City, Missouri.

There are things about KCMO that I don't like, though. One is attitudes like yours. The failing school district. The crime. The urban decay. The rat problem. The sewage system problems. I don't want to live with those things. On the Kansas side I don't have to. I'm still a Kansas Citian.

Since Houston's on the Plaza is closing now, I no longer have a reason to go to the Plaza. That was really the only reason I ever went there anymore. The only reason I go downtown is to go to Sprint Center, but last time I went there the smell of sewage was overwhelming as I was walking to and from the venue. Doesn't exactly make me want to rush back.

I'm glad that the Kansas side has what I need in my day to day life and I don't have to cross the state line unless I just want to. There is nothing wrong with people choosing to live on the Kansas side. And there is nothing wrong with pointing out the things that we don't like about the Missouri side.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-29-2017 at 11:04 PM..

Old 01-30-2017, 07:12 AM

654 posts, read 631,633 times
Any post in Johnson, Wyandotte and maybe Leavenworth county should always be in the KC forum, for clarity's sake. Why would this post about a major addition to the KC metro area be in the Kansas forum?

Old 01-30-2017, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 8,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Any post in Johnson, Wyandotte and maybe Leavenworth county should always be in the KC forum, for clarity's sake. Why would this post about a major addition to the KC metro area be in the Kansas forum?
Yes, anything to do with the KC Metropolitan area (be it KS or MO side) belongs to this forum. This should not be confusing to anyone who lives or has lived in the KC. Also, just as a FYI, the Kansas forum does not even have a dedicated page for KC. I see only Wichita.

As far as KC or Missouri, both sides of the cities have nice places, neighborhoods and sports teams and that is what makes KC a great city. Although I live on the Kansas side, I enjoy many parts of the MO side too.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:51 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_t80 View Post
Yes, anything to do with the KC Metropolitan area (be it KS or MO side) belongs to this forum. This should not be confusing to anyone who lives or has lived in the KC. Also, just as a FYI, the Kansas forum does not even have a dedicated page for KC. I see only Wichita.

As far as KC or Missouri, both sides of the cities have nice places, neighborhoods and sports teams and that is what makes KC a great city. Although I live on the Kansas side, I enjoy many parts of the MO side too.
Justin, stick around or maybe use some of the search functions on this forum.

This is a new change and it's not innocent.

There is a long term feud between KS and MO which I apparently walked into as a transplant.

Constant attacks on KS in the KS forum ultimately caused many of us to complain to the forum moderator that also happens to moderate the MO forum and frankly.....has little to no use for KS.

As a result, eventually the garbage in the KS forum stopped (again fully viewable by searching on poster histories) and then sprung up again.

In short, the anti-KS posts have been moved to a forum where they have more latitude under the guise of the "KC-metro".

P.S. If you copy any of their posting styles they will ironically call you a troll which is generally against the TOS.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I lived in Johnson County before you were born, I'm sure - back before there WERE any Kansas City Royals. It was the Kansas City As. I was there when Royals Stadium was new. I attended games at the new stadium when I was in high school. And I have ALWAYS been a Kansas Citian. I grew up experiencing BOTH sides of the state line - American Royal, Philharmonic, Kansas City As, Chiefs - yep, I was alive when they won the Super Bowl and I actually remember it - KC Zoo, King Louie, Shawnee Mission Park, Benjamin Stables, sledding at country clubs on the Kansas side - and there was not the animosity then that there is now, nor the hatred toward those who chose NOT to live in Kansas City, Missouri.

There are things about KCMO that I don't like, though. One is attitudes like yours. The failing school district. The crime. The urban decay. The rat problem. The sewage system problems. I don't want to live with those things. On the Kansas side I don't have to. I'm still a Kansas Citian.

Since Houston's on the Plaza is closing now, I no longer have a reason to go to the Plaza. That was really the only reason I ever went there anymore. The only reason I go downtown is to go to Sprint Center, but last time I went there the smell of sewage was overwhelming as I was walking to and from the venue. Doesn't exactly make me want to rush back.

I'm glad that the Kansas side has what I need in my day to day life and I don't have to cross the state line unless I just want to. There is nothing wrong with people choosing to live on the Kansas side. And there is nothing wrong with pointing out the things that we don't like about the Missouri side.
I find it interesting that everyone ignores the problems with KCMO/reasons I prefer to live in Johnson County. Anytime anyone brings up legitimate concerns, you ignore them and hope no one notices the post.

Last edited by luzianne; 02-05-2017 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 03:52 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I find it interesting that everyone ignores the problems with KCMO/reasons I prefer to live in Johnson County. Anytime anyone brings up legitimate concerns, you ignore them and hope no one notices the post.
Maybe because it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. Or because you have brought up your reasons for living in Johnson county hundreds of times, in many different threads, often apropos of nothing.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
Maybe because it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. Or because you have brought up your reasons for living in Johnson county hundreds of times, in many different threads, often apropos of nothing.
There are lots of posts here that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. The thread became about bashing Johnson County/Kansas as soon as kcmo posted. And most of the subsequent posts have been in response to that. Maybe if he'd refrain from doing that every time Johnson County or Kansas are mentioned...

And it was KCMO boosters (and strangely, ones who don't even LIVE here) who turned it into "Oh, you are a part of Kansas City when the Royals win the World Series..." and provoked the subsequent responses, mine included. Keep it up and I will start posting Missouri-bashing threads. Turnabout is fair play, right?

And still, no one acknowledges the REASONS so many choose to live in Johnson County instead of Kansas City, Missouri.

Last edited by luzianne; 02-05-2017 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 10:04 AM

9 posts, read 8,778 times
Looks like this project is moving forward and construction may start this fall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...dbreaking.html

3D rendering video of the development:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...ase-video.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City