Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 2,463 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Independence. I'm 28 years old, female, and for the last few years I've been too sick to work. I'm finally doing better and have a new job in KC, where I'll be working part time remotely/doing site visits. I'm moving in with elderly relatives in Independence, as I can only work part time and I racked up a lot of debt those years I was sick and not working. They're not charging rent. I'm grateful for this opportunity, but my aunt and uncle really aren't happy about it. They didn't protest, but they're doing it as a favor to my parents, who pay many of their bills. They've always been anti-social/grumpy type people. They've commented that they want me out of the house most of the time, and I want to be respectful, so I will.

My questions are about safety and good places to spend my time. People say to use your "street smarts" but I've spent my whole life in a tiny, rural town, so I don't have any. I plan to spend most of my time at parks, but I don't know which parks are safe for a woman alone to hang out, especially early mornings/evenings. Cold doesn't bother me, I'm from Northern MN, but if it gets real bad I can go to a library.

Does anyone have any advice about the parks in the Independence area? I have unlimited data, so I can do my remote work there. Are there other good places to hang out besides there and the library? I do want to conserve gas, as I'm trying to get back on my feet, but I can still only work part time. I've been living with my parents for years while I've been sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 03:30 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah1492 View Post
I am moving to Independence. I'm 28 years old, female, and for the last few years I've been too sick to work. I'm finally doing better and have a new job in KC, where I'll be working part time remotely/doing site visits. I'm moving in with elderly relatives in Independence, as I can only work part time and I racked up a lot of debt those years I was sick and not working. They're not charging rent. I'm grateful for this opportunity, but my aunt and uncle really aren't happy about it. They didn't protest, but they're doing it as a favor to my parents, who pay many of their bills. They've always been anti-social/grumpy type people. They've commented that they want me out of the house most of the time, and I want to be respectful, so I will.

My questions are about safety and good places to spend my time. People say to use your "street smarts" but I've spent my whole life in a tiny, rural town, so I don't have any. I plan to spend most of my time at parks, but I don't know which parks are safe for a woman alone to hang out, especially early mornings/evenings. Cold doesn't bother me, I'm from Northern MN, but if it gets real bad I can go to a library.

Does anyone have any advice about the parks in the Independence area? I have unlimited data, so I can do my remote work there. Are there other good places to hang out besides there and the library? I do want to conserve gas, as I'm trying to get back on my feet, but I can still only work part time. I've been living with my parents for years while I've been sick.

There are several Starbucks locations in Independence, and they don't seem to mind if you hang around awhile. You could rotate amongst them. As far as parks, it would depend on which end of town you'll be in. The weather here is very variable, so sitting out in a park may not be comfortable at times. MidContinent Public Library has three branches in town, all of which have areas you can sit in with your computer.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:37 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Panera Bread also seems to attract a lot of “sitters.” How about Independence Center? I like the library idea the best.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:01 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,914 times
I have a friend in the Independence area and he hangs out at the Barnes & Noble near Centerpoint hospital a lot. He also frequents a MidContinent Library. He does this all the time, so he's probably a familiar face at these places and so far has had no problems.

I wish you well in your new life!

Old 09-02-2018, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 2,463 times
Thanks everyone. I'm glad to have several indoor places to choose from in case it gets below zero or is raining.

I do hope to spend time outside, at least until the summer heat comes. I've been told I'll be in between front street and the stadium. Does anyone know if the parks in the area are safe?

Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
The Burr Oak Woods Nature Center is kind of a neat place. If you need WiFi I doubt they have it, but there is a building (the nature center building) with a small dining room where you can sit down to eat, and undoubtedly they'll let you do work there, and you can watch the birds at their bird feeders while you're working. There's also wild turkeys hanging out beneath the feeders.

There are also several small parks throughout the city - George Owens Nature Park, the Bingham-Waggoner Home (historic site) has a large property with a big lawn and trees that looks like a nice place to hang out, there's a park with a lake just to the south of the Bass Pro Shops, and several smaller parks throughout the city.

Quote:
I've been told I'll be in between front street and the stadium.
The only Front Street I know of is in this industrial area in Northeast Kansas City, which is quite a ways from the stadiums. Doesn't sound like they gave you a detailed description of your locale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City