Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 09:24 AM

479 posts, read 802,155 times

Advertisements

What the best BBQ that is easily accessible for a relatively quick and easy stop off I-70? We'll be driving through on our way West and won't have time to venture too far off the I-70. TIA for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 10:15 AM

732 posts, read 1,046,070 times
^^^^ To k2rider

If you're going west on I-70, right before you get to the downtown loop , you have Gates on the north side of I-70 on 12th st. or south of I-70 on 18th street, you have Arthur Bryants. Both are off Brooklyn Ave and are just a short hop off the interstate.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:20 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
What the best BBQ that is easily accessible for a relatively quick and easy stop off I-70? We'll be driving through on our way West and won't have time to venture too far off the I-70. TIA for the advice.
Ask 10 Kansas Citians about their favorite barbeque, you’ll get 10 different but equally passionate answers. I’m particularly fond of Arthur Bryants, which is just a few blocks south of I-70 at 1727 Brooklyn, KCMO). Another good choice would be Jousting Pigs BBQ in Kansas City, KS by the Speedway (1702 Village West Parkway, KCK) which is also just a few blocks from I-70.

Please report back after your trip.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:41 AM

165 posts, read 143,703 times
I love Bryant's and that's an easy trip off I-70 and a well known BBQ joint that epitomizes KC BBQ. Two places that are not mentioned above are Jack's Stack BBQ in the Freight House District and County Road Ice House in the Power and Light District. Both of these are equally accessible from I70 as anything else mentioned here. I might add that if you are coming through on a weekend night and do not have much time, Jack Stacks normally runs a long wait. It's probably my favorite KC BBQ and is a little upscale but not that much more expensive than the others.

County Road in the P&L District is the downtown manifestation of Joe's KC BBQ which is an excellent BBQ. I've been there once and the quality is not quite as high as Joe's other restaurants but it's still very good. Both places have parking (for County Road you park on the street or in the P&L parking garage and I seem to remember that they do validate).

Old 10-04-2022, 08:26 PM

634 posts, read 327,856 times
Bryant's has always been my favorite but I haven't had it since just before the pandemic, the last time I was back home. My grandmother told me that it hasn't tasted as good and the quality has gone down a bit the last few times she has had it though, in addition to prices going up because of the pandemic.

Speaking of Bryant's though: If anyone buys Bryant's sauce, what do you like to cook it with? Every time I'm back home I buy a bottle of sauce, and I recently discovered that an Ace Hardware store near me stocks it. I wind up tossing the bottles in the trash after so long though because I don't cook all that much, don't know how to cook that much, don't grill or own a grill, and don't know what to put the sauce on or in. I guess it could get poured over just about any meat but Bryant's has a pretty distinctive taste that I don't know that I would like over, say, a grilled chicken breast or something. I've been wanting to cook more meat recently though and I'm tired of never using the sauce I'm buying (especially because the bottles here are $7/ea).

Old 10-04-2022, 11:11 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
I stayed near the big airport, and the the closest BBQ was in the Zona Rosa shopping center. It is called the Smokehouse. It is the only BBQ spot I tried in the city limits. How does it compare to the other more famous spots.

I also went to this place called Smoked Creations in a nearby town called Ottawa. How does this place compare to the more famous places?

Old 10-05-2022, 09:07 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
NJ_Brazen3133: Thanks for giving me a couple of places to check out on my upcoming return visit. I suspect, however, that neither of these places will be as good as the ones already mentioned here, for unless they've just recently opened, I suspect someone would have already mentioned them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
I love Bryant's and that's an easy trip off I-70 and a well known BBQ joint that epitomizes KC BBQ. Two places that are not mentioned above are Jack's Stack BBQ in the Freight House District and County Road Ice House in the Power and Light District. Both of these are equally accessible from I70 as anything else mentioned here. I might add that if you are coming through on a weekend night and do not have much time, Jack Stacks normally runs a long wait. It's probably my favorite KC BBQ and is a little upscale but not that much more expensive than the others.

County Road in the P&L District is the downtown manifestation of Joe's KC BBQ which is an excellent BBQ. I've been there once and the quality is not quite as high as Joe's other restaurants but it's still very good. Both places have parking (for County Road you park on the street or in the P&L parking garage and I seem to remember that they do validate).
To Okey Dokie's "ask 10 Kansas Citians about BBQ, get 10 different opinions" point:

I took a good friend of mine (a fellow journalist who at the time worked in the McClatchy Washington Bureau and thus was not unfamiliar with KC thanks to frequent trips to The Star; however, since most of the people he knew in the city lived West of Troost, I did show him a side of the city he really didn't know on our visit back in 2013) to Jack Stack in the Freight House (Crossroads Arts District) upon our arrival in the summer of 2013.

As we dined on what I considered decent but not great Q, I said to him, "This is what happens when you dress barbecue up in a suit and tie." (I did, however, find the Bloody Mary they served with an olive stuffed with a burnt end cute.)

We did both love what we got from Q39 (my first visit there, too) and LC's (which I would recommend for burnt ends especially). And FWIW, while Q39's more casual than Jack Stack, it's pretty upscale too.

Does Joe run County Road? If so, then I must pay it a visit when I return.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:32 AM

165 posts, read 143,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
NJ_Brazen3133: Thanks for giving me a couple of places to check out on my upcoming return visit. I suspect, however, that neither of these places will be as good as the ones already mentioned here, for unless they've just recently opened, I suspect someone would have already mentioned them.

Does Joe run County Road? If so, then I must pay it a visit when I return.
It's actually a collaboration between Joe's and another KC restaurant group called Back Napkin. It serves at least a portion of Joe's BBQ menu but it also serves tacos and other items in addition to BBQ. I've attached the announcement of its opening from a few years back.

https://www.joeskc.com/pages/county-road-ice-house

It gets generally good reviews

https://www.yelp.com/biz/county-road...se-kansas-city

Old 10-05-2022, 11:31 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
It's actually a collaboration between Joe's and another KC restaurant group called Back Napkin. It serves at least a portion of Joe's BBQ menu but it also serves tacos and other items in addition to BBQ. I've attached the announcement of its opening from a few years back.

https://www.joeskc.com/pages/county-road-ice-house

It gets generally good reviews

https://www.yelp.com/biz/county-road...se-kansas-city
Well, the P&L District may still be a fiscal millstone draped around City Hall, but at least this gives R. Crosby Kemper III one less reason to hate it.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:04 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Smokehouse is our regular go-to BBQ place (get The Crispy) but the OP specifically asked for places close to I-70. Bryant’s requires a bit of logistical planning for us, but it is my all time fave. I wish they hadn’t closed at Ameristar and in KCK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City