Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 12,476 times

Advertisements

Okay, i am new to the forum, but i have been reading along with several people wanting to know about KC and whether they should move there. We are a boring, 30 something, settled, Lesbian couple, not bar flies, not ultra liberal. We have no kids, but may adopt in future. We are trying to move closer to family, which is spread out between OK and SW MO. I have a sense of the Springfield/Branson area and enjoy it very much. We live in the Seattle area, and are tired of 345 days of precipitation. I think we would like to live in or near KCMO, although ST Louis is an option.

I don't have a real question, I just thought i would get some opinions, I will not take offense at what you have to say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 AM

13 posts, read 79,529 times
Default Hello from KCMO

Kansas City has quite a bit to offer, and I have been told that our cost of living and traffic congestion are more attractive than the St. Louis area.

KC is very diverse, great are. Wonderful new place is downtown - the Power and Light District. The Country Club Plaza is always a favorite. Westport area is also another area in which we are proud.

Have any questions, ask.

Sandy

Old 05-27-2008, 09:09 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
You might want to look into KS/MO laws regarding same sex parenting/adoption. I don't believe either state allows it, or at best, it depends on the individual judge you go before and their personal political leanings. While you can live in urban KCMO or StL in an accepting neighborhood, neither state is very friendly toward gay and lesbian people and will no doubt be the last states in the union to offer any sort of domestic partnership laws.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:54 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
KCMO is probably one of the most open minded metros in the midwest when it comes to gay. But you are still in the heart of the Missouri and Kansas bible belt, so yea, getting away from urban KC or StL and it's quite a bit different. But I'm not sure it's any different than most other states.

You can live a quiet, comfortable life in urban KCMO as a gay couple and have no problem taking in all of what the city has to offer. That's the bottom line.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Thank you for your opinions, they have been helpful so far... I really think I'll be looking at the Independence area specifically, but it sounds like I might want to look at the downtown/midtown as well. Anyway, we are looking for quiet life, not looking to sway anyone else's politics or beliefs... I understand that it is the bible belt and I respect people's faith.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I think most people would agree that St. Louis tends a bit more liberal than Kansas City, which is certainly something to consider, but I agree that you won't have problems in either city. i would have a hard time recommending KC if you were single or more into nightlife, but as you are not, I think you could be quite happy there.

Oh... just for the record... St. Louis has a shorter average commute time than KC.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 PM

69 posts, read 251,285 times
Kansas City is a bit more liberal than St. Louis. I am referring to Kansas City, Missouri not the suburbs. The nightlife in Kansas City especially with the new Power & Light District is awesome. The Country Club Plaza area, Westport, and the new Power & Light District are packed with people in their 20's and 30's every weekend. The singles scene is alive and doing quite well
in Kansas City. The traffic is much lighter in Kansas City compared to St. Louis, therefore, your commute times are shorter.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:22 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I love St. Louis myself, but you should be fine in either. My uncle and his boyfriend lived in Kansas City with my cousin (his daughter from his marriage). I don't think they had any problems. My uncle doesn't talk much about his relationship, though. Most people don't know at first. It's a bit taboo, though moreso here in rural Southeast Missouri than in KC or STL.

Either should be fine.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:48 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW View Post
Thank you for your opinions, they have been helpful so far... I really think I'll be looking at the Independence area specifically, but it sounds like I might want to look at the downtown/midtown as well. Anyway, we are looking for quiet life, not looking to sway anyone else's politics or beliefs... I understand that it is the bible belt and I respect people's faith.
Sounds like you just want a quiet suburban home. You will be fine. Nobody will even care. I have to ask, why ask? Do you think this is really a problem in any major metro area? I wouldn't think so.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Sounds like you just want a quiet suburban home. You will be fine. Nobody will even care. I have to ask, why ask? Do you think this is really a problem in any major metro area? I wouldn't think so.
I ask only to get a feel for the sentiment. I was raised very religious and understand the depth of people's faith and convictions. I consider my relationship perfectly natural, and I do not want to go anywhere that I would have to hide it. that doesn't mean i am in peoples face. Still, i have spent almost no time outside of the west coast, so i really don't know.

On the whole, at least from those who have responded, it seems that folks there are about the same as here. Just living their own lives and not overly concerned with how i live mine. That is an encouraging thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City