Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 AM

25 posts, read 153,483 times

Advertisements

I have just accepted job at St. Joseph Health Center and I would like stay in KCMO city limits. I want to live near my work if possible and want to know the general feel of the nearby neighborhoods.

I'm interested in the following:

Verona Hills

Red Bridge

Blue Hill Estates

Lea Manor

Longview

Robandee-Fairwood

Robandee South

Martin City

Richards Gebaur

Ruskin Hills

Ruskin Heights

Hickman Mills

Foxcroft-Glen Arbor

I'm just curious of the good, bad and ugly these KCMO neighborhoods.

My price range is 120k to 160k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:17 PM

709 posts, read 1,493,563 times
What are you looking for in a neighborhood?

Most of the neighborhoods you listed are typical middle-class suburban areas from a few decades ago.

I would suggest adding Waldo to your list of neighborhoods to check out.

St. Joseph is right next to 435 so you would have pretty easy access from a further range, if you are so inclined

Old 09-14-2008, 10:10 AM

25 posts, read 153,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
What are you looking for in a neighborhood?

Most of the neighborhoods you listed are typical middle-class suburban areas from a few decades ago.

I would suggest adding Waldo to your list of neighborhoods to check out.

St. Joseph is right next to 435 so you would have pretty easy access from a further range, if you are so inclined
Will add Waldo.

I'm looking for quiet streets with sidewalks (where I live now they don't have them) with easy access to major roads for restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, parks, and libraries.

I've also heard some not so pleasant things about southern Kansas City, like the area around the now abandoned Bannister Mall is "decimated".

Is there a problem with blight throughout south Kansas City and in the neighborhoods I mentioned?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:08 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Southeast KCMO went through some major problems in the 90's and it will probably take 10-20 years for the area to recover, if it ever does. I would stay away from the SKC area east of Holmes. I hate to say that, but it's the way it is. That scratches off most of the areas you have listed. This includes the area around Bannister Mall etc. Hopefully that area will see a major renaissance in the next few years and the mall is replaced by a massive mixed used development and other improvements are made. But it’s basically suburban ghetto over there right now.

West of Holmes, you have plenty of great choices.

Red Bridge would be a very good start since it's the closest to St Joseph. That is basically the entire area south of 435 between State Line and Holmes out to Martin City.

Red Bridge will have some very expensive areas along State Line and more modest areas to the east. It's all a pretty safe area and it's nice and mature and the housing stock is solid and most of the older homes will have been updated or expanded at least once. Most of it is in the Grandview School District, which I think is a fine district. (don't listen to people that think there are only 2 good school districts in the entire metro...)

Martin City is another great place. It was once a small town and much of the older homes are crap. But there is a lot of new construction in the area some of it may be in your price range. I'm not sure. But I would look into it. There is a lot new shopping centers out there.

I would personally recommend you go north of 435. If you can afford it, try to find something in the Brookside area. It’s more walkable and has a lot more charm than the areas out south. I don’t know what you can get in your price bracket, but you will probably have to go south and east of brookside or in the Waldo area.

There are a lot of very nice areas between Waldo and Brookside, again, you will have to stay east of Wornall to even begin to get a place for under 250k though.

South of Wornall, there is a area of town with a lot of starter homes. They will be in the 120-150 range.

South of that you will get into the Watts Mill area which is between Waldo and Red Bridge. This is also a great area.

I would just say to look between State Line and Holmes south of 85th. And between Wornall and Troost north of 85th.

You will find something you like. Focus on 63rd, Meyor etc east of Broodside Blvd though…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City