Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times

Advertisements

I am a mid-thirties single female moving to the Kansas City area from Salt Lake City, UT. The company I will be working for is in Overland Park. I need some information on good, safe areas to relocate to. I have no children and would like to eventually buy. I have read great things about Johnson County in general. I am also interested in Liberty, MO and possibly Lees Summit, MO. I don't want a horrendous commute but would consider a reasonable commute for the right area. Thank you for any feeback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:14 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Living in the same state you work in makes it easier come tax time.
Overland Park, and everything around it, is very suburban. It is also very much geared towards families. Lee's Summit and Liberty are similar. Come to think of it, pretty much all of the suburbs are like that. Not a bad thing, but if you're single and want to be around other singles, your best bet is downtown/midtown Kansas City, Missouri.
Liberty, and most places north of the Missouri River, would be a pretty long commute to OP.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I would suggest northeast Johnson County. This is a much more established suburban area with higher densities. You have Prairie Village, Westwood, and Mission. It is also only a few blocks drive to the high ammenity Plaza area and a 30 minute or less commute to Overland Park.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM

10 posts, read 45,110 times
I agree with pretty much everything stated by NorthBound.

Once you realize Liberty's true distance from the Overland Park area, the commute to OP everyday would get old real quick. I would even consider Lee's Summit a pretty lengthy drive, but I guess it just depends on what part of OP you're new employment is in, as it is a fairly large area that spans out quite aways.

The crime in Midtown/Westport lately has seemed to be picking up lately for whatever reason, but with my experiences down there (I have never lived down there, but am in the area pretty often at friend's places so I'm pretty familiar with the area), as long as you're a peaceful soul just going about their business and you're open-minded (many different kinds of people in Midtown, melting pot of the city IMO), and watch what streets you choose to walk down at night, you'll be more than alright.

There's a lot to choose from in Overland Park area however, and pretty much the entire Johnson County area (Overland Park, Mission, Shawnee, Lenexa, Olathe) is very nice, nice parks to relax in, good selection of stores, clean and nice places to live, etc. Also, there are houses and neighborhoods that span across the entire income scale.

However, you did state that you are single, and there is A LOT that seems to be going on downtown right now. But everything seems pretty close knit in the Greater Kansas City area (on both sides of the state line) so if you lived in Johnson County and wanted to venture to Midtown or Downtown for some night-time festivities or anything, the drive would be reasonable and not grueling.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
I would highly suggest Kansas City North area between Gladstone and Parkville. It has easy access to both 169 and I-29 which is important in getting to Overland Park.

I live in that area and work in Overland Park. It takes me no longer than 25 minutes to get to work.

If you lived in Lee's Summit or Liberty you would be looking at 40 minutes to an hour.

On top of the commute you have quiet, safe, and clean neighborhoods and access to about anything you would need as far as shopping or entertainment goes.

I probably will never live in another area as long as I live in KC.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 25,572 times
Default thought about Downtown

there alot of nice lofts downtown and its a great area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City