Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,038 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 children, and I are moving to KC MO. We know nothing of the area. We would prefer to live in a walkable area, family friendly and close to parks. Our main goal is to have an awesome elementary school for our son. We are also needing a Pre K program. I would love suggestions on what part of town (low crime is a must!) has the best schools. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 02:42 PM

37 posts, read 73,520 times
My family and I are in the same boat. We found out today that my husband has to be there a month earlier than we first thought so we'll be moving Thanksgiving. Greatschools.com is a great site to check out a school. Best of luck to you!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:10 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,516,818 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/10570981-post2.html

Old 09-03-2009, 07:49 PM

8 posts, read 24,676 times
just my $0.02, but my mom is a teacher here in Texas. I asked her about finding a good district because we're planning to move to the KC area in the next year. She basically said:

If you find a great district, you still might have individual schools which have issues.
If you find a great school, you still might have individual teachers who aren't the best.
If you find a great teacher, they can still have a bad year.

All of that is out of your control. She said your best bet is to be involved with your child, with the teachers, and with the school. We've all heard stories about people who came from less than ideal circumstances and made it big. It's more about the effort you put into it than the shopping you do.

I don't know that I completely agree, I'm still looking for good school districts myself, but that's the few from the trenches apparently.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
I agree, having been the product of a small, mediocre rural district with so-so educators employed overall...the majority of my learning was done at home, to be honest, and it more than prepared me for attending a challenging college,where I performed better academically than many of my classmates who were products of exclusive prep schools.

I draw the line in terms of safety, but I firmly believe that kids who want to learn and are supported in their learning at home will learn...whatever caliber of school they spend their time at. Kids with parents actively engaged in their schooling and education will likely excel even if the teachers/schools drop the ball.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 PM

37 posts, read 73,520 times
Scott, as a teacher myself I can agree with your mom. However, I taught inner-city for years and I'd never have my own child in a school like that. I had third graders turning tricks for snack food. Yep, 9 yr olds who sold their bodies! I had to lock myself in my room one day due to a crazy crack head mom who wanted to kill me. I had a fifth grader attack me and the other students. I saw a fourth grade teacher get punched out by one of her students. The student only received 2 days then it was right back in her room. Would you want your child to be around those things and to hear about her friends' part time jobs? When a teacher spends all day trying to keep order in a classroom it leaves very little time for real teaching. In other words, there are bad schools out there.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:36 AM

448 posts, read 1,462,755 times
Try Liberty. Look in the Franklin elementary school zone. Downtown Liberty is very walkable. There is not a grocery store, but there are small mart stores where you can purchase your basic needs. There are also lots of great stores in downtown Liberty. Franklin is the #2 elementary school in the state. I think you will not only be pleased with the school, but also the sense of community you will find in the area.

Most of the homes in the area are smaller, but there are also some new homes. You will find homes in all price ranges in the area, so budget should be based on preferences.

Missouri State Elementary Schools - MO School Rankings
Historic Downtown Liberty, Missouri

Old 09-04-2009, 08:42 AM

448 posts, read 1,462,755 times
I forgot to answer the other parts of your question. Crime is pretty much a non-issue in Liberty. My parents and entire family have lived there for many generations and we've never really faced any issues with crimes. Forgot the preschool part of your question also. There are alot of options for preschool, including some reasonable church based programs.

Liberty also has alot of Big Box stores, resturants, and there is a community center with work out facility, and indoor and outdoor pool.

It is very family friendly. If my husband and I stay in the KC area for a few more years we plan to move to Liberty ourselves.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 AM

476 posts, read 1,320,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emariek11 View Post
My husband, 2 children, and I are moving to KC MO. We know nothing of the area. We would prefer to live in a walkable area, family friendly and close to parks. Our main goal is to have an awesome elementary school for our son. We are also needing a Pre K program. I would love suggestions on what part of town (low crime is a must!) has the best schools. Thank you!
We're in a similar situation, wanting to find good schools AND a walkable area. Unfortunately, the walkable areas (Brookside, Waldo) tend to have terrible public schools, while the areas with terrific schools (Leawood, Overland Park) have terrible walkable areas.

The area we have settled on looking for homes is the one are I think has a bit of both - Prairie Village. It is very walkable, with many parks and sidewalks and a terrific shopping area, and is located in the Shawnee Mission School District, a top notch district. It is populated mostly by young families and senior citizens. There is virtually no crime. The houses are smaller and older than what you will find elsewhere, but if you are okay with that I would highly recommend it.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,283 times
check out mls # 1626838 new elementry school opened fall 09
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City