Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM

258 posts, read 647,671 times

Advertisements

Okay - must be different than Minneapolis then. I grew up near the airport and aircraft noise was deafening - not something I got used to or would want to live by. I have noticed it's pretty dead at the KC airport and I guess chances are pretty good it's not going to turn into a major hub in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3000 View Post
Okay - must be different than Minneapolis then. I grew up near the airport and aircraft noise was deafening - not something I got used to or would want to live by. I have noticed it's pretty dead at the KC airport and I guess chances are pretty good it's not going to turn into a major hub in my lifetime.
KC's airport feels very dead because of the way it is set up. There are no central concourses and therefore, there is very little retail/restaurants. In most airports, people will pass through massive terminals to get to gates. At KCI, you just go straight to your gate. It’s odd and creates what seems like one of the deadest big city airports in the country, yet if you happen to land or take off at that same time at one or two other planes or if there are delays, the place fails in that aspect as well. KCI is convenient to locals and easy to use (I’m a frequent flyer), but KC has go to get over that and build a decent terminal someday. It’s a horrible airport once you are in the terminals.

The reason I bring all that up is because I don’t want you to get the impression that service out of KCI is lacking. KCI actually has great service to nearly every major city and at a fraction of the cost of a hub airport like MSP. I don’t want KCI to become a hub, I just want the terminal to be brought up to 2009 (or 1990) standards. Other than the weird terminal set up, it’s an awesome airport.

But the main reason KCI is not a big issue to KC area residents is the area it takes up and the buffer zone around it along with the flight patterns the planes use to land and take off. The 3 runways are very spread out too. Planes come in from the north and south most times. There is nothing north of the runways and when landing from the south, the plans are coming in at a pretty extreme northeast angle. They typically travel over I-435 and don’t really cross too far in developed area till they get to about 152 by then they have passed everything. If they use the east west runway, planes just fly over Leavenworth. But again, the airports takes up such a massive area that the planes don’t drop down low enough to create a noise issue till they are within a few miles of KCI and there is nothing around the airport itself.

I always get a chuckle out of listing to people talk about KC and KCI when they fly into it. You will typically see absolutely not signs of a city what so ever when you land at KCI and when you enter the terminals, the only people you will typically see are the people that were on the plane with you and the people waiting for your plane’s next flight. People ask where the city is and are under the impression that KCI is a very tiny airport, even though they only saw 5% of it. Then they take the 50 mile drive to Overland Park through the middle of nowhere via 435 and it’s no wonder KC has such as rural image.

Bottom line, don’t worry about KCI noise, but KCI is a much busier airport than it feels.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:17 PM

258 posts, read 647,671 times
I like the airport - it's very quick in and out - and lots of non-stop flights to MSP. DH is a very frequently flyer worldwide and he has no problems with KCI - likes the quick in and out too. Rarely any lines or congestion of any type. There's nothing much inside the airport but you don't really need anything since you're not making a connection and you don't have to get there very early because there's no lines. Parking is easy and cheap too.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I was hanging out about 10 miles from the airport this weekend and plane were constantly flying over. I could barely hear them. If I couldnt see them, I wouldnt of noticed them.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I lived for 20 years at approx. 101st and N. Oak directly on the glide path for the east-west runway. I admit the first few days I lived there the noise bothered me some but I quickly got used to it. Like living near train tracks, you don't even hear it after a while. Some years ago they closed the east-west runway for several months for repairs and it wasn't until about two months into it that I noticed there were no planes going over the house. There are very few flights in or out after 10:30 p.m. Also, depending on the wind direction, there are many days that the E-W or the N-S runways will not be in use at all. Bottom line - don't worry about the noise.

As far as Thousand Oaks, it was developed by Dave and John Barth (who also developed the subdivision I lived in) and they have a good group of builders they use and do a good job of development (IMO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City