Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 17,957 times

Advertisements

ok im a single 26yr female living in omaha ne. im thinking about moving to kc mo for a little excitment. i currently do medical billing and only pay about 300 for rent montly. i obviously know that kc is a higher cost of living but the pay is more too. so im looking for a good location to move to. im thinking downtown kc but wondering about the crime. im looking for pretty affordable rental apartments no more that 600mo. also does anyone know if there are alot of billing jobs in kc mo. thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:30 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,626 times
I personally don't think downtown itself is too bad as far as crime. There are usually people around, and that bodes well. Dangerous in my mind is an area where there are fewer people out and about (like areas east of downtown, etc). Of course you should always be aware of your surroundings wherever you live, and take a little extra caution at night.

As far as rent goes, $600 won't get you a heck of a lot or in the nicest building if you're looking at 1 bedrooms, but you can find something. If you wanted to do the studio thing, you can even go lower than $600 though...the $400-500 range. You could find even cheaper than that, but you probably wouldn't want to live in the neighborhoods were the super cheap deals are to be found.

As far as medical billing jobs, I have no idea, but there are several hospitals near downtown...there's North KC, Truman, Children's Mercy, KU Med, St. Luke's, Liberty, etc.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM

709 posts, read 1,493,044 times
First off, I think you'll like living in KC. I know a number of people who have moved down from NE and really enjoy living in urban KC.

Overall, downtown is quite safe. Sure, there is some crime, like there will be in any city, but it's not too bad of a problem in downtown KC.

Finding something for 600 in downtown may be difficult, with the exception of some affordable housing that is income restricted. You may be able to qualify if you make under 30k or so - this is not Section 8 or HUD, so it's not as bad as it may sound. I know someone that lives in one, and it's not bad at all.

How familiar are you with KC? What is your definition downtown? Everyone in KC has they're own definition of what is considered downtown, so I'm curious as to where exactly you are interested in. Some of the areas just outside of downtown (or they may be considered downtown by some people) might provide as much, or more of the excitement and urban living that you are looking for. So check out areas like the River Market, Union Hill, Westport, Plaza, the Westside, etc and compare them to Downtown to see what would be the best fit for you.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM

well i have done a previous forum and have had suggestions of moving downtown because of my age and wanting to be around people my own age. i really havnt been to the downtown part so im not familiar with it. ive just heard about it. i wouldnt mind living in another area as long as it is somewhat nice and housing is affordable

Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy9er View Post
well i have done a previous forum and have had suggestions of moving downtown because of my age and wanting to be around people my own age. i really havnt been to the downtown part so im not familiar with it. ive just heard about it. i wouldnt mind living in another area as long as it is somewhat nice and housing is affordable
I think given your age and marital status, you would especially like downtown, the City Market (right next to downtown), or the Plaza. There's a lot to do. You could move to the 'burbs somewhere and possibly enjoy it, but you would probably find yourself commuting to a more central location a lot on weekends. It really all depends on what you're into.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:45 AM

9 posts, read 34,721 times
You shouldn't have a problem getting a place for $600 a month, I pay less than that now and have had. Crime around here really varies per neighborhood and I think time of year. Downtown, some midtown/wesport areas, Plaza (there is the Casa Loma that is all utilities paid there) and Waldo are all great areas you should look in.

As far as medical billing goes, I do know that there have been some places that have laid people off but I have seen some notices of some openings also.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 AM

well if medical billing facilities have been laying off then maybe i might just stay in nebraska where i have a good job. i just wanted a change of scenery. who knows. i may move up there someday.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 AM

448 posts, read 1,459,002 times
I also agree that you would probably love Kansas City. There is alot to do and alot people.

Downtown is relatively safe, but you might also consider North Kansas City. You would be close to downtown, but I would guess rent would probably go down and there would be absolutely no issue with safety.

Have you ever looked into medical billing from home. I'm not sure how it works, but if you are able to work at home you could live anywhere. And if you work from home you could probably write off part of your rent on your taxes.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:53 PM

what is considered north kansas city? neighborhood names and such

Old 09-18-2009, 03:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
North Kansas City isn't part of Kansas City....it's a separate town...but Kansas City now expands beyond it, surrounding it. However, it is a separate municipality, not a neighborhood of Kansas City. It's directly north of the river from downtown. You cross the river, drive into NKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City