Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:40 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,258,160 times

Advertisements

Mo state highways are lousy. Local are metro streets are just as good as Ks.
The main commute roads from KC into Ks are I-435 and I-70. a NICE HOUSE IN bELTON WILL COST 40-60K LESS FOR THE SAME HOUSE(darn caps)in Overland Park Ks (good estimate) Belton schools are good. I can comment on that because my brother taught school in Belton for 26 yrs and his wife for about 28 yrs. KC proper the schools are not that good. All the surrounding metro area have good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,208 times
Default Rural Experience

Hi Christina,
If you are really looking for a rural experience, I would suggest that you take a look at Smithville. There is a nice lake there for recreation and acreage is still available at a reasonable cost.
Depending on the location of your employment, you could easily be there in 20 minutes if it is downtown or north of downtown.
I grew up in Missouri and have lived in Kansas for the past 20 years. I still prefer the energy and politics of Missouri. However, the schools are rated better on the Kansas side. So, it sort of depends on whether you have school age children who wish to continue their education after high school.
Anyway, there is no place like the Midwest in my opinion and the Kansas City Metro area is beautiful. The Country Club Plaza with its Spanish architecture, the Nelson Art Gallery, Folly and Starlight Theatres, great restaurants (especially Steak Houses, which we have 8 exceptional ones) and pro sports teams (NFL Chiefs, MLB Royals and Soccer Wizards) make for a complete variety of experiences.
Please join us! Winters are much milder than in the past.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,109,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDreamer View Post
Winters are much milder than in the past.
lol Global warming maybe?

Seriously, thanks for the tip. We will be sure to check Smithville out!

Old 08-30-2006, 03:50 PM
RCL

123 posts, read 680,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDreamer View Post
Please join us! Winters are much milder than in the past.
MoDreamer, thanks to you and all the other posters on here (from both KS and MO) who extend a warm welcome ot out-of-staters seeking refuge from mass pandemonium...and looking to find a more down-to-earth environment to live in. You really make this poster (for one) feel welcome and I appreciate that. So big hugs to you! Thanks also for the helpful information.

I'm a little unsure what you mean by "winters are much milder than in the past". Is it because of advanced snow/ice removal? Better roads?

Also, I was wondering if you can shed any insight on what the commute from St. Joseph to KC would be like in both summer and winter? Are the freeways wide enough to keep traffic flow going? Or is it a lot of bumper to bumper?

I'm going to be going through the area in a few weeks and seeing it for myself but any advance insight on the commute patterns as reported by those who live there and experience it year-round will be very helpful.

Thanks very much to all and have a great day!

Old 10-05-2006, 01:41 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,258,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriLady View Post
Christina, I would like to suggest you check out the northern part of Cass Co., Mo. The price for land is still reasonable and it is an easy commute to KC. Cass Co. is immediately south of Jackson Co., Mo which contains the southern portion of Kansas City. You can check it out and if you would like some more info contact me. I'll try to help. If you like golf in the middle of the country I can tell you about a fabulous place.

Good luck
MissouriLady
Just to clarify: Kansas City city limits stop at 155th st and that is the county line between Jackson County and Cass County.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:15 PM

169 posts, read 679,278 times
There are so many nice rural areas within a reasonable commute distance to Kansas City! Someone already mentioned Blue Springs, very nice community with some nice shopping as well. Liberty is nice too, just a little to the north of Independence. The outskirts of Independence are also very nice. Also mentioned was Lees Summit. You're going to love the area, best of luck!

http://www.bluespringsgov.com/
http://www.ci.independence.mo.us/
http://www.lees-summit.mo.us/
http://www.ci.liberty.mo.us/

Old 10-07-2006, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 14,512 times
Default Liberty - North of Kansas City is Nice! Great Schools

I'm a Texan currently living in Liberty...Just north of Kansas City.
The schools are great here.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 11,711 times
HI..spent a lot of time in Phoenix, Prescott, etc. Live in Kansas, Olathe, KS, great town but live 20 min from there by highway..on five acres..land is reasonable and lots of it..we were in the country with no neighbors but homes being built around us. There is another town called Paola, small but has lots of eateries, etc..great place..both about 30/45 mins from greater KC by Highway..laid back here, hot in summer and cold in winter. But we love the change of seasons..no Christmas like a snowy Christmas. Be sure you get a home with a basement as you will be in Tornado Alley.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:58 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,373,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriLady View Post
Christina, I would like to suggest you check out the northern part of Cass Co., Mo. The price for land is still reasonable and it is an easy commute to KC. Cass Co. is immediately south of Jackson Co., Mo which contains the southern portion of Kansas City. You can check it out and if you would like some more info contact me. I'll try to help. If you like golf in the middle of the country I can tell you about a fabulous place.

Good luck
MissouriLady

I would agree with this. We moved to Harrisonville last summer, which is in Northern Cass County. We have our choice of US 71, MO 291 or MO 7 which are the 3 Harrisonville exits. They diverge and take you to different areas of KC.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,780 times
Liberty, Parkville, and Smithville are all north of downtown. They all have really nice neighborhoods. Johnson County is also pretty nice, Shawnee Mission, Olathe, and Overland Park. They are nice in a lot different way than up north. Everything is a bit more expensive in Kansas, and just a bit more upscale. North of KC, has it's own charm though. Parkville gives you a very small town feel when you visit the main streets, and same with Liberty.

South of KC, is Lee Summit, Independence, and Blue Springs. Independence and Blue Springs, aren't as nice as north of KC or Johnson County. Blue Springs and Independence ae just a little run down. Lee Summit is alright, just not my preference.

All depends on what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City