Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Hey, here's a thought: If you don't like the dress code, don't go there! I don't like the dress code, so I stay away. And I'm white.

I'm not going to go down there, knowing full well there is a dress code, get barred, then hire a stinking lawyer as if I have some Constitutional right to enter any place of business I want, dressed any way I want.

But I guess a lot of people will. After all, there's good money to be made in screaming "discrimination" when you suffer the crushing trauma of not getting entry to some bar.

The problem isnt that there is a dress code. The problem is that the dress code is not applied equally among everyone.

Did you see the pictures of the family that was denied entry? They met all the dress code requirements. I have been admitted to that bar wearing far less nice stuff as they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The problem isnt that there is a dress code. The problem is that the dress code is not applied equally among everyone.

Did you see the pictures of the family that was denied entry? They met all the dress code requirements. I have been admitted to that bar wearing far less nice stuff as they were.
And, allegedly, when the "dress code violation" (that being one man in the party's untucked shirt, apparently) was remedied, they were STILL denied admittance. While others similarly dressed were admitted. I don't know how you tell somebody "You can't come in with an untucked shirt," and, when the person tucks his shirt in, say, "Oh, you still can't come in," and think that's going to be accepted.

Have whatever dress code you want. Just make sure it applies to everyone, or it's your ass.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:33 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,425 times
Quote:
Hey, here's a thought: If you don't like the dress code, don't go there! I don't like the dress code, so I stay away. And I'm white.

I'm not going to go down there, knowing full well there is a dress code, get barred, then hire a stinking lawyer as if I have some Constitutional right to enter any place of business I want, dressed any way I want.

But I guess a lot of people will. After all, there's good money to be made in screaming "discrimination" when you suffer the crushing trauma of not getting entry to some bar.
Perhaps some who have this perspective don't think about the fact that Kansas City tax dollars went to pay for the development and a large chunk of Kanas City residents are being descriminated against. Besides the fact that racism is never acceptable, anywhere.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 AM

822 posts, read 2,046,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famusdarlin View Post
Perhaps some who have this perspective don't think about the fact that Kansas City tax dollars went to pay for the development and a large chunk of Kanas City residents are being descriminated against. Besides the fact that racism is never acceptable, anywhere.
What perspective is that? The notion of combating something that is wrong through protest or the notion that there is a deep pocket to be tapped?

I don't think their dress code is right, so I boycott them. If enough people do that, it will change. Guaranteed.

OTOH, if we can't get enough people to boycott them, then it becomes apparent that many people don't share our belief that it is wrong.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:34 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Quote:
What perspective is that? The notion of combating something that is wrong through protest or the notion that there is a deep pocket to be tapped?

I don't think their dress code is right, so I boycott them. If enough people do that, it will change. Guaranteed.

OTOH, if we can't get enough people to boycott them, then it becomes apparent that many people don't share our belief that it is wrong.
I hate the idea of a dress code, too. If individual businesses want to impose some sort of staandard, that's fine. I've been to manyplaces over the years that require a jacket and tie and will even provide men with them if necessary. But the dress code imposed on a whole area of the city by the real estate developer -- I've never heard of anything like it and it stinks.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:37 PM

25 posts, read 52,021 times
This is going to be bad....

I am not old enough (not yet even 20) to go down to the P&L, but out in the smoke area where I work, I've heard talk from black people AND white people and they have all said the dress code is absurd. One guy got kicked out because he was wearing a white t-shirt and a ball chain necklace. ???? Al-righty.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:39 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:

It is apparent that neither the city nor the entertainment district are doing anything about it and they know that it is happening. What other avenue of remedy is there? They don't want your money; so boycotting a place that doesn't want you is useless.

All they have to do is just enforce the dress code uniformly! Do you have anything against that CP1969?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Woman Makes P&L District Discrimination Charge - Kansas City News Story - KCTV Kansas City

Family claims they were discriminated against at the District in Aug.

Wouldn't be the first time.IMO

I've had white friends denied access to the Mosaic because of what they were wearing, they never screamed discrimination...

this may be discrimination, I really don't know... but the individual bars and places can set a dress code and accept who they want there, if you Google them or go to their website and look at their pictures they have pics of black people in there...

so.. meh. You never know, but my guess is this is someone jumping to conclusion....

Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:

A private company can set any kind of rules they want on who can enter and who can't, as long as it's not based on race... and seeing as both black and white people get denied, it's hard to claim racism IMO.

I'm with you... I don't go to P&L often, but mostly cuz of price and i'd rather go to places in westport/crossroads/river market.

But i've enjoyed it when I have gone there, and i'm already aware of the dress code and I dress a bit nicer if i'm going there... not wearing hoodies or torn jeans, etc ya know? It's not a big deal IMO... many people skip out on westport cuz they are worried it's dangerous. I don't find Westport dangerous at all, but I can say in reality I've seen someone personally shot there (by cops tho for pulling out a gun and pointing it at them) and seen cops chasing people who had drawn guns before... that said I still think its safe, but I can understand why others would be paranoid... they want to bring people downtown with P&L district so they need to do whatever they can do make people feel completely safe.

A dress code is lame, but it doesn't really hurt anyone... and probably makes some people who are more apt to be hostile in certain situation behave differently just because they are dressed a bit nicer.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Nor is it rocket science that a person has the right to go there the same as anyone else.

Are you saying that they should just roll on along with the discrimination and go find another place. Not very American imo. We Americans stand up for our rights! I am not implying that any poster is un American. I am iMplying that you are considerEd a good American if you stand up to injustices.
I wish people would stand up for something important. Discrimination is important of course... but with our history I think many people think things are discrimination when they aren't.

Why don't people riot in the street over our situation as a whole in the US today? We sit complacent in our homes enjoy our favorite corporate sponsored tv show (and I'm just as guilty as anyone else)... while the situation changes in America and the middle class shrinks, CEO pay is blowing up, the middle class is shrinking with the top employer 30 years ago paying on average $60k (adjusted for inflation) per employee and now the top employer pays $17k on average... and someone is wanting to sue over not getting into a club? Our priorities are messed up IMO...

I dated a latina girl awhile back and we went to a grocery store once, the cashier made a comment about how I looked all wrong cuz I was pale compared to her and basically implied I needed to tan. This cashier also was obviously gay (i'm pointing this out as most gays are usually open minded when it comes to things)..

as we left the girl was pissed off and said he was racist saying I shouldn't be with her because she was latina and had darker skin.

I didn't take it this way at all... and I really don't think it was meant that way. I've seen people get turned away from clubs before, especially popular ones that don't have much space... and i've seen people get pissed when others go in after them not knowing that those people might have reserved a table or whatever else.... You can't just assume you are getting denied entry cuz of your race.... because of our unfortunate history I think many minorities want to assume if anything bad happens to them it's because people hate their skin color....

the reality is sometimes people are just dicks, and sometimes you don't know the whole situation.... and yeah sometimes it is discrimination, but I question whether it really was in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City