Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Who cares. Don't go if you don't' like it. Go if it doesn't bother you. The rest will take care of itself.

I like the district and would not punish myself by avoiding an important and vibrant part of the city just because.

The dress code ONLY APPLIES TO THE KC LIVE BLOCK LATE AT NIGHT. It does not apply to the entire district. The restaurants, theaters, etc outside of the LIVE! block are not under a dress code and the LIVE! block only has a dress code late at night. The LIVE! block has 5000 people walking around with open alcohol containers. There has to be a very serious level of control to maintian such an environment.

Call it racial if you want. There are dress codes like this all over the country and the Midwest is really the only place people freak out over it because raical tension is much worse in large midwestern cities. Trust me, the dress code effects white people as much as black people. There are just as many white in metro KC that wear the same kinds of clothing that are supposed to be racial profiling toward blacks. Dress nice before you go clubbing. Should be a given anyway...

Hey! I am a white guy and you sound like a white guy. You haven't been where these people have. So imo You cannot understand in totality what it is like to be treated this way year after year etc.

I am severely handicapped and sometimes i just get fed up with the attitudes of whole persons on how i should feel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Who cares. Don't go if you don't' like it. Go if it doesn't bother you. The rest will take care of itself.

Who cares? Apparently you don't.
Don't go if you don't like it. It is a free country. They have a right to go.
The rest will take care of it's self---------Please explain this statement

Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Seems pretty silly given the people in the picture.

I would hope they would do a better job about uniformly applying standards.

Realize though, they don't want to be the next Bannister mall....so hopefully they will better train their staff and treat people fairly and everyone can continue to enjoy the event.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
I figure that if the dress code is too strict or if people don't like it (which seems to be the case here), then people won't go and Cordish will take corrective actions to relax the code. My point is that in a capitalist society, you have to respond the market or you will fail.

You guys really think Cordish is just some racist company that only want white people in their district? I'm just not buying it.

I will tell you this. The first time something happens in the live block, be it a shooting or stabbing or whatever and I don't care if those involved are white, hispanic or black;, you will hear an uproar from the community as to why "more was not done" to keep the district safe.

I am far from a racist and I do understand what it's like to be a minority. I was the only white kid in an all black school.

What I get tired of if the reverse racism that is so rampant in KC and the midwest. It's why the KCMO school district will NEVER be successful, it's why so many middle american cities have so much crime ridden ghetto per capita.

My wife taught in the KCMO district for 15 years. She now teaches in a district that is just as racially diverse here in MD. The difference? The black teachers and principals respect the white teachers. No chips on the shoulders. They all get along. There is so much reverse discrimination in the KCMO district that nothing will ever get done. Black people that don't have degrees are promoted into positions they are not qualified for while excellent white teachers are treated like outsiders. The kids suffer.

KC has MAJOR racial issues. There are very few areas of the city where you will even see whites and blacks co-existing in a city that has a very large black population. The racial tensions fly from both sides. I tend to think the blacks can be worse than the whites and most intelligent adult african americans will tell you the same. You talk to a 65 year old black guy who actually went through some of the trauma and an 18 year black guy who thinks he is owed something by white people and you can see where much of the problem is. You also have a larger rural population (which tend to be more racist) in the area feeding the fire.

The cordish dress code is a reaction to that. It's not their fault that KC has racial tensions.

Black people started going to Bannister mall and in 2 years, it was known as the ghetto mall and in a period of 4 years went from being one of the most successful malls in the nation to 2 million square feet of empty space. Just cause black people started going there and to this day the entire area around the mall is considered to be violent and unsafe which is simply not true. Bannister Mall we never any more dangerous than Independence Center or Oak Park Mall are today.

What would you do if you were Cordish???

They walk one fine line and have a billion dollar development riding on it. Again, it's not their fault. KC needs to grow up. It's almost 2010.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Um, thats a messed up post. Bannister got in trouble not because "Black people started going" but because the place became infested with muggers, theives and gang-bangers and they couldn't police them from the property. The place got a rep for being dangerous and people took thier business elsewhere.

Look at Oak Park mall over by Lenexa\OP...they have problems over there too but generally pretty infrequent.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM

Really? Cause I lived right by the mall (and worked there) from right when it peaked to right after the community had turned its back on it.

The mall was never "invested" with muggers, thieves and gang bangers. The most that ever happened there was a rash of car thefts and some random crimes that happen at all major malls.

I never felt like I was in danger. Never witnessed any crimes, rarely even saw any sort of police activity other than the exaggerated mall cop force the mall owners hired and the guard towers they built in the parking lots that only made the image of the area worse.

Most of what I heard about the mall was from the TV news. And I lived and worked there. The theaters would get a bit rowdy on friday and saturday nights and suburbanites hated "the bus people". The area was a major metro bus area and it brought 1000's of people from the urban areas to suburban shopping that was not available to them till then. I rode those buses and again, they were fine. The biggest problem? Black people waiting for the buses was intimidating and they did leave shopping carts and trash near the bus stops. The retailers should have done a better job cleaning the bus stops up. Were the bus stops dangerous? Only in KC. Looking back, they looked like any freaking bus stop here in metro DC, only here white people are not afraid to interact with black people at bus stops.

That's about it.

But thanks for making my point

Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
I figure that if the dress code is too strict or if people don't like it (which seems to be the case here), then people won't go and Cordish will take corrective actions to relax the code. My point is that in a capitalist society, you have to respond the market or you will fail.
The issue isn't whether or not the dress codes are too strict, it's the inconsistent application that gives rise to the issue.

Quote:
Probably consistently apply my policies and avoid the whole uproar.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:01 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:

You have somehow missed the entire point. This isnt about how strict the dress code is. This is about it being applied evenly to all types of people including those of different races.

It has not been done. I know this for a fact. I have witnessed it personally and I have not even gone to P & L that many times. You can tell by reading this story that it was not done. I got let into Mosiac wearing worn jeans and a KU t-shirt on a busy Friday night. I guarantee a minority would not of been let it with that.

Power & Light is actually struggling financially and they still have not relaxed the dress code.

Quote:
You guys really think Cordish is just some racist company that only want white people in their district? I'm just not buying it.
No, I dont think it. I KNOW it. It is pretty much a known FACT that Cordish is a racist company that makes regulations to keep minorities out of there entertainment districts. Watchdog organizations have sent people of different races into their districts all over the country wearing the exact same outfits and the exact same physical appearance except for skin color to see how they are treated. Minorities always had a lower admittance rating by large percentages.

A company doesnt continually get complaints about this kind of stuff if there isnt something to it. There have been dozens of reports since P&L opened. P&L is just one of dozens of entertainment districts that Cordish owns.

You ask what Cordish should do?

That's easy. Make sure their policies are applied to everyone equally. It's not that hard.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:04 PM

476 posts, read 1,316,487 times
Quote:
So I guess if they're being racist against only a small minority of people, its cool, because they're not discriminating against most people? Nice principles.

Quote:
No, I think they are a company that employed a vague, ambiguous dress code without clear guidelines, giving their employees far too much latitude in who they could and could not let in, which inevitably led to arbitrary and uneven application, and eventually charges of racism.

Quote:
I will tell you this. The first time something happens in the live block, be it a shooting or stabbing or whatever and I don't care if those involved are white, hispanic or black;, you will hear an uproar from the community as to why "more was not done" to keep the district safe.
Why is a dress code the only thing that can be done to make this place safe? If anything, this is a ridiculous measure that probably won't make the place any safer. How bout asking Cordish to simply keep tight security like any other large drinking establishment?

Quote:
I am far from a racist and I do understand what it's like to be a minority. I was the only white kid in an all black school....yadda yadda
Sorry about your high school experience, but this has nothing to do with what happened at Cordish. Although I suppose it does reveal why you take the stance you do.

Quote:
Make the dress code much less ambiguous for one. Baggy pants? Really? White t-shirts are suddenly dangerous? Actually, I'd probably just do away with it altogether - more trouble than its worth. I'd just beef up security and at this point, probably reach out to the black community to fix my PR problem.

Quote:
They walk one fine line and have a billion dollar development riding on it.
Which is why you'd think they'd have a better dress code to avoid these kind of headaches. This isn't even the first time they've dealt with this - they had the exact same issue in Louisville.

Quote:
Again, it's not their fault. KC needs to grow up. It's almost 2010.
Cordish needs to grow up. Singling people out based on what they wear? Jesus, its the 21st century. Not even my mom asks me to tuck in my shirt anymore.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:22 PM

I'm not saying I agree with the dress code, I'm saying that KC has a very well documented track record for this kind of thing and how racial issues affect retail and really entire areas of the city.

I'm saying that if the P&L would go bust overnight if white people felt intimidated. I personally have no problem with walking into a much more diverse entertainment district and would actually prefer a more diverse district.

But I also know how KC is and if you read any of the threads that concern the Bannister Mall area or even the freaking Raytown area (which is absurdly labeled ghetto by many), you would know what I mean. You are talking about the same people that would turn on the P&L district in a heartbeat. I would not take much for metro KC to turn its back on downtown.

Cordish is looking out for their best interest. Can you blame them? It may not be right, but that's what they are doing. Maybe they should go the other way with it and get rid of the ban altogether and take that chance and see what happens. I don't know. I do know that if whoever in charge is not careful, the P&L district could easily be a big vacant white elephant in the middle of downtown and that would be even worse than the dilapidated buildings and parking lots that were there before.

When I said I went to an all black school, I meant I felt like a minority, not that I didn't feel safe. I thought it was as safe as any school. But it wasn't high school....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City