Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:10 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I still say it has more to do with KS people simply being pricks to me.
Yes, yes, we know ...

Quote:
I had nothing what so ever against KS till I found out that KS people look down on MO people like second class citizens.
But you know, kcmo, you are a classic case in point.

Somewhere along the line you picked up on the notion that KS people are "pricks". (It was bound to happen as it's a common theme in many parts of the metro.) Then, whenever you would meet someone from KS who was rude or whatever, instead of thinking, "hey, that guy's a jerk" you reinforced your notion that "KS people are pricks." It's a self-perpetuating thing.

Oh no, I know ... it's true! You can recount the many many "pricks" you have met in KS. But I contend that this has more to do with the fact that as soon as you learn that someone is from KS, you expect them to be a "prick" and you treat them as such until they fulfill that stereotype for you.

If you expect someone to treat you rudely, you will often come away from your encounter feeling slighted. If you believe that someone is looking down on you, your own defensiveness will cause you to feel that way around them.

Negative attitudes are also incredibly contagious. If you hang around people who reaffirm the ridiculous notion that everyone in KS is looking down on you, the feelings grow and create a snowball effect.

Negative people attract other negative people. This IMHO, accounts for your often-claimed "fact" that so many of your friends share your negative perceptions of KS people.

But the reality remains that Kansas has no monopoly on pricks. Sorry. There are educated and ignorant, snobs and rednecks on both sides of the line as well as anywhere else you might venture.

Oh ... and after reading your longer post ... people who live in KS think of KCMO as "our city" too. Our tax dollars go there too. As such we sometimes have the audacity to criticize it. it doesn't mean we hate it or the people in it. It's quite often that WE ALSO WANT IT TO BE BETTER.

Last edited by Samantha S; 12-11-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Also, most of people I know that complain about KCMO actually live in KCMO. I live in Kansas City proper and think the city is ran extremely poorly. It is ran so badly that it is a joke.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,327 times
RjRobb2:
YOU NEVER HEARD A KANSAS PERSON BASHING MISSOURI!??!?! Well good for you, then you never had to deal with having a good time and then be in an outrage because someone from the opposite side of the state-line dissing on your state and area you live in.

Luckily my friends from high school never gave me this problem (besides the KU/MU games) and not bias and ignorant with a lot of people that I have meet from Kansas. In my opinion, there is a difference of people between North and South Johnson County (dividing line I-435) and my friends who lived in north side were not spoiled, cultured shocked, and judging as the ones from the Blue Valley and the Olathe areas of JoCo.

I lived in an well off area, but that didn't matter to those people because I lived in the ghetto because I was 11 blocks west of Troost and it was KCMO. They literally freeze when they see a black male walking past us and thought I live in a poor area of town. One time this girl from Blue Valley North asked me why I lived on the Missouri side and asked if my parents couldn't afford to live in Kansas and i replied back saying that, "In all honesty I don't think your parents could afford to live in my area."

Which I know is very snobbish, but I was getting so tired of these people from one side of the metro of judging me of where I lived and categorizing me in a wrong way. I know there are plenty of people who live in Kansas and JoCo who aren't like this (my good friends from high school), but I have meet so many judging and bias people that I have formed a negative opinion towards that state and county.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTigers17 View Post
RjRobb2:
YOU NEVER HEARD A KANSAS PERSON BASHING MISSOURI!??!?! Well good for you, then you never had to deal with having a good time and then be in an outrage because someone from the opposite side of the state-line dissing on your state and area you live in.

Luckily my friends from high school never gave me this problem (besides the KU/MU games) and not bias and ignorant with a lot of people that I have meet from Kansas. In my opinion, there is a difference of people between North and South Johnson County (dividing line I-435) and my friends who lived in north side were not spoiled, cultured shocked, and judging as the ones from the Blue Valley and the Olathe areas of JoCo.

I lived in an well off area, but that didn't matter to those people because I lived in the ghetto because I was 11 blocks west of Troost and it was KCMO. They literally freeze when they see a black male walking past us and thought I live in a poor area of town. One time this girl from Blue Valley North asked me why I lived on the Missouri side and asked if my parents couldn't afford to live in Kansas and i replied back saying that, "In all honesty I don't think your parents could afford to live in my area."

Which I know is very snobbish, but I was getting so tired of these people from one side of the metro of judging me of where I lived and categorizing me in a wrong way. I know there are plenty of people who live in Kansas and JoCo who aren't like this (my good friends from high school), but I have meet so many judging and bias people that I have formed a negative opinion towards that state and county.
There are a great number of people (especially kids) from all areas of the metro that are "spoiled" and "snobbish" and have no concept of the "real world". Heck, the majority of kids anywhere in America have no idea how most of the world lives.

You can't judge an entire county of people because their children have grown up wealthy. People try to give their kids the best that they can give them. This often means that their entire young world consists of other people and kids who live just as they do. They will mature, they will learn. Hopefully their parents will have a proactive hand in that, but in the meantime, don't be so <gasp> JUDGEMENTAL of them!

This may come as a shock to you, but people from MO have been incredibly rude to me once they learned I was from JoCo. "Whatcha doin' over here slummin' in MO?" Now what response could I possibly give to that kind of rudeness that wouldn't reaffirm in their minds whatever opinion of me they just formed by virtue of my street address?

I am instantly branded a snob before I even say a word!

You accuse people in KS of being too quick to judge, but you just proved that you are equally as guilty.

And FWIW, no one can put you in an "outrage" unless you let your own buttons get pushed. People say ignorant things about Kansas ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I correct them, most of the time I don't bother. But I don't let it "outrage" me.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times
As someone who moved to Missouri 11 years ago, this issue reminds me of the old Star Trek episode where the planet was populated with people of two different "races;" both had their faces half white, half black, but the distinction was made on which half was which. In other words, they're so much alike that their enmity is more funny than anything else, except maybe dumb.

Yeah yeah, there was a nasty border war fought, what, nearly 150 years ago? Hey, KU took a version of a name used by their side for their mascot (BTW, so did MU-- the "Tigers" were a local volunteer regiment, I believe). Can you believe how evil that Quantrill was?

Both states have real problems that need addressing now. The smarter ones in each state have figured out that the two states can help themselves by working with the other state. One of my regular memes for Columbia's future is to suggest that we take some ideas from what's happening in Lawrence. It's a good litmus test to watch how people react to the suggestion-- it tells me whether they're interested more in the future, or the past.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
As someone who moved to Missouri 11 years ago, this issue reminds me of the old Star Trek episode where the planet was populated with people of two different "races;" both had their faces half white, half black, but the distinction was made on which half was which. In other words, they're so much alike that their enmity is more funny than anything else, except maybe dumb.

Yeah yeah, there was a nasty border war fought, what, nearly 150 years ago? Hey, KU took a version of a name used by their side for their mascot (BTW, so did MU-- the "Tigers" were a local volunteer regiment, I believe). Can you believe how evil that Quantrill was?

Both states have real problems that need addressing now. The smarter ones in each state have figured out that the two states can help themselves by working with the other state. One of my regular memes for Columbia's future is to suggest that we take some ideas from what's happening in Lawrence. It's a good litmus test to watch how people react to the suggestion-- it tells me whether they're interested more in the future, or the past.
I agree it's quite silly from both sides. I've seen people from KS put down MO, I've seen people from MO put down KS. Neither has a monopoly on needlessly prejudging others.

It's interesting to look at the origins of the animosity by reading up on the History if you are into that. But it doesn't solve the problem. For that people have to be willing to stop and apply a little logic.

People like kcmo are amusing though because they simply can't bring themselves to see the issue from the other perspective. To kcmo, people in KS act rudely because they are "pricks". People in MO act rudely because KS people are "pricks." It's classic.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It's particularly silly to transplants.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:22 AM

148 posts, read 403,909 times
Kind of a strange conversation, considering that there are probably WAY more people in Missouri with a snobbish attitude towards Kansans than the other way around, which regardless is silly any way you cut it.

Its really silly considering that what you guys are really talking about isn't really a KS vs MO thing, but a metropolitan fracture.

You KCMO guys and gals are welcome over here, where it's okay to be from Missouri.

GO TIGERS!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:51 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
RjRobb2:

I never said I never have. Of course I have. I have heard Missouri people bash Kansas and Kansas people bash Missouri. However, I dont hear it at work or from my Kansas resident friends.

Outrage? You seriously would be in an outrage after hearing something like that? Who cares. I would never let something some naive, childish person had to say.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with Kansas v. Missouri and everything to do with a girl being sheltered from how the world works. She was obviously oblivious to how the world really is and is a spoiled brat. That is on her parents and herself. It is not on the State of Kansas or Johnson County. You will find snobs like that everywhere.

Quote:
There are people in Missouri that are the exact same way.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,208 times
Quote:
I am instantly branded a snob before I even say a word!
Hey...what's wrong with having some snob appeal?
I've rather embraced the label myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City