Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,808 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I are moving to Kansas this summer but have been having some difficulty pinpointing where we would like to buy a house and wanted to get some feedback from people who do know the area.

I will be commuting to Lawrence every day, so I would like to be no more than 30-35 minutes from Lawrence. My husband travels for work, so the area can't be too far from the Kansas City airport. Some other things that are important to us are being in a good school district and having appreciating real estate.

So far from our web browsing and searching, we have narrowed it down to Lenexa (north of 10, west of 435) and Cedar Creek in Olathe. In terms of distance to Lawrence and the airport, they fit the bill. But we were not sure about the school district and neighborhood themselves.

So my questions were:
- Is the Olathe school district good? I've heard good things about the other JoCo school districts but not so much about Olathe...
- Is there a real neighborhoody feel to these places, with some shopping/eating options fairly close by or will we feel like we are out in the middle of nowhere?
- Are these areas considered up-and-coming (that is appreciating in value) neighborhoods?
- And finally, do you think there is another area that we should consider?

I know that is a lot. But I really appreciate any input that you can give us.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 02:45 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,350 times
- Is the Olathe school district good? I've heard good things about the other JoCo school districts but not so much about Olathe...

It's a good district. I don't care much for the city of Olathe itself, but that's just a personal preference. The Cedar Creek area is very nice as is Falcon Ridge area of Lenexa.

- Is there a real neighborhoody feel to these places, with some shopping/eating options fairly close by ...

Yes

- Are these areas considered up-and-coming (that is appreciating in value) neighborhoods?

Yes

- And finally, do you think there is another area that we should consider?

My two favorite school districts are Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley, but these would put you further from Lawrence. Olathe district ranks right up there as well though, so I think for what you are wanting, you are looking in the right place.

Best of luck!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
The OP might want to ask these questons over in the Kansas forum.

Olathe is quite a long commute from KCI. By the time that commute is made from Cedar Creek to KCI y'all may as well live in Lawrence and only deal with one person commuting. Or, live in north KC with easy interstate access and commute to Lawrence. Parkville schools are quite good on the MO side. On the KS side you might also consider Lake Quivera, Falcon Ridge as has been mentioned.

Kind of silly for me to suggest other areas as it appears you have your heart set on SW Johnson County.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Live in either Lawrence or Platte County, MO. The traffic along I-70 is not bad at all compared to K-10 and I-435. Schools are well regarded in Lawrence, and it is a university town. Schools are good in Platte County also. In terms of RE appreciation Platte County should do better. JOCO has been overbuilt and has overpriced itself compared to other suburban metro counties.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:39 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,483 times
Depending upon where in Lawrence you're going, that K-10 commute can be no fun. Depending upon how many days per month your husband is going to use the airport, it may be wiser to live in Lawrence.

Appreciating real estate is going to be hit or miss. No guarantees there. Not many houses are appreciating these days.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:23 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
My vote's for Lenexa. A good bit nicer/cleaner-looking town than Olathe overall. Schools would probably not be too much of a deciding factor.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:38 PM

448 posts, read 1,459,129 times
How are the schools in Piper? (I'm asking the posters more familiar with the Kansas side.) I would think Piper would be about half way to both Lawrence and the airport, plus you wouldn't see much traffic on either commute.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:15 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
How about Tonganoxie? It's growing a lot....

Old 04-03-2010, 08:21 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,350 times
Piper and Tonganoxie are both Wyandot county districts. Both will have a much more rural feel to them than suburban Olathe district. Neither have as high a reputation as Olathe district. Although all area districts are feeling the state budget pinch.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:42 AM

448 posts, read 1,459,129 times
I do know some of Piper is rural, but doesn't Piper include all the new communities popping up around the race track and the Legends shopping district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City