Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:20 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,343 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I might be interested in relocating to Sharon Springs, as the house I was interested in Smith Center sold to someone else. I know Sharon Springs is near the Colorado border, but can anyone who lives there or drives through there tell me anything about the town? I am planning to fly into Colorado Springs, Colorado and rent a car to drive there next week. Is there a better way to get there without driving all the way? Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 05:37 AM

14 posts, read 96,416 times
I have grandchildren who have grown up near SS. A granddaughter worked at Penny's Diner during her highschool years. The diner is an eyeopener of an eatery for such a small community. The food was G-R-E-A-T. The town is in those high plains which transition the Rocky Mountains into the KS plains. Winters can bring much snow. Hwy 70 is often closed near Goodland which by the way is the nearest "bigger town". The place they went for Drs. and Wal-Mart Sharon has a rattlesnake hunt each year. They usually use the Denver airport, probably because of flight availability?? I was flying into CO Springs last year and they were routing me through Denver. By the way, I think SS is maybe a third the size of Smith Center.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:50 PM

Wow. Both to the town and the fact that you have great-grandchildren and are taking the time to help me find my way in Kansas. Thanks much.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Here is the demographic information from the census bureau for Wallace County. As you can see the county has a very low population and is decreasing fast. Employment opportunities may be limited in this area. People measure distance in western Kansas by hours because the larger towns are quite spread out. Good luck.
Wallace County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks again. Hopefully, I will see the town for myself by the end of the week. I looked at the statistics you provided. It is sad to see the population decling so rapidly. However, I live in a very congested area full of cement and millions of people, so I am really looking forward to living in a rural area where towns are spread out a little. I'll know more by the weekend.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 PM

72 posts, read 294,144 times
Not sure what you're looking for in a place like Sharon Springs, but here's what I can tell you:

I lived in Colorado Springs for three years, Hays KS for four years... have inlaws in western KS and have done a fair amount of travel in the area- back and fourth across western KS and easter CO... basically a blank spot on the map. I've driven through Sharon Springs several times, and the only time I actually stopped was for the Rattlesnake Roundup a couple years ago. Don't be fooled by the infamy of this event- it was a small and sparsely attended... basically a themed version of a local carnival... only smaller.

Got no personal business there and nothing against the town, but Sharon Springs is a long, long way from ANYWHERE. If complete and total isolation from the outside world is what you're looking for... then that's a great place to find it. But I tend to think that the population in the area is steadily declining for a reason- young people routinely leave because there's simply no opportunity there. Based on my small-town Kansas experience, jobs will be few, far between, and low-wage. But the upside is that housing will be shockingly cheap compared to anywhere else in the country. Can't say about Sharon Springs specifically, but I've seen liveable houses in these small western Kansas towns sell for $20k and less. Not nice houses... but liveable ones. Probably a result of the declining population in the entire region.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 PM

72 posts, read 294,144 times
Christine- what did you think of Sharon Springs?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:47 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,161,394 times
Doesn't that area (Sharon Springs) get wicked weather? I've driven thru it several times over the years on my way to CO. I don't remember much and I think there wasn't too much to the area itself.....

Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,793 times
Default Landing in Sharon Springs

Last Saturday, on September 8, 2007 at 4:33 PM, I landed with my glider next to route 40 north-west of Sharon Springs at a private airport identified on aeronautical maps as "BUSSEN". I came from Colorado on a cross-counrty flight, from a private airport called "Kelly", some miles east of the town of Elbert and north of Colorado Springs. It was a blessing to find an airport in close proximity when towards evening the thermal lift became weak and I was forced to land.

After landing, I pushed my glider towards some hangars and off the landing strip. I notified my chase crew so they could pick me up. Nobody seemed present at the airport. I reported my landing to the Sherrf's office. After a while, I noticed a parked car near a hangar and some noise coming from there. I investigated about that noice and found two very friendly brothers (Glenn and Ron?) working in the hangar. They became interested in the glider, and I showed them all of its features. I was so glad to see some friendly faces around your town. The two brotheres even helped during disassembly to store the glider in its trailer, which was brought to the airport by my chase crew. After a good bye, the chase crew and I left the airport and headed for Colorado.

While I had no chance to visit Sharon Springs, I received a very friendly welcome from the two brothers at the airport. It was so refreshing to meet some friendly faces at a place where I initially did not know what was awaiting me. Sharon Springs will remain in my memory as a friendly place in Kansas. Thanks for this friendliness! It is worth so much!

Hans Arnold

Old 03-03-2010, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,316 times
My grandparents lived in Sharon Springs, Ks around 1914 soon after they imigrated from Greece. I would like to find out more about where they lived? I have a few pictures only and my grandfathers "Green Card" showing he worked on the railroad. Is there a building in Sharon Springs that my have records going back to the early part of the 20th century in Sharon Springs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas