Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 AM

12 posts, read 62,468 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Kansas and not sure where yet.I have thought about Hays.I like rural better than city.I am a single father raising 2 boys.I work for Home Depot and can transfer anywhere there is one.If I found the best place for us I would consider a different job.I need to find a place with good daycare.I am completely alone so I need to find dependable daycare.Good schools,least crime,friendly atmosphere.Where people wave to one another.Low cost of living.Anything you could tell me would be great.The more the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 AM

17 posts, read 74,154 times
Thumbs up Come home to Kansas

Kansas is a great place to live and especially to raise children. The schools in Olathe are currently ranked among the best in Kansas. There are parts of Johnson County that you can find a more rural setting, although the entire county is really growing/expanding. There are some cities on the outskirts that sound ideal for you and your 2 boys- based on your explanation in your thread. Let me know if I can be of assistance as you get ready to make a move. I am a Realtor in the Greater Kansas City area and I am happy to answer any questions.
Have a great day!

Old 07-20-2007, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 23,099 times
Kansas is a great place to raise kids, especially if you are alone. Hays would be a great place since there is a Home Depot there. I am from Larned, about 50 miles away. If you applied with the State of Kansas, you might look into the Larned State Hospital. It is the best of two worlds, live in a great small town and make state wages. Larned is small and quaint and filled with good people. To this day, when I visit, as soon as I drive across the state line, people wave as they drive by. I plan to retire in my home town of Larned and I can't wait. An alternate would be to work at the Manhattan Home Depot. If that is an option, look at living in Clay Center. My second choice. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,915 times
Hi! Both my husband and I are originally from Kansas, but have lived in Arizona for more than 30 years. I repeatedly tell anyone who will listen that I would come back to Kansas "in a heart beat...if someone would give me a small farm." I plan to retire back to Kansas (we are in our latter 50's) and invite all my friend to come and share a small, cooperative farm with us. I miss the friendly Midwestern people, the sense of cooperativeness, money going a bit further, even the weather!!! We are both big gardeners and it is SO HOT here in Arizona. Hope this helps! KH

Old 07-26-2007, 01:28 AM

188 posts, read 933,539 times
You should be OK in Hays, the people are pretty decent there.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 53,448 times
I'm got my bachelor's degree from Fort Hays State, and tend to make trips back for various events and such, so I'll give a perspective of a former student who lived there for 4 years.

Hays is a pretty good community for the most part - the people are nice and the schools are good. There is actually a semblance of an arts and music scene, and there aren't many unfriendly people. There is a revitalized downtown area, with some cool restaurants and shops, a good library, and decent activities. Homes are good for the money, and it seems like the town takes care of itself - it's definitely growing larger and spreading out, especially in the last 3-5 years or so.

What you do have to deal with is the large college-kid scene that a college town, especially a college town in a small town, brings. From experience, I can tell you that there are some serious parties that go on nearly every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday night. If you live anywhere near campus, you'll see and hear lots of drunken chicanery all over the place - especially on 6th street. You'll hear it elsewhere around town, too. While it's fun for those partaking, I can imagine it being a big annoyance for a family. Plus, once kids in town hit 16 or so, they start to magnetize to the drinkfests. I mean, teenagers in Hays learn early - so be wary.

I don't want it to sound like it's Sodom or Gomorrah or anything, but there is definitely a scene there to be aware of before moving. It was a great place to go to college, but I don't know so much about raising a family there. It might be fine, though. Some people live in outlying areas like Victoria and Ellis, and commute, but in my opinion, that's just sort of a pain.

I can't think of anywhere else along I-70 that has a Home Depot, but if Salina does, it might be a good choice (I know it has a Lowe's, but it might have added a HD since I've last been there). My then-fiance-now-wife lived and worked in Salina while I finished school there, and we both loved it. It's bigger than Hays, and on the whole, nicer and better maintained. You don't have the college crowd, either. There's a great community theater, and plenty of shopping and so forth, plus it's closer to larger cities like Kansas City and Wichita.

I'm biased to KC since I'm from there, and live there - and there are plenty of threads on this board giving opinions of that, so check them out as well. Happy hunting!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:42 PM

116 posts, read 421,729 times
Lawrence has a home depot it is my favorite place to shop when I get up that way. I moved to Lawrence when just a kid and still have family living in the town. My husband and I live in a much small town now. It is a collage town the home of the Jayhawkers. Day care is good and it is easy to get references to the better ones, some have waiting lists. Children with special needs are able to get good care also. Kansas City and Topeka are just a short drive away. The roads are good. The Lawrence Memorial Hospital is one of the best; my husband and I have both been there and were very pleased with the care we received. My Doctor in KC sent me to get my cancer treatments at LMH because driving in KC made me too scared. The wind blows all the time, sometimes with more force than at other times. Most of the time it blows from the south. The sunsets and sunrises are the most.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 22,152 times
I agree with straw hat. Lawrence has it all for what you're looking for. It's 20 minutes east from the capitol (Topeka) and 30 minutes west from a major city (Kansas City). You get the best of both worlds, also has one of the nations best and largest colleges in KU. This area might be a little pricey renting/owning. If you don't like that, there are plenty of bedroom communities in that area (De soto, Eudora, Linwood, etc.) I believe you will feel very safe in this area with your children.

Goodlouck

Old 08-18-2007, 06:54 PM

83 posts, read 327,533 times
Kansas is awesome!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,633 times
I would agree that Salina is a great place to live and raise a family. It has a small town feel with some of the big city stores and conveniences. We are always on the lookout for good employees at Kansas Quick Lube so give us a call if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas