Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your firearms death rate is higher than KS by about 20%. So congratulations on the other two.

Your unemployment rate is 30% higher.
Unemployment Rates for States

All that "blue state" "red state" stuff is tired.
Interesting looking at the list. There is definitely a trend of liberal leaning states being at/toward the bottom, and conservative leaning states with the highest rates. DC obviously not following that trend lol!

I thought CO might have a higher rate than KS due to a larger urban population, but then that doesn't explain states like AK/WY/MT having higher rates. The list is definitely saying something... I just don't know what.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I know that the WI changes to laws concerning unions makes this proposal look like nothing....and even the recall failed.

Yet, this tiny little bill is somehow justification for people to never consider moving to KS? LMAO.
The largest percentage growth in population in Kansas has come from military personnel returning to the base at Ft. Riley and ancillary spillover growth into Manhattan. Johnson County, KS now lags in growth in percentage terms compared to other corporate suburban counties, but tends to grow at a more moderate rate. Higher real estate prices relative to the surrounding metro area counties might have something to do with that. The large decline in jobs during the past Great Recession in the Missouri counties also negatively impacted Johnson County to a degree. Wisconsin definitely has its share of problems in the political sphere, but is not nearly as far out on the fringes as Brownback and company. I don't disagree with some of his items of govt reform as it's obvious we need to find greater efficiencies with less govt dollars being allocated to the states. Brownback's modification to the state tax policy proposal is definitely going in the wrong direction because he is using the failed model that other states have gone down as well.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 03-25-2013 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Interesting looking at the list. There is definitely a trend of liberal leaning states being at/toward the bottom, and conservative leaning states with the highest rates. DC obviously not following that trend lol!

I thought CO might have a higher rate than KS due to a larger urban population, but then that doesn't explain states like AK/WY/MT having higher rates. The list is definitely saying something... I just don't know what.
AK, WY, and MT are both have much larger natural resource based economies so boom and bust cycles are common depending on the supply/demand structures of the market are for specific materials and minerals at any given point in time. Many of the other rural states have low unemployment rates because their labor force tends to be smaller. Another factor is the out-migration rate, particularly in the more rural counties of the state that are not located within an energy patch. Families and younger people will simply move to areas where jobs exist or cities and that tends to keep the unemployment rate lower. Also, the unemployment rate, or U-6 figure, only calculates non-farm employment. This might be a factor in the agrarian dependent rural counties.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:

Re: "states like AK/WY/MT having higher rates."

Higher unemployment rates? Wyoming is 5th lowest according to the link. Montana is 13th lowest. Alaska is 20th lowest. DC stands at 40th. (That's very surprising considering the recent growth in DC.)

While conservative states are, as a whole, doing better than liberal states, I don't attribute that to the low unemployment rate as much as to the energy extraction industries in those states, and that's coming from a conservative.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Re: "states like AK/WY/MT having higher rates."

Higher unemployment rates? Wyoming is 5th lowest according to the link. Montana is 13th lowest. Alaska is 20th lowest. DC stands at 40th. (That's very surprising considering the recent growth in DC.)

While conservative states are, as a whole, doing better than liberal states, I don't attribute that to the low unemployment rate as much as to the energy extraction industries in those states, and that's coming from a conservative.
It is true that many of the energy extractive states have lower UE rates... Many conservative states on the list that have higher UE rates are southern states and include: GA, MS, AL, KY SC, etc. This is more related to the overall lower level of educational attainment in these states as well as the offshore and loss of jobs in particular concentrated industries over the last decade.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I doubt you know anything about Wisconsin or have even visited the state at all. I live in Dane County (Madison) and our economy is the best of any small to medium sized metro in the Midwest. Dane County has the highest percentage growth of new jobs of just about any area outside the larger metros. Technology, engineering, healthcare, research, and university related growth are all factors behind the booming economy here as well as younger people staying around. Kansas does not offer anything remotely close to the Madison area overall. And I have zero desire to live in Johnson County, KS again either.
I have visited Madison. I thought it was delightful!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Kansas will have lot's of other folks move in if all the liberals leave.
Why would anybody want to move to Kansas now?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I hope it passes. I can be fired "at will", doesn't bother me a bit if they can too.
Do you work for the state? Do you understand why we have (had) the civil service system?

It was not to protect the employees. It was to protect the taxpayers.

It established that state personnel be hired based on their qualifications and expertise - not on their political connections. In turn, it established that the people charged with administering our government would not be beholden to or unduly influenced by a particular party while on the job.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
What world do you live in Kansas or K-star? Govt employees make more money than private party equivalents, they also get heinous benefits, vacation and holidays.
No, they do not. I have considered applying for state jobs before and decided not to when I saw the pay scale. No, thank you. They are in thankless jobs (come on, who likes the gubment?), they don't get paid much, and now they are vulnerable to getting fired just because they voted for the other guy.

Who do the mysterious sponsors of this bill think are going to replace all these employees they are planning on firing? Everyone with a marketable job skill will be fleeing this state!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 AM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I was joking on the "blue state" stuff And I really don't care about the gun issue. I never have and never will own one. Although I don't find the recent gun regulation passed in CO to be extreme. Polling shows overwhelming support in CO for the laws. If our gun death rate is higher than KS, that would indicate to me that we need to look into the reason for it and make some changes. The only comparison I've done is KCMO to Denver (the actual cities, not metro areas) and KCMO has a much higher murder rate than Denver.
I don't disagree with any of that.

You know I support gay rights so I wasn't being snarky when I said congrats on that issue.

It just seems like KS is a convenient target for it's political bent and all that "red state" vs. "blue state" stuff.

I find it especially interesting because being from IL and Chicago I know they are proposing a lot more drastic stuff aimed at public unions and pensions etc etc. and it doesn't get the press nor consternation since it isn't so partisan-sexy. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas