Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 PM

360 posts, read 812,058 times

Advertisements

According to this story, the unemployment rate in Hays/Ellis County is at 2.7%. What is the reason for this and are there numerous jobs in the area?

Ellis County unemployment rate at 2.7 percent, state unchanged | Hays Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
I've never been there and don't know much about Hays at all, but I think there's a sort of social segregation and I think that's basically why. I almost suspect that those in power out that way have done things to keep it that way. Hays is very different from the other larger small towns in western Kansas. Overall, I think a lot of college towns are kind of like Hays in terms of segregation. Now you've got me wondering what the unemployment rate in Manhattan and Lawrence are.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I've never been there and don't know much about Hays at all, but I think there's a sort of social segregation and I think that's basically why. I almost suspect that those in power out that way have done things to keep it that way. Hays is very different from the other larger small towns in western Kansas. Overall, I think a lot of college towns are kind of like Hays in terms of segregation. Now you've got me wondering what the unemployment rate in Manhattan and Lawrence are.

http://www.hayspost.com/wp-content/u...9.56.42-AM.png

Old 04-19-2014, 12:26 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Oh wow, so it's just a typical rural county trend. How do you explain that? Is it just that there aren't enough working people there in general, let alone enough people sticking around who are out of work? I seem to recall some discussion on this forum fairly recently about small town gas stations or something hurting for employees and offering relatively decent wages because of that, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised now. It was some poster talking about moving to rural KS to live cheaply or something.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:44 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Oh wow, so it's just a typical rural county trend. How do you explain that? Is it just that there aren't enough working people there in general, let alone enough people sticking around who are out of work? I seem to recall some discussion on this forum fairly recently about small town gas stations or something hurting for employees and offering relatively decent wages because of that, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised now. It was some poster talking about moving to rural KS to live cheaply or something.
Yes, your summation is mostly correct. For better or worse, most of the frontier counties with fewer than seven people per square mile can't retain their populations as most working age people, college graduates, and families leave for larger cities that have more opportunities and a more diverse array of job opportunities that exist for more specialized career fields. The trend has slightly reversed for a few of those counties with very low UE numbers, but that had mainly been a slight rise in O&G market/jobs on a smaller scale.
I am familiar with Hays since I've lived out there in the past. The university, FHSU, appears to be in growth mode- yet retains the lowest tuition rates of any four year institution in the state. There has been a growth in the healthcare and hospitals there as that is a growth area. Some growth in the energy sector employment has occurred. The majority of all other jobs are very low paying- hence the low UE. The workforce and population is quite mobile there and will leave for better job opportunities and pay elsewhere. This does not even touch on other issues that the region have and continue to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas