Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't use graphs or tables. I use empty houses and empty businesses to do my analysis.
Anecdotes ftl.*

*ask someone in your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You honestly think this don't you? I tell it like it is. The KS economy is just not good, the state has ONE county that anybody even cares about and it's totally subsidized by the rest of the state. Few want to move there, companies from outside the KC area won't even give the place a second thought no matter how many incentives the state offers. Most of the cities and towns there outside of Johnson County and the two college towns are a mess. Urban areas like Wichita, Topeka and KCK are all some of the worst cities compared to their peers in other states. Small towns from Pittsburg to Dodge City have high crime, high poverty and little to look forward to. The state has one of the worst governors ever which has made the state a national laughing stock. High taxes with almost nothing to show for it (little recreation or public park land, no transit, terribly decaying urban and rural areas). The one thing the state likes to brag about (JoCo public schools) are have been going through some deep funding cuts which will eventually effect the schools rankings. The other thing (JoCo being the job engine of the state) is not looking too great lately.

But they have somewhat low unemployment rate!

There is nothing wrong with this post either. If I were to post a similar thread in Maryland or Virginia, it would not be deleted. The post would not be reported to the mods and if it were, they wouldn't care because I'm not saying anything that would warrant infractions or deletions of threads.

Face it. You don't like my posts because you don't want to hear this stuff. I get that. But it doesn't mean I'm a troll posting nonsense just because you and a few die hard Kansans don't want to read it.

Nothing has changed since I left KC. Kansas is still a thorn in the side of KCMO freeloading, poaching and taking advantage to KCMO, while having zero interest in doing anything that benefits the region as a whole.
THe "deep funding cuts" of the JOCO school system resulted in last years issuance of Macbooks etc. to ALL highschool (and lower grade) students.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
You honestly think this don't you? I tell it like it is.
Doesn't matter what I or others think. You control this forum and to buck you further could get me infracted or banned.

Of course you can't possibly be biased.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:56 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
THe "deep funding cuts" of the JOCO school system resulted in last years issuance of Macbooks etc. to ALL highschool (and lower grade) students.

We live about 3 blocks from the elementary school which is rated 3 stars out of 10. Emporia State is about 3 blocks in another direction from that school. The problem isn't funding, it is the type of students the school has as children that don't speak English generally don't do that well in school thus the attention to that and leaving other children behind.

A drive through an industrial park of any of the cities outside the metro area will paint a picture of Kansas Job Losses. Every new business is retail or fast food. At some point, people need a paycheck to actually shop. I have seen the retail close after a short time also.

The answer: My candidate for POTUS: Trump 2016

I don't think anyone can deny that job loss across the US is leading to very serious consequences across the board.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:01 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
We live about 3 blocks from the elementary school which is rated 3 stars out of 10. Emporia State is about 3 blocks in another direction from that school. The problem isn't funding, it is the type of students the school has as children that don't speak English generally don't do that well in school thus the attention to that and leaving other children behind.

A drive through an industrial park of any of the cities outside the metro area will paint a picture of Kansas Job Losses. Every new business is retail or fast food. At some point, people need a paycheck to actually shop. I have seen the retail close after a short time also.

The answer: My candidate for POTUS: Trump 2016

I don't think anyone can deny that job loss across the US is leading to very serious consequences across the board.
Contrary to what many would have thought since the tech revolution, greater numbers of new jobs created in absolute percentage terms are in metropolitan areas across the board. New job growth will not happen to any significant degree in smaller towns and rural areas anymore, particularly those that are far from metro areas. Neither political party nor a different president will change that reality. I don't like it either. I would much prefer to live in a smaller city but the jobs are not there.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
I don't understand the talk of "infractions" or thread deletion that has been thrown around here by one member.
Compared to the nasty & personally insulting stuff I've seen & that has been thrown at me in threads in other various state & topic forums away from the Kansas forum, this has basically been a mild conversation akin to a church social. There's no need for anyone to change that or to feel threatened here..

Old 09-23-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
You honestly think this don't you? I tell it like it is. The KS economy is just not good, the state has ONE county that anybody even cares about and it's totally subsidized by the rest of the state. Few want to move there, companies from outside the KC area won't even give the place a second thought no matter how many incentives the state offers. Most of the cities and towns there outside of Johnson County and the two college towns are a mess. Urban areas like Wichita, Topeka and KCK are all some of the worst cities compared to their peers in other states. Small towns from Pittsburg to Dodge City have high crime, high poverty and little to look forward to. The state has one of the worst governors ever which has made the state a national laughing stock. High taxes with almost nothing to show for it (little recreation or public park land, no transit, terribly decaying urban and rural areas). The one thing the state likes to brag about (JoCo public schools) are have been going through some deep funding cuts which will eventually effect the schools rankings. The other thing (JoCo being the job engine of the state) is not looking too great lately.

But they have somewhat low unemployment rate!

There is nothing wrong with this post either. If I were to post a similar thread in Maryland or Virginia, it would not be deleted. The post would not be reported to the mods and if it were, they wouldn't care because I'm not saying anything that would warrant infractions or deletions of threads.

Face it. You don't like my posts because you don't want to hear this stuff. I get that. But it doesn't mean I'm a troll posting nonsense just because you and a few die hard Kansans don't want to read it.

Nothing has changed since I left KC. Kansas is still a thorn in the side of KCMO freeloading, poaching and taking advantage to KCMO, while having zero interest in doing anything that benefits the region as a whole.
To summarize your post:

Rant rant rant about Kansas.
State that you are just telling the truth
Conclude with more ranting about Kansas.

And all that as some sort of rebuttal to commentary about biased attack threads?

Wow, that's just epic. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Well, there are at least 55,000 illegal immigrants working in the state so do the math. They are not just going agricultural work either but replacing citizens in construction/building trades, factories, etc. They also suppress wages and benefits here. Not to mention bleed the educational system due to "English as a Second Language", cost the state a bundle in welfare benefits. Yes, I am "Stumping for the Trump".

Unless someone is living among them, don't bother disputing the fact of what they do to a city and state that chooses to ignore the immigration laws over a long period of time.

"Under the table doesn't pay taxes".
I'm sure Colorado has more "illegal immigrants" than Kansas... and our economy is doing quite well. In fact, building new homes is slower than the current demand because they can't find enough workers. Ever since the recession, many illegal immigrants returned to Mexico and never came back. So why aren't the legal citizens stepping up and taking the home building jobs in Colorado?

Old 09-30-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm sure Colorado has more "illegal immigrants" than Kansas... and our economy is doing quite well. In fact, building new homes is slower than the current demand because they can't find enough workers. Ever since the recession, many illegal immigrants returned to Mexico and never came back. So why aren't the legal citizens stepping up and taking the home building jobs in Colorado?
State poverty declined in 2014 but wages remained stagnant | Colorado Center on Law & Policy

You might be doing fine, I might be doing fine but for less educated workers it's a real issue.

The issue isn't so much ARE there jobs but rather do they pay anywhere near a reasonable wage?

Old 09-30-2015, 12:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
State poverty declined in 2014 but wages remained stagnant | Colorado Center on Law & Policy

You might be doing fine, I might be doing fine but for less educated workers it's a real issue.

The issue isn't so much ARE there jobs but rather do they pay anywhere near a reasonable wage?
Well, of course they don't anymore! Wages have been suppressed over decades for the lower to middle classes. I'm sure if they offered $25 an hour for lower-skilled home building jobs, there would be takers. But then the cost of the houses would rise. Or maybe home-building does take more skill and there just aren't enough workers with those skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas