Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2006, 10:39 PM

14 posts, read 130,067 times

Advertisements

Hi!!!
I am considering relocating to either Wichita or Salina (for the universities for both cities) and I am very familiar with Wichita but would like some honest feedback on Salina. Please facts, not feelings.
Background information on me:
I am currently living in Phoenix, AZ and I am a single mother to a multiple-handicapped 3 year old. I have been in Phoenix for ten years but I grew up in Southwestern Kansas. I am almost ashamed to admit where I grew up considering how bad the town declined in ten years. I grew up in Dodge City KS. So, I am very familiar with the midwestern, conservative mentality. I am tired of Phoenix. I can't deal with two seasons anymore: hot and hotter. Since my daughter has many handicaps, I do not want to live in a state such as Arizona which offers very FEW services for the disabled. At least in the midwest, the schools are much better. That I do know!! (When I went to the University out here.. I was learning stuff I learned in my freshman year.. go figure!!)
So any honest opinions about Salina is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 11:49 AM

218 posts, read 1,486,739 times
Attended WSU's education college in the early 80's. Their college of education was wonderful! Also attended KU's education college, in Lawrence. Considering special needs, you'll be better off just about anywhere in Kansas than in Arizona. I am involved in the special needs of a public high school in az, and the district is lightyears behind what I knew in Kansas - in my opinion, anyway, for what it's worth. I hope you get a chance to look into the specific schools your children might be going to, as you close-in on the actual neighborhoods you consider to make your home in. Best wishes. Educationally, you are doing your special needs children a great favor. I hope the social services there are beneficial to your children's future there as well.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
When considering a child with medical needs you have described i would choose Wichita in a heartbeat. Salina is a great little town but i don't think they can offer the medical services you might need. I would overall consider Salina to be the best place to raise a child. More of a home town type place.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:10 PM

14 posts, read 130,067 times
Thank you both for your input!!
I truly HATE Arizona being a parent. If I was still just a single person on my own,... that's one thing but being I have a daughter.. she needs much more than this hellhole of a state will do for her. I fight CONSTANTLY for her. I am in court at least twice a year battling the school system and the state.
How about the suburbs of Wichita?

Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
I am confident that you can find a suburb to your liking. There is gang activity in Wichita. Do your homework before moving.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,989 times
Default TO: Singlemom w/special needs (Kansas - Salina)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlemom2specialneeds View Post
Hi!!!
I am considering relocating to either Wichita or Salina (for the universities for both cities) and I am very familiar with Wichita but would like some honest feedback on Salina. Please facts, not feelings.
Background information on me:
I am currently living in Phoenix, AZ and I am a single mother to a multiple-handicapped 3 year old. I have been in Phoenix for ten years but I grew up in Southwestern Kansas. I am almost ashamed to admit where I grew up considering how bad the town declined in ten years. I grew up in Dodge City KS. So, I am very familiar with the midwestern, conservative mentality. I am tired of Phoenix. I can't deal with two seasons anymore: hot and hotter. Since my daughter has many handicaps, I do not want to live in a state such as Arizona which offers very FEW services for the disabled. At least in the midwest, the schools are much better. That I do know!! (When I went to the University out here.. I was learning stuff I learned in my freshman year.. go figure!!)
So any honest opinions about Salina is greatly appreciated!!

Hello to Single Mom:

Ref. your concerns for "special needs child": I've lived in 'most' of the western US. I am a "native son" of Kansas. Native American and have many "roots" here. This is only an opinion - for whatever it's worth.
FIRST - just about any place is WHAT YOU MAKE IT! So, with that said, Salina, Kansas has many assets and more coming on all the time. A new Hospital, a Cancer Center, an outpatient surgery center and literally many other medical services being offered everyday. SO - there is HOPE for this place. Reason - ANY DIRECTION from Wichita - Kansas City, Kansas - Denver, Colorado - Lincoln, Nebraska - SALINA is developing very fast. When I moved back here in 1990 - only 48,000 people were here (County wide). NOW in 2007 - about 67,500 are here now. That is a pretty healthy increase. In 1990 - only about 65 restrurants were here; now, in 2007 there are nearly 90 restrurants. LOT of new industry is moving into Salina everyday. Housing starts are UP; Construction is UP; new roads and new overpass is almost ready for use - (to open very soon). So, give Salina, Kansas a serious "look". And thank you for your time. Respectfully yours,
frmrbrn04@yahoo.com or
removed

Last edited by Marka; 01-16-2007 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-14-2007, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,989 times
NOTICE TO ANYONE contemplating a move to ANYPLACE (Kansas or other): There are many sources for information: good - bad - ugly! Please, do your homework - before making a move. Contact various folks: Chamber of Commerce, a local bank, a College, and or/friend. A POUND OF INFORMATION is worth more than the CURE!
ALL areas of the country - have their problems. Some MORE; some less! In making your final decision - make sure you can live with your situation. AFTER ALL - IT COMES DOWN TO MONEY! IF you make a bad decision - do you have enough reserves left to make a SECOND MOVE - if necessary? I am a professional mover - and have much experience in a wide area of Salina, Kansas. I also own a small trucking business. IF need some information, I will do my best to inform you of whatever I can. Otherwise, I will tell you WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE and let you make the final choice of where to live and under what circumstances you face.
CITY life: if you love living next to a MALL - or you chose to deal with short drives, convenience and etc - this maybe a good choice.
SURBURAN Life: moves you out of the major crimes and into a less conjected traffic and a quieter lifestyle.
COUNTRY LIFE: longer drives, more laid back, off main roads (an sometimes on dirt roads - that are snowed in from time to time or MUD when heavy rains fall). ADVANTAGE: quiet - very little crime - and much nicer place to raise children and have animals.
DISADVANTAGES: longer drive to communt to work or shopping. Bad weather may close roads for a short period of time. From time-to-time, utilities are down to power failures (there are very few times - but, do happen).
ALL-in-ALL, I wouldn't trade my farm lifestyle for anything. Been there - done that! Thank you. Mr. FarmerBrown

Last edited by frmrbrn04; 01-14-2007 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: to correct a mistake

Old 01-18-2007, 04:27 AM

188 posts, read 933,484 times
Salina has some resources for special needs, a former co-worker was taking her grandson there for therapy from their home in Herington. Wichita probably has more to offer, though. More available in terms of university in Wichita, too. I share with you the experience of having moved to Phoenix
(1972-74) and returned to Wichita afterward. Raising kids alone there was pretty tough, and I came back home and haven't regretted it.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 11,177 times
as a mother of 4 mentally disabled children(3 have adhd and 1 with autism)I
would not recommend anywhere to live in the state of Kansas!!! It is expensive,there is little to no resources for disabled children and there is nothing for any of the kids to do in general.It took 4 hospital placements and 8 years to correctly diagnose him,not to mention the running in circles with many doctors. We are moving to Missouri where it is a much better enviroment to raise kids.The east coast is more up on childrens needs,especially Massachuesettes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas