Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 06:34 PM

36 posts, read 69,345 times

Advertisements

Does such a thing exist? We currently farm on 40 acres in Maine, but my husband is from Kansas and we lived out there for several years before relocating back to New England to be closer to my family. Thinking in the next few years we might make our way back to the Midwest. I like the idea of being in a gated community; he isn’t going to settle for anything less than 10-20 acres that we can continue to raise some livestock on. Budget around $525k probably. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 07:13 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,536,435 times
I see you posted this same question in the Missouri forum. True gated communities are not common around here. You might be able to find an acreage subdivision in the outlying suburb of the larger cities, but they will probably be 5 to 10 acre lots max, and you probably won’t be able to raise livestock. That’s not to say you can’t find 10-20 acres to buy, but it won’t be in a platted subdivision and if you want a gate, buy one for the end of your driveway at Orscheln.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:19 AM

36 posts, read 69,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I see you posted this same question in the Missouri forum. True gated communities are not common around here. You might be able to find an acreage subdivision in the outlying suburb of the larger cities, but they will probably be 5 to 10 acre lots max, and you probably won’t be able to raise livestock. That’s not to say you can’t find 10-20 acres to buy, but it won’t be in a platted subdivision and if you want a gate, buy one for the end of your driveway at Orscheln.
Thank you, I appreciate the response.

Old 04-19-2023, 05:10 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Agree. I haven't heard of anything like that or seen something like that advertised. OP needs to be aware of many areas in KS suffering from drought, as growing feed and supplying water for livestock can be an issue.

https://www.landwatch.com/kansas-land-for-sale Land in KS "used to be" less expensive, but prices have skyrocketed in the last 2 or 3 years, but that will be everywhere, especially as people flee the larger cities. I have seen real estate prices triple lately.

Since you are buying soon, maybe prices will drop everywhere, or maybe they'll be even higher.

I suggest you concentrate on the availability of water, and make sure you check with local authorities, and don't take the realtors word for anything!!!

Old 04-25-2023, 01:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Whoa partner.... Consider Kansas costs for retirees!

Then...First define your livestock objectives, then space required in different climates (it will require a LOT of acreage in Kansas vs MO or AR. But your dear husband knows all that and probably has a plan.possibly near KC you might find gated community, but probably only 5 acres. A few yrs ago I was looking out near Esbon and found an entire school k-8 for under $80k. Gymnasium with wood floors, tornado shelter for 100, genset, commercial kitchen... Bus garage. Nice set-up. Bring your friends and start a retirement community.

Several Colorado retiree friends have taken their increased home valuations and moved to Nebraska or Kansas. But... Housing is the only thing cheap.

Old 04-25-2023, 02:40 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Whoa partner.... Consider Kansas costs for retirees!

Then...First define your livestock objectives, then space required in different climates (it will require a LOT of acreage in Kansas vs MO or AR. But your dear husband knows all that and probably has a plan.possibly near KC you might find gated community, but probably only 5 acres. A few yrs ago I was looking out near Esbon and found an entire school k-8 for under $80k. Gymnasium with wood floors, tornado shelter for 100, genset, commercial kitchen... Bus garage. Nice set-up. Bring your friends and start a retirement community.

Several Colorado retiree friends have taken their increased home valuations and moved to Nebraska or Kansas. But... Housing is the only thing cheap.
Yes, Nebraska and Kansas are high tax states, they have little tax base at all outside the larger cities. Housing is cheap for a reason, no demand- as farm and ranch consolidation has accelerated the population declines in every single rural county. A big problem is the increased prevalence of extreme and exceptional drought for longer periods of time due to warmer average temperatures. The water availability is a big problem along with the Ogallala Aquifer. The days of water mining to grow corn for feedlots for cattle is rapidly coming to an end.

Old 04-25-2023, 05:24 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, Nebraska and Kansas are high tax states, they have little tax base at all outside the larger cities. Housing is cheap for a reason, no demand- as farm and ranch consolidation has accelerated the population declines in every single rural county. A big problem is the increased prevalence of extreme and exceptional drought for longer periods of time due to warmer average temperatures. The water availability is a big problem along with the Ogallala Aquifer. The days of water mining to grow corn for feedlots for cattle is rapidly coming to an end.
It would be extremely useful to the discussion if you would source what you mean by "high tax states".

For example:

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/30/11669...property-sales

There can certainly be lots of factors like where you sit in terms of income etc. as to how it impact you, I just think that we owe some degree of transparency to people looking to make a major life decision.

If you have 30k a year or 3mil a year in income state taxation can vary wildly.

Let's set aside any hate or love we may have for a specific state and let people choose what may work for them (or not).

Old 04-26-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It would be extremely useful to the discussion if you would source what you mean by "high tax states".

For example:

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/30/11669...property-sales

There can certainly be lots of factors like where you sit in terms of income etc. as to how it impact you, I just think that we owe some degree of transparency to people looking to make a major life decision.

If you have 30k a year or 3mil a year in income state taxation can vary wildly.

Let's set aside any hate or love we may have for a specific state and let people choose what may work for them (or not).
OK, I'll play:

https://www.wibw.com/2022/03/29/kans...densome-taxes/

"TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Kansas has ranked among the top half of states with the most burdensome taxes."

"According to the report, Kansas ranked 14th with a 9.34% total tax burden, a 3.11% property tax burden, a 2.43% individual income tax burden and a 3.80% total sales and excise tax burden."

https://smartasset.com/retirement/ka...tirement-taxes

"Kansas exempts all Social Security income for seniors with an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $75,000 or less. Public pension income is also exempt, but other forms of retirement income are not. Property taxes in Kansas are above the national average and sales taxes are some of the highest in the country. Kansas does not have an estate or inheritance tax."

Also worth mentioning is that in rural areas of KS, most have limited or no medical services. In addition, outside the metro areas, roads are in very bad shape, which is a change over the last 2 or 3 decades.

When it comes to livability of KS, facts bite!

Old 04-26-2023, 08:13 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
OK, I'll play:

https://www.wibw.com/2022/03/29/kans...densome-taxes/

"TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Kansas has ranked among the top half of states with the most burdensome taxes."

"According to the report, Kansas ranked 14th with a 9.34% total tax burden, a 3.11% property tax burden, a 2.43% individual income tax burden and a 3.80% total sales and excise tax burden."

https://smartasset.com/retirement/ka...tirement-taxes

"Kansas exempts all Social Security income for seniors with an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $75,000 or less. Public pension income is also exempt, but other forms of retirement income are not. Property taxes in Kansas are above the national average and sales taxes are some of the highest in the country. Kansas does not have an estate or inheritance tax."

Also worth mentioning is that in rural areas of KS, most have limited or no medical services. In addition, outside the metro areas, roads are in very bad shape, which is a change over the last 2 or 3 decades.

When it comes to livability of KS, facts bite!
I mentioned that where you sit in terms of income can determine what is a "high tax state".

It's a pretty obvious, non-partisan statement of fact.

Sorry to have engaged your hatred of the state so much with that. All the best.

Did you move out of the state? I did for non-financial reasons so why didn't you?

P.S. OP you may note *something* off in this forum as it's frankly dominated by people that hate Kanasas which is kinda funny. It may be great or suck for you, like any place it may just not meet your needs. However, it worked very well for me at that time of my life. There is no magical solution here it really does depend on your wants, needs, income, goals, geography etc. I mean I recently moved out of the state but that's just my own personal situation. I find it frankly insane for people to issue carte blanche condemnations of areas given the complex issues of any area. All the best with your decision.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-26-2023 at 08:22 PM..

Old 04-27-2023, 05:55 PM

To know Kansas is pretty much to have a strong distaste for it. My husband is from Kansas, and he has decided to stay here and sit around and watch the grass grow until he dies, and I am finishing up "details" in order to leave the state, as I am not into watching the grass grow and sitting around waiting to die. It is generally cloudy, but without rain. Wind gusts reach 40 miles per hour, winter and summer. We had below freezing temps last week. If one is coming from the north, KS uses the sun plow on side streets, yeah, it has to melt and dry.

As they say, "It is what it is."

Also, income wise, if you aren't in the bigger cities or working for the government, in KS, you'll just get by, if that. The poverty rate is relatively high. SW KS is totally meat industry with refugees and illegals working there, not a place to go at all, and I expect as more pour in, KS will further be challenged economically. NW KS, deserted for the most part, but there are "ranches" of a sort out that way. Land prices have skyrocketed though.

The availability of water is MAJOR off the beaten path, and in SW KS. Never trust the word of a realtor.

I was talking to someone with cattle yesterday, and she said due to almost a total lack of rain, the pasture had nothing growing. It is expensive to bring in feed and even water. Kansas really isn't "farm" country. A lot of the big parcels are getting subsidies for not growing crops, but crops wouldn't grow in that area anyway.

It is not the land of lush gardens and beautiful trees. Coming from MI, I couldn't believe the skimpy trees. Even funnier was man made lakes, in MI, God made ours.

It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas