Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:23 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times

Advertisements

For determining where to live, it is good to look at the services available locally. Is there a grocery store, school, and local healthcare (a hospital)? In addition, are there restaurants? Many small towns cannot keep a restaurant going and it is also very difficult to keep a local grocery store. Most will say they want and will support locally, but if the small town is in proximity of a larger town with a Walmart and other restaurants, the locals will go there on weekends. They will travel 50 miles or more to shop. In western KS, they may go to Denver on weekends. As the rural Kansas population continues to decline, the local services dry up as well. The real estate is very reasonable because there is no demand. Other items to check: Internet service and television. If you are not within range of a larger city, you won't pick up much on t.v. unless you are willing to purchase a dish, or go through an on-line option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 09:31 PM

448 posts, read 592,319 times
thanks for replies everyone. Im from a town of 10,000 people in rural New Mexico so Im use to small town life with minimal restaurants and things to do but I sure do miss that quiet simple way of life with less people and no traffic.

Is there a town in SE Kansas that has a bad reputation for crime or just a bad rep? Which towns are considered the better towns? looking at Caney,Coffeyville, Independence and Parsons and which ever other town yall think I should know about.

What do most people do for a living in these towns?

Old 04-27-2018, 02:43 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
thanks for replies everyone. Im from a town of 10,000 people in rural New Mexico so Im use to small town life with minimal restaurants and things to do but I sure do miss that quiet simple way of life with less people and no traffic.

Is there a town in SE Kansas that has a bad reputation for crime or just a bad rep? Which towns are considered the better towns? looking at Caney,Coffeyville, Independence and Parsons and which ever other town yall think I should know about.

What do most people do for a living in these towns?
Every town seems to be hanging on to at least one fairly large industrial employer that pays well for the area. Other than that its the basic; schools ,hospitals, city, county and state jobs. From my experience driving around in rural New Mexico the big difference you will have in that part of Kansas is you will be close to bigger cities like; Tulsa, Bartlesvile, Topeka and Wichita are also only two hours away and people take these trips weekly .Most kids get cars(trucks) as soon as they can drive. If I got a good paying job in; Caney ,Coffeyville , or Indy I would do like many and drive in from Bartlesville especially if I was going to buy a house to sell later.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:39 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Bartlesville or Pittsburg, the only two areas with slight gains in jobs and population in the small city/town/rural areas of SE Kansas and NE Oklahoma.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:55 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Does Independence have a bad reputation in SE Kansas? what about other towns like Coffeyville, Caney, Parsons and others? For some reason small town kansas seems appealing. That sucks about the decline in population in Coffeyville.

How are tornados in the area?
All of SE KS has a bad reputation. It is like living in Appalachia.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:36 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Does Independence have a bad reputation in SE Kansas? what about other towns like Coffeyville, Caney, Parsons and others? For some reason small town kansas seems appealing. That sucks about the decline in population in Coffeyville.

How are tornados in the area?
I went through there last summer and will again this summer. I thought Independence was nice. Quiet town. Coffeyville is bigger and seemed to have some bad areas. I went throughout Kansas last summer for the first time and most small towns I encountered were very clean and nice.

As far as tornadoes go. When you ask locals if tornadoes concern them they say no. The chances of having a tornado personally effect you is quite small. But it is tornado alley. So anything is possible.

The housing prices are amazingly low throughout that region. If you can make a living without having to rely on the local economy it can be a great place to live.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Thanks again everyone. I hear alot about crime but looking at the crime rates on city data ,the SE KS cities dont look that bad, but I guess when comparing them to the average small town they are in bad shape. It is a concern though.

My other big concern is the job opportunities. I would be looking for a job in the area so Im looking into what is there. Caney seems like a good town but this is a hard decision. I might go in a few weeks to get a view for myself.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:50 PM

Oh and what about utilities, car insurance, home insurance and property taxes? Can anyone please give me an idea on what i can expect to pay?

Old 07-22-2018, 05:24 PM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
This town just came up on my radar as a possible retirement location. You can look on Realtor.com for house prices/RE tax/insurance estimates. Seems like nice small town with really good housing prices, a downtown with some businesses.....a decent coffee place, a nice park/zoo with a water park and pool, a hospital, a Walmart (for those who need it!)...etc. I am afraid of tornadoes, but will have to deal with that! Nice older houses with character, which is something I look for. Seems like it has added population lately? That would seem to be a good sign. Maybe others are in similar situations as I am and moving there. I obviously don't live there, so locals have a better idea of the situation on the ground than I and I look forward to seeing more comments.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:33 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
This town just came up on my radar as a possible retirement location. You can look on Realtor.com for house prices/RE tax/insurance estimates. Seems like nice small town with really good housing prices, a downtown with some businesses.....a decent coffee place, a nice park/zoo with a water park and pool, a hospital, a Walmart (for those who need it!)...etc. I am afraid of tornadoes, but will have to deal with that! Nice older houses with character, which is something I look for. Seems like it has added population lately? That would seem to be a good sign. Maybe others are in similar situations as I am and moving there. I obviously don't live there, so locals have a better idea of the situation on the ground than I and I look forward to seeing more comments.
It is shrinking fast in population with a low median household income, that is why the median home values are what you are seeing presently, although it isn't at the level of Coffeyville. A large flood caused many problems there a few years ago.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...s,US/PST045217

The only growing area within this large region would be further east in Springfield, MO region. Home values aren't that much higher, but far more amenities with plenty of smaller towns within easy driving distance.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-23-2018 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas