Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 798 times

Advertisements

i don't know if people outside the kansas bubble realize this, but brownback has supported a sensible immigration policy. kansas isn't an everirify state and i would like that to be recognized. even though we had complete control over the policy in the past couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM

374 posts, read 563,146 times
I'm not aware of anything Brownback's ever done sensibly (I was a student when he was elected KSU student body president; his senseless attacks on the welfare of others to save a dime was evident then).

As for voting in KANSAS, I've posted this as an example of how Kansans are presumed to vote Republican from cradle to grave:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post

My poling place is the lobby of Via Christi Village (nursing home). One year, I was a few spots in line behind the Bill Snyder Family Voting Bloc. Bill accompanied his daughter to instruct her how to vote. Not kidding, he stood with her at her polling computer & showed her how to vote. NO ONE SAID DIDDLY, but a few did snap pics (no selfies, AFAIK).

In 2004, I was waiting to vote when a health care aide wheeled a man best described as "not there" into the lobby.

Aide: Would you like to vote for President, Mr. X?

Mr. X: silence

Aide: Would you like to vote for President Bush, Mr. X?

Aide: Would you like to vote for President Bush, Mr. X?

The Aide got progressively louder as that's how you communicate in nursing home. I lost track of how many more times the Aide repeated her wish for the man to vote for her president. She never mentioned any other (Democratic, perhaps?) candidate. Although no more congnizant than before, he was still in line to vote when I left. I had no doubts as to whom he/Aide voted for.

I went straight home & called the Riley County Clerk, Rich Vargo. He assured me this was unacceptable, that all polling places had been instructed properly & that he would check into it.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:57 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
My dad was an advisor for Brownback in the 1990's. Brownback has always been socially conservative, but economically he was fairly moderate, and that didn't really change until about the time he ran for president. We all saw how he ran the state. I didn't vote for him as he doesn't line up with my political views, but political perspective has nothing to do with leadership ability. Thats the problem with voting on party and idealogical lines. Kansas had and still has some, really good moderate Republican leaders. We saw them, very publicly, come to their senses and push back against Brownback. If they hadn't done that, the state would likely be another billion dollars in debt by now.

I'm a moderate Republican and will honestly say I am on the fence on many immigration issues. E-verify isn't worth a political battle, but if they can pass it, then thats fine. But as a business owner, I can't easily see its limitations, and I'd even go as far as saying its mostly worthless as its nearly unenforceable. One of my competitors was shut down last year for using illegal immigrants and illegal labor (not paying taxes). The fine for doing so is about $50K per illegal employee. Thats a lot of incentive to not use illegal labor... Rather then create more laws, we need to fund the existing government organizations more, so they can hire more agents to go after law breakers. The irony is that many conservative Republicans want to decrease taxes and decrease government spending and these departments often become targets. As the old saying goes, we can't have our cake and eat it too. If we create these new laws and don't fund the departments to enforce those laws, then the law is pointless.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
I'm not aware of anything Brownback's ever done sensibly (I was a student when he was elected KSU student body president; his senseless attacks on the welfare of others to save a dime was evident then).

As for voting in KANSAS, I've posted this as an example of how Kansans are presumed to vote Republican from cradle to grave:
Thanks for the wise comments. but having in lived in Chicago, I've been told that stuff is just all old wives tales. Everywhere.

But hey, thanks for the complete lack of support other than citing yourself because that post was especially dim. Let me give you an example:

"Hey Mathguy, did you think that the KS hater's post was moronic?"

"Why yes Mathguy, it was moronic."

Well I guess that settles that.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,533 times
ahahahha, that's great post, I'm from Chicago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas