Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 12:52 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
According to schooldigger,https://www.schooldigger.com/go/KS/d...h.aspx?level=3
The schools there are about in the middle of the pack. If I had a blank slate and was moving to enhance my kids educational opportunities, I would start at the top. There are plenty of small towns in Kansas with excellent schools. You don't need to be in Lawrence or Blue Valley. Nemaha County school district is rated pretty high and Seneca KS has roughly the same population of Neodesha.
I can intelligently discuss Nemaha and Brown Counties. Mr. Dokie’s parents were from Seneca and Hiawatha and he still has a ton of cousins there.

Seneca has more nice, newer homes than just about any small town I’ve seen. There is a new development on the NW side around a golf course that could keep pace with anything JoCo could build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 02:03 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I can intelligently discuss Nemaha and Brown Counties. Mr. Dokie’s parents were from Seneca and Hiawatha and he still has a ton of cousins there.

Seneca has more nice, newer homes than just about any small town I’ve seen. There is a new development on the NW side around a golf course that could keep pace with anything JoCo could build.
Nemaha County performs better on most economic measures and retains greater real estate values than many other rural counties, better than Brown County by a good margin.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:20 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
My loony idea would be Neodesha proper or bust due to the free college tuition incentive. A good point was made, however, that if the public schools there aren’t great than any advantage I’d be providing my kids for higher learning opportunities could be hampered by potentially limiting the quality of their K-12 education.

I appreciate all the feedback here which has swiftly brought me back to reality on this one. The thought of moving to a small town seems interesting for a few moments until I realize all of the amenities and conveniences I’d be giving up from moving away from a medium-size metropolitan area. Ah well, guess it’s time to worry about making that green to be able to pay college tuition.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:19 PM

374 posts, read 563,609 times
KCUR has a recent article on Neodesha's promise:

https://www.kcur.org/post/shrinking-...ition#stream/0

I would describe the Neodesha Promise as a "social experiment."

Old 12-04-2019, 04:21 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
It seems like Friends University in Kansas once offered employee's family free tuition. One of my kids was offered and partial scholarship and I considered picking up stakes to fund the rest of it. Their website just says "competitive" compensation for employees.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:11 AM

922 posts, read 792,451 times
My husband and I moved from Denver to Chanute, KS four and a half years ago. Chanute is probably three times the size of Neodesha, but is still a very small town. We do have a Walmart and McDonald's and several other chain-type stores and restaurants, but whatever we don't have here is usually in one of the other small towns within a 50 miles radius. Driving to one of the other towns takes no more time than it would take to drive a few miles in Denver. The difference is instead of driving past strip malls, parking lots, traffic lights and apartment complexes, you are seeing corn fields, ranches, farm houses and grain silos.

I have friends that live in Neodesha and they love it there. Small town life in Kansas is a whole different world than living in even a medium sized city. I happen to love it here, and I have lived in huge cities my whole life.

My daughter and her family moved from Denver to a town in northwest Kansas right before her daughter was to start school. If they had stayed in Denver, she would have gone to a huge elementary school full of gang-bangers and illegals. She is now in the fourth grade and is absolutely thriving. Small town schools seem to be able to provide more of a focus on the individual kids rather than spending so much time corralling troublemakers and trying to teach kids that don't speak English.

Small town life is not for everyone and the same is true for city life. It all depends on your priorities, your goals and your financial situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas